Watch That Movie Night 2015— Win Kino Releases

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Watch That Movie Night 2015— Win Kino Releases

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 pm

Watch That Movie Night at NitrateVille is Friday, January 23

The snow is snowing
The wind is blowing
Unless you're a NitrateVillain from Aus— (tralia)
What do we care how much winter's a fright
We've got old movies for Watch That Movie Night!

It's time once again for NitrateVille's relief from the dreariness of winter, the time when we challenge you to dig something out of your movie collection, watch it and tell your fellow NitrateVillains all about it. And as they've done for seven years straight... if you were Max Linder, you'd call that Seven Years' Good Luck... our friends at Kino Lorber are sweetening the deal with the giveaway of three of their recent releases:

• The newly restored blu-ray edition of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, the best this movie has looked since Robert Wiene was looking at the dailies
• The Death Kiss, a fun B-movie mystery reuniting three stars of Dracula— Bela Lugosi, David Manners and Edward Van Sloan— and looking downright rescued from PD Hell on blu-ray by the Library of Congress
• And The Max Linder Collection, a solid 3-1/2 hours of comedy (four features) by the French comedian admired by Chaplin and so many others (DVD only)

The idea is, we nearly all have things that have been in our collections for a long time, unwatched—blu-ray, DVD, VHS, 16mm, 9.5mm, whatever you have. Here's your chance to finally watch them and share your enjoyment (or not) with others. And if you're one of those people who actually watches everything as it comes in, that's okay too— just pick something you've wanted to see for a long time. Or anything. Then:

1. Announce your choice in this thread.

2. Watch it on (or around) Friday, January 23.

3. And post something, anything about it in this thread by Monday, January 26th.

Winners will be selected at random from all posters and announced here the next day. (In other words, it's not a literary contest— we're not judging your entry, whatever you post gets you into the drawing. Sorry, US and Canada posters only for the prize due to rights issues, but we'll be happy to hear from everybody all the same.)

So please join me in taking the "Watch That Movie Night" pledge and announcing your choice over the coming days. Then be prepared for a great movie you might never have watched otherwise, and lots of interesting posts from NitrateVillains. If you've lurked but never posted before, what better way to make your first post than by joining in today!

Here's the link to the first Watch that Movie Night thread, and the second, the third, the fourth, the fifth and the sixth. Check 'em out-- there's lots of great commentary in them.

I'll start it off. For only the second time, I'm actually picking a Kino release to watch on Watch That Movie Night. I bought Kino's three releases of classic Swedish silents when they came out— which was long enough ago that I wrote about two of them at alt.movies.silent, Sir Arne's Treasure and Erotikon, but I never got around to watching The Saga of Gosta Berling, with Greta Garbo. Three hours of Swedish drama— you can't ask for a better relief from the harshness of midwestern winter than that! :)
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Frederica

Re: Watch That Movie Night 2015— Win Kino Releases

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 9:42 am

If it arrives in time, I'll watch The White Reindeer (1952), a Finnish film directed by Erik Blomberg. If it doesn't, I'll find something.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

rudyfan

PostTue Jan 13, 2015 1:11 am

Oh cripes, I have a pile of new films. No idea on a title, but, I will play!

Damfino28

PostTue Jan 13, 2015 7:44 am

Wow, wonderful! I have so many silents I haven't had time to watch yet; this is just the push I need to get me to start watching them! Maybe Cut to the Chase? Becoming Charley Chase? Big Stakes? The Dragon Painter?

35MM

PostTue Jan 13, 2015 10:12 pm

I'll watch "Lost and Found: American Treasures From the New Zealand Film Archive."
CURSES!

missdupont

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 9:21 am

I'll watch DOLLY OF THE DAILIES and WON IN A CUPBOARD from the Lost & Found: Treasures from the New Zealand Film Archive.

bettedavis

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Oooh I have a couple in the yet to watch pile that include Flying Fleet, Don Juan, and The Patsy(i know, i know, late to the game, finally getting into Marion Davies tho!)

seaquest

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 3:50 pm

I'll take a look at Lon Chaney's "Shadows" (1922) Amazon sent me the budget edition by accident, so after weeks of waiting, I've finally returned it and gotten the right version. I'm very excited now to own the Image edition with a Gaylord Carter organ score!

Daveismyhero

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 10:20 am

These are always fun! I'll have to dig through the Christmas goodies and I'll report back with my choice.
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

Rollo Treadway

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 12:06 pm

My choice will be the German silent Die Frau, nach der man sich sehnt (The Woman One Longs for), starring Marlene Dietrich and Fritz Kortner, and directed by Kurt Bernhardt (who would later be known as Curtis Bernhardt in his U.S. career).

As usual though, I assume us foreigners are out of the loop for the actual prizes. I'd write a protest letter about this unfortunate discrimination to my congressman — if I had one.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 8:03 am

Almost ten years ago I acquired the box set called Treasures from American Archives (i.e. the first of the series), and devoured most of the contents early on. But there’s one feature film in the set I somehow never got around to watching: The Chechahcos (1924), the only production of the Alaska Moving Picture Corporation, filmed entirely on location in that state. The title, according to the set’s liner notes, is an Intuit word for “tenderfoot.” I don’t know, perhaps I avoided this one because Nanook of the North made my eyes glaze over, but from the description it’s clear that this is no ethnographic documentary; instead, it's a fictional story featuring a lost child, mother love, villainy, etc. etc., with lots of action. It actually sounds like fun, and entirely appropriate for wintertime, to boot.
-- Charlie Morrow

oldposterho

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 10:55 pm

Kino's Our Hospitality.

I know, I know...

--Peter

Henry Nicolella

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 8:36 pm

GRUMPY (1930). Got it because I was curious about Cyril Maude and it's one of the few Frances Dade movies around. I've been meaning to watch for a year or so. I guess now's the time.
Henry Nicolella

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 7:23 am

Okay folks, time to sign up! It's this Friday and we only have a few folks signed up where in past years we've had more every single year. So look at your collection, and then take the pledge of what you'll watch and say something about this weekend. And if you've never posted only lurked... this is a great time to finally take the plunge and maybe win one of these Kino titles! So pick a movie and sign up today!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Jim Reid

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 8:35 am

What if you could go back and relive your life while keeping the memories of future events? Turn Back the Clock, a 1933 Lee Tracy MGM film from Warner Archive tells that story. In a recent Facebook conversation about time travel movies, Lou Sabini suggested that I watch this title. I've taken it off the shelf, replaced it, and taken it down again. Just haven't found the time to get it watched. This is now the time!

Daveismyhero

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 11:48 am

I'm officially in to watch either The Saphead or Why Worry? I have a daddy-daughter dance with my daughter on the 23rd, so I'll have to watch the film later that weekend.

Have fun with this everyone!
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

Nazimovafan

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 2:13 pm

In our Ontario farmhouse we will watch A Cottage on Dartmoor.

Derwiddian

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 3:06 pm

I'll go with Robert Wiene's Raskolnikow (1923), though I understand the Alpha Video print (as "Crime and Punishment") I've been avoiding is atrocious. After watching it in English, I will then watch the much better YouTube version with Russian titles so at least I will have an idea how it was supposed to look.

greta de groat

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 10:58 pm

I'm out of town this weekend without a DVD player, though i have downloaded the youTube copies of A Message from Mars and Salvation Hunters onto my iPad, but that's not exactly following the rules.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Christopher Jacobs

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 1:17 am

I think it's high time that I finally watch at least one of films I haven't seen in Flicker Alley's "French Masterworks: Russian Émigrés in Paris" box set. I've already watched THE LATE MATHIAS PASCAL on