Announcing the 4th Annual "Watch That Movie" Night!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Announcing the 4th Annual "Watch That Movie" Night!

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 12:14 pm

You bought it on 8mm from Blackhawk. Later a good 16mm came on the market and you just had to have it. When VHS came along, you picked it up as a reference copy, then upgraded to the Image laserdisc. You resisted DVD as long as you could, but the review of the transfer sounded great and it was only $20. Then you felt the same way when the blu-ray came out, including a digital copy which you promptly put on your iPhone.

In fact, the only thing you never did with the movie... was watch it!

Yes, it's that time again, the dog days after the holidays and time for NitrateVille's own at-home film festival, the 4th Annual "Watch That Movie!" Night! If you haven't participated before, here's the idea. We all have movies that we couldn't wait to own— but never seem to get around to watching. They pile up faster than you can keep up with them, it seems. "Watch That Movie!" Night is the time we all take one of those movies from our collections and finally watch it— and tell our fellow NitrateVillains about it, expanding the base of knowledge about what's out there. And if you're game, you have a chance to win a movie on blu-ray or DVD, courtesy of our good friends at Kino— this year we're giving out three of their new releases from the Selznick collection, their best-ever-on-home-video editions of Nothing Sacred, A Farewell to Arms and the newest coming out in February, A Star is Born (1937, of course).

Here's how it works:

1. Pick a classic era movie that's been in your collection for at least a year, unwatched. (Blu-ray, DVD, VHS, 16mm, 9.5mm, whatever you have.)

2. Announce your choice in this thread.

3. Watch it on (or around) Friday, January 27th.

4. And post something, anything about it in this thread by Monday January 30th.

Winners will be selected at random from all posters by my children and announced here the next day. (In other words, it's not a literary contest— we're not judging your entry, whatever you post gets you into the drawing. Sorry, US and Canada posters only for the prize due to rights issues, but we'll be happy to hear from everybody all the same.)

So please join me in taking the "Watch That Movie!" Night pledge and announcing your choice over the coming days. Then be prepared for a great movie you might never have watched otherwise, and lots of interesting posts from NitrateVillains. If you've lurked but never posted before, what better way to make your first post than by joining in today!

So what's my "Watch That Movie!" movie choice? It's...

DESTINY (DER MÜDE TOD)

I looked at my silent DVD library and I'm pretty sure this is the oldest unwatched one in there... probably a decade by now. Early Fritz Lang— which, incidentally, you'll be hearing more of from Kino this year, as they have a collection of some of Lang's other earliest films coming out.

Here's the link to the first Watch that Movie Night thread, and the second, and the third. Check 'em out-- there's lots of great commentary in them.

Now, what will your choice be? Tell us!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Tastypotpie

Re: Announcing the 4th Annual "Watch That Movie" Night!

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 12:32 pm

I'll (probably) watch something called "Hollywood & Vine".
Some movie from PRC made back in 1945.
Stars Jimmy Ellison, buncha other people, and a dog named Daisy.

I don't know anything about this movie except that I got it on VHS years ago from a Goodwill and never watched it.

Might be good. Hopefully, it's a musical.

Salty Dog

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Okay, I picked up the Criterion Von Sternberg set the week it came out, but the only one I watched at the time was Underworld, which I had never seen before. Last Command I saw ages ago in the VHS version, but I have been meaning to watch the DVD and have not gotten to it yet. Let me do it that night!

Edit: Turns out I have other plans for Last Command now, so I will make it Docks of New York from the same set.
Last edited by Salty Dog on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Coleman

Richard Finegan

Marvin Hatley - Hollywood and Vine (1945)

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 4:33 pm

Tastypotpie wrote:I'll (probably) watch something called "Hollywood & Vine".

It's a fun one. But not a musical. It's a comedy about Hollywood with a good cast of familiar players.

The thing that makes it of most interest to me is that it's one of the last films for which the great Marvin Hatley wrote the music score. Marvin, as Laurel & Hardy fans surely know, is the man responsible for much of the wonderful music in Hal Roach films. If you're a Hatley fan, you'll know right away, even by the main title & credits music, this is Marvin's work and he's still got it. It's a shame he didn't do more in Hollywood after 1940 and have a longer career there.

Although the tunes he wrote for HOLLYWOOD AND VINE all bear new titles, appropriate for the scenes they accompany, it's fun to listen for several familiar music cues Marvin is reusing from some of his earlier scores such as BLOCK-HEADS (1938).

CliffordWeimer

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 4:40 pm

I went to the Sight & Sound list of Top Ten films (critics' choice), 2002, and the only film on the list I'd never seen was 8 1/2, which I've had for ages. SO... That's my pick.

Rodney

Re: Marvin Hatley - Hollywood and Vine (1945)

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Richard Finegan wrote:Although the tunes he wrote for HOLLYWOOD AND VINE all bear new titles, appropriate for the scenes they accompany, it's fun to listen for several familiar music cues Marvin is reusing from some of his earlier scores such as BLOCK-HEADS (1938).

