TOL'ABLE DAVID and our FIRST ORIGINAL PRODUCTION!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mark Roth

TOL'ABLE DAVID and our FIRST ORIGINAL PRODUCTION!

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 5:21 am

We're very proud to announce our new release of the wonderful "Tol'able David" with an original score performed by John Mucci which includes "Greenstream (Blue Grass, Virginia)" the very first original production from Reelclassicdvd.com!

ImageImage
TOL'ABLE DAVID (1921)
and GREENSTREAM (Blue Grass, Virginia) (2018)

TOL'ABLE DAVID starring Richard Barthelmess, Gladys Hulette, Ernest Torrence and Marion Abbott. Directed by Henry King. Shot largely on location in Blue Grass, Virginia, "Tol'able David" is one of the most famous and best-loved films of the entire silent era. Originally intended to be directed by D.W. Griffith (who decided against it), the director's job eventually went to Henry King who created a true masterpiece. Telling the story of David and Goliath against a rural American setting, young David Kinemon must overcome the crippling of his brother and the death of his father to gain the strength and understanding of what it means to be a man. Richard Barthelmess and (the adorable) Gladys Hulette are pitch perfect as the young romantic couple. The true standout performance, however, is delivered by Ernest Torrence as the brutal, mindless murderer, Luke Hatburn. Even after nearly a century, his portrayal in this film is a frightening experience. An absolute classic of the silent cinema, Tol'able David is an unforgettable motion picture!

Original music score composed and performed by John Mucci!

GREENSTREAM (Blue Grass, Virginia) Over two lovely summer days, the intrepid Reelclassicdvd crew (consisting of one) visited the beautiful town of Blue Grass, Virginia - the site of many of the locations immortalized in "Tol'able David". Using stills and video, we've assembled this mini-documentary which captures the rural atmosphere and rugged beauty of Blue Grass in Virginia's Western Highlands. Several scenes from "Tol'able David" are featured along with comparison shots showing the locations as they appear today. There's even a video tour of The Hotel Monterey (later The Highland Inn) at which several of the cast and crew lived during filming. The scene of mystery, tragedy and scandal, the hotel has long had the reputation of being haunted.

To order, please visit our website: http://www.reelclassicdvd.com. Thanks for looking!

Mark
http://www.reelclassicdvd.com

Blackhawk Films
Customer #0107793

WaverBoy

Re: TOL'ABLE DAVID and our FIRST ORIGINAL PRODUCTION!

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 pm

I have the old Image DVD put out by David Shepard; how might the visual quality of that one compare to this one?

salus

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Gladys Hulette had a long life (1896-1991) and was in the silent film era from (1908-1933) Too bad there isn't any videos with her telling her story during those years.

ChristineURen

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 11:17 am

Stray thought: It really stood out to me when, in "Tol'able David," the women serve the men their meal and then stand back and fan them with those newspaper fans. I've seen a number of Bollywood movies that show the women serving the men their meal and then not joining them. (I recently learned from an Indian friend that the standard used to be, men ate first, then children, and then the women...if there was any left over. This practice is fading away.) I thought this was something that had never happened in America, but I read that the "Tol'able David" scene was based on the director's own memory of growing up in West Virginia.

Dean Thompson

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 pm

ChristineURen wrote:Stray thought: It really stood out to me when, in "Tol'able David," the women serve the men their meal and then stand back and fan them with those newspaper fans.... I thought this was something that had never happened in America, but I read that the "Tol'able David" scene was based on the director's own memory of growing up in West Virginia.

Christine, this was a very common practice in the 19th- and early 20th-century rural South and is mentioned in a number of Southern memoirs, among them Red Hills and Cotton by Ben Robertson. Those shredded newspaper fans, in fact, can still be found in some antique stores.

CoffeeDan

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 am

salus wrote:Gladys Hulette had a long life (1896-1991) and was in the silent film era from (1908-1933) Too bad there isn't any videos with her telling her story during those years.

Gladys Hulette did write an article about child stars for Liberty in 1927, including some of her own experiences. I'll look for this in my files and see if it adds anything pertinent to this conversation.

Return to Silent News