Grapevine Video Releases HULA (1927) w/Clara Bow

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bobfells

Grapevine Video Releases HULA (1927) w/Clara Bow

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Among Grapevine Video's February releases is HULA (1927) directed by Victor Fleming and starring Clara Bow and Clive Brook

Here's a link for all seven of the Feb releases:
http://www.grapevinevideo.com/new_releases.html

Gagman 66

Re: Grapevine Video Releases HULA (1927) w/Clara Bow

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 12:47 pm

:? If only I knew Grapevine was releasing HULA, maybe Jack could have used my lovingly compiled score? I actually re-scored it twice. I'm curious to know how the transfer compare's to Rich one for Sunrise Silents in 2009, which was extremely good quality.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 2:17 pm

Gagman 66 wrote: I'm curious to know how the transfer compare's to Ric one for Sunrise Silents in 2009, which was extremely good quality.

Maybe that's the one I've got--opens with Hawaiian steel guitar?

A "featured player" in this picture is the same little dog with a big personality, a white terrier-mix, that had a principal part in Peg O' My Heart, & at least 3 or 4 other pictures, but was never identified in any of them, regrettably.

Gagman 66

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 5:01 pm

:? I think you got HULA from me in a trade? But I re-did it a couple times, so I'm not sure which version you have? I'll post a few clips here if there are no objections?

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::? I think you got HULA from me in a trade? But I re-did it a couple times, so I'm not sure which version you have? I'll post a few clips here if there are no objections?

Quite possibly--a good while back. Another piece of music that I like a lot includes a Theremin in the instrumentation.

WaverBoy

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 11:54 am

I wonder how Jack's print/transfer compares with the Sunrise one, which is pretty good. I might just hafta find out. I love this film. Rich Olivieri's score for his Sunrise release is quite good indeed, but I really wish it could have been done on real instruments, or at least done using better software such as Miditzer; there are no dynamics, every note is exactly the same volume, which hurts, and it's the same with all of Rich's otherwise serviceable scores that I've heard.

bobfells

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 9:00 am

HULA arrived and the good news is that this Grapevine Video release definitely gets a Thumbs Up! Here are some screen grabs:

Gagman 66

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Bob,

:) Rich's transfer was probably a little brighter, and subbed still frames for the opening titles. But this still looks pretty good. from what I can see?

LouieD

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Isn't this film still under copyright? If so, I thought there was a rule on Nitrateville not to promote the sale pirated films?

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 7:48 pm

LouieD wrote:Isn't this film still under copyright? If so, I thought there was a rule on Nitrateville not to promote the sale pirated films?

"Pirated"? The true & fitting description of such films is "liberated."

LouieD

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 12:32 am

entredeuxguerres wrote:
"Pirated"? The true & fitting description of such films is "liberated."

HA! I think there are certain lawyers who would certainly LOVE to disagree with you.

Danny Burk

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 9:09 am

LouieD wrote:Isn't this film still under copyright? If so, I thought there was a rule on Nitrateville not to promote the sale pirated films?

We don't allow offers to sell, trade, copy, and so on. If a film is available from an "outside source" such as Youtube, Grapevine, etc. that anyone could easily find (Google search or whatever), no problem to discuss it here.

Gagman 66

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 pm

:? It's not like HULA is ever going to be released through Paramount from a 35 millimeter source. Even though it does survive in 35 MM. So I doubt that they are steamed about it. Same goes for most if not all of the other Paramount titles that Jack has released in the past. Still hoping for good transfers of STAGE STRUCK, and A KISS FOR CINDERELLA at some point. Paramount maybe has some interest in A CHILDREN OF DIVORCE as it is impossible to find anywhere on the gray market.

LouieD

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Danny Burk wrote:We don't allow offers to sell, trade, copy, and so on. If a film is available from an "outside source" such as Youtube, Grapevine, etc. that anyone could easily find (Google search or whatever), no problem to discuss it here.

Thanks for the clarification Danny!