Kim Novak would be SO DOWN on him for that!
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

missdupont

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 11:59 pm

I was given JOYEUX NOEL a few years ago, and what with WAR HORSE and DOWNTON ABBEY all about World War I, this would be an appropriate time to see it.

Frederica

PostThu Jan 12, 2012 11:13 am

Zen Master has a problem with the parameters of the contest, as she does not currently have any dvds lying around that she hasn't seen. (And after the last discard explosion, she has far fewer dvds today than she had last month.) Can Zen Master...(dammit)...can I pick an appropriate film and watch it through Netflix or Hulu?
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

rudyfan

PostThu Jan 12, 2012 11:59 am

It's not a year old, but I do have Treasures 5 to muck through.

I'm going to consult the shelves for oldies that remain unwatched, there must be plenty.

I know I do have a (I think) PD and gray market copy of the 1926 Nell Gwyn that needs watching.

I'll absolutely play, lemme check and see what and I'll edit this post once I know for sure.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Jan 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Zen Master has a problem with the parameters of the contest, as she does not currently have any dvds lying around that she hasn't seen. (And after the last discard explosion, she has far fewer dvds today than she had last month.) Can Zen Master...(dammit)...can I pick an appropriate film and watch it through Netflix or Hulu?

Sure. Pick something you've been meaning to watch forever, I guess...
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Frederica

PostThu Jan 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Sure. Pick something you've been meaning to watch forever, I guess...

I have two films I'm interested in seeing; although I can't say they've been on my personal list for ages and ages, they do fall in that British film category I've been exploring for the past few years. Both Over the Moon (1939, d. Thornton Freeland) and Lydia (1941, d. Julien Duvivier) are available on Hulu's Criterion collection. Both star Merle Oberon. I know, problematic for a lot of people, but I rather like her.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

CliffordWeimer

PostThu Jan 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I've changed my mind (and my choice). A few years ago, I was involved in bringing AIP films to DVD in England as part of the "Arkoff Film Library" series, and of the 25 DVDs that we ended up doing, one of them was a disc I still haven't watched to this day... Girls in Prison, 1956, with Adele Jergens and Richard Denning. So THAT is my selection. Wish me luck.

Scoundrel

PostFri Jan 13, 2012 11:01 am

Mike, I'll see your DESTINY and raise with NOMADS OF THE NORTH.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Flyin' A

PostFri Jan 13, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm going with "Headwinds" (1926) starring hubba hubba House Peters. According to the cover it's story of a man who kidnaps the woman he loves to prevent her from marrying the wrong man.

I may do a double feature with "Little Orphant (sic) Annie" (1918) starring Colleen Moore.

Both are on tape!

rudyfan

PostFri Jan 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Got it! Beloved Rogue with Barrymore. Never seen it, been on the shelf for over a year.

ratkins

PostSat Jan 14, 2012 3:55 am

rudyfan wrote:Got it! Beloved Rogue with Barrymore. Never seen it, been on the shelf for over a year.

I love Beloved Rogue! That's the film that opened the Barrymore door for me. Mine will be The Better 'Ole. I've had it for a while now and still haven't watched it. I DVR'd off Turner 3 years ago and then bought it and I think it's still on my DVR.

Roseha

PostSat Jan 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Okay I can play - I have just unwrapped my film - a VHS of the restored Kino release (tinted with orchestra) of the 1924 PETER PAN with Betty Bronson, Ernest Torrence and Anna May Wong. This was given to me by a former co-worker well over five years ago - in fact it says "1999" on it so it may well have been over ten years ago! Fortunately I should be able to play it on my DVD/VHS machine. I am sure I haven't seen this. (I did read the book, in fact I have an old version called "Peter and Wendy".)

Mike, please don't put my name in the hat though - I was very lucky to win last time and would like to help someone else have a chance.
- Rosemary

CoffeeDan

PostSun Jan 15, 2012 2:48 am

I just looked up my last WTM Night post from two years ago, and found that I have since watched two of the three films I had selected. Just to catch up this year, I'm going to watch the third, still in the original shrink wrap: THE GARDEN OF EDEN.

Tastypotpie

Re: Marvin Hatley - Hollywood and Vine (1945)

PostSun Jan 15, 2012 3:08 am

Richard Finegan wrote:
Tastypotpie wrote:I'll (probably) watch something called "Hollywood & Vine".

It's a fun one. But not a musical. It's a comedy about Hollywood with a good cast of familiar players.

The thing that makes it of most interest to me is that it's one of the last films for which the great Marvin Hatley wrote the music score. Marvin, as Laurel & Hardy fans surely know, is the man responsible for much of the wonderful music in Hal Roach films. If you're a Hatley fan, you'll know right away, even by the main title & credits music, this is Marvin's work and he's still got it. It's a shame he didn't do more in Hollywood after 1940 and have a longer career there.

Although the tunes he wrote for HOLLYWOOD AND VINE all bear new titles, appropriate for the scenes they accompany, it's fun to listen for several familiar music cues Marvin is reusing from some of his earlier scores such as BLOCK-HEADS (1938).

hey, thanks for the info. :D
I'll be looking forward to watching this

Rob Farr

PostSun Jan 15, 2012 7:55 am

I'm going for Story of a Cheat on the Sacha Guitry Criterion set.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

Rollo Treadway

PostSun Jan 15, 2012 10:31 am

The Douglas Fairbanks collection from Flicker Alley has been on my shelf for a couple of years, but there are still a few of the films I haven't gotten around to. My choice for Watch That Movie Night will be Wild and Woolly, and I expect to have a thoroughly good time.

Will try to write something useful about the film, but stop me if I get too pompous about Doug "subverting the Western genre" or anything in that manner.

Gagman 66

PostSun Jan 15, 2012 8:38 pm

:o OK, Speaking of Western's I have yet to watch John Ford's JUST PALS from the John Ford A Fox Silents Box-set. Maybe I will make that title a priority. Also haven't watched either documentary of the Flicker Alley CHICAGO DVD.

Rollo,

By the way, the title flick in the early Douglas Fairbanks Flicker Alley set "A MODERN MUSKETEER" is excellent.

Rosa,

PETER PAN (1924) is great, but it has since been released on DVD.

Little Caesar

PostSun Jan 15, 2012 9:07 pm

I've had "The African Queen" blu-ray for over a year now. Since I haven't watched it yet, it is my choice.
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

Roseha

PostSun Jan 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Rosa,

PETER PAN (1924) is great, but it has since been released on DVD.

Thanks for the update, Gagman. Will watch the VHS for the event though since I've had it so long (probably on the 28th since I work Friday nights).
- Rosemary

Mitch Farish

PostMon Jan 16, 2012 7:42 pm

My choice is John Ford's Hangman's House, on the same DVD with 3 Bad Men (the movie I really wanted when I bought the disc). Although Hangman's House has John Wayne in a crowd scene, I'll be watching it more for June Collyer.

greta de groat

PostMon Jan 16, 2012 11:43 pm

I don't have any unwatched films at home, so can't quite obey the rules of the contest either. However, it's a good excuse to catch up on some at the library that i have been meaning to see for a long time. I'm planning to check out People on Sunday and The Letter.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

drednm

PostTue Jan 17, 2012 7:34 am

I finally broke down and watched So This Is College, a 1929 MGM college film with music. I bought it from Warners a while back but Robert Montgomery is not a fave so I shelved it.

Right off the bat, I was surprised to see Elliott Nugent billed over Montgomery and at 33, a pretty old college senior (Montgomery was 25). Nugent acted in 17 or so films and some TV but is better known as a writer/director. He was son of actor J.C. Nugent. This might be Montgomery's first starring role.

Anyway. In another of those "2 pals who fall for the same girl" plots, Nugent and Montgomery are college football heroes and roomies. They both fall for Babs (Sally Starr, her talkie debut), have lots of parties (it is college after all), and endlessly singing, listening to, or dancing to "I Don't Want Your Kisses if I Can't Have Your Love." Starr falls for Nugent which sends Montgomery into a petulant sulk. Can the 2 pals make up in time for the "big game"? Real footage of a USC/Stanford game is used along with lots of location shooting on USC campus.

On hand in support are Cliff Edwards (another mid-30s college senior) who sings a snappy "Sophomore Prom," Lee Shumway as the coach, Polly Moran as the cook, and Phyllis Crane as Betty. Among the bit players are Joel McCrea, Ward Bond, Ann Dvorak, Ray Cooke, Richard Carle, Delmer Daves, and of course Grady Sutton.

There's a bizarre subplot about a dry cleaner, his wife, and a pair of pants. Max Davidson and Ann Brody are the couple.

Funniest bit has Polly Moran running back to the kitchen after the "boys" sitting at a U-shaped table pelt her with saltines while they scream, "Polly want a cracker?'
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Harlett O'Dowd

PostTue Jan 17, 2012 8:53 am

I still need to weed through the ever-increasing pile, but it looks as if it will be one of the Students of Prague.

Rick Lanham

PostTue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 am

I will watch The Volga Boatman (VHS).

I may have seen it decades ago, if it was on TV, but don't have any real memories of doing so.

Rick

Derwiddian

PostTue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am

Griffith's The Greatest Question has been on the shelf for a long time now, and so that's probably the one. But if a copy of The Sentimental Bloke arrives from Australia before the 27th, I may just ignore the rules and let Griffith sit till 2013.
Next

Return to Silent News