WaverBoy

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 2:30 am

bobfells wrote:HULA arrived and the good news is that this Grapevine Video release definitely gets a Thumbs Up! Here are some screen grabs:

Thanks, looks good! How's the music score?

Jim Roots

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 6:57 am

This is the film in which Clara bellows a very easily lipread "Owww ... SHIT!" upon being stung by a bee.

I've got Grapevine's old VHS version from the early 1990s and in fact I watched it again just a few months ago. Fun!

Jim

bobfells

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 am

Waverboy, HULA's musical accompaniment is a pipe organ score by David Knudtson. He seems to have performed it with the film and its no needle drop. Nice job, Mr. Knudtson understands that the music is meant to complement the visuals, not compete with them.

WaverBoy

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Good to hear, thanks! HULA and THE COAST PATROL are now on the way to me. Super-excited to see the latter; I'm always up for more Fay Wray!

entredeuxguerres

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 8:12 pm

WaverBoy wrote: Super-excited to see the latter; I'm always up for more Fay Wray!

So am I: "An innocent young girl ruined by a scoundrel"; lucky scoundrel! Alas, I can't bear the sound of an organ score; better, to my ears, a well-chosen needle-drop than ANY organ score.

Scoundrel

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Thank You.

:D
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

WaverBoy

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 12:55 am

entredeuxguerres wrote:
WaverBoy wrote: Super-excited to see the latter; I'm always up for more Fay Wray!

So am I: "An innocent young girl ruined by a scoundrel"; lucky scoundrel! Alas, I can't bear the sound of an organ score; better, to my ears, a well-chosen needle-drop than ANY organ score.

David Knudtson's scores are quite good. Too bad you're averse to organ scores.

Christopher Jacobs

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 2:19 am

bobfells wrote:Waverboy, HULA's musical accompaniment is a pipe organ score by David Knudtson. He seems to have performed it with the film and its no needle drop. Nice job, Mr. Knudtson understands that the music is meant to complement the visuals, not compete with them.

Good to hear! Much as I hate buying DVDs these days, I may have to get this now! I actually know Dave (who lives an hour or so south of me in Moorhead, MN) and have seen him play the "Mighty Wurlitzer" for numerous silents live at both campus showings and Fargo Theatre showings, some that he prepared in advance and others playing cold watching for the first time. He invariably provides a superb musical accompaniment and knows how to make effective use of the theatre organ as a means of helping the film tell the story rather than working against it or simply showing off as inexperienced accompanists so often tend to do. I certainly wish his score was on THE PENALTY. Nothing quite says "silent movies" like a good theatre pipe organ in the hands of a skilled accompanist! It's like time-traveling back to a 1920s movie palace. Every DVD/Blu-ray of a silent should have at least one pipe organ score, along with a piano score, and if financially possible an orchestra score (unless it's by Maria Newman!).

Gagman 66

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 6:17 pm

:) An excerpt entitled "ALL HULA BREAKS LOSE!" with my compiled score.

WaverBoy

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 2:30 am

I received my copies of both HULA and THE COAST PATROL. Grapevine's HULA isn't quite as sharp as Sunrise's, but very nearly, and is a bit darker, but that's ok, because it also doesn't have blown-out whites as much either. And David Knudtson's organ score is very good. All in all, a quite presentable edition. Pick this one up while you can, folks. THE COAST PATROL looks pretty good too, with another nice Knudtson score. Haven't watched the whole film, just skimmed through the beginning a bit; looks like quite the charmer. Fay Wray, what a doll! Kudos to Mr. Hardy for continuing to dig up these rare obscure gems.

bobfells

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 9:23 am

Just a note to those who can view DVDs on their laptop. A number of the video software programs such as vlc have settings to adjust brightness, contrast, and even sharpness. Some will even play Region 2 discs so you can order DVDs from the UK and play them w/o purchasing a region-free or all-regions player. It's rare that I can't coax a very good image using the vlc software. In cases of poor quality such the editions of BEAU GESTE that are kicking around the grey market, I use a portable player with a 7 inch screen. This also has settings for brightness/contrast that improve the image. Even little thing helps!

Return to Silent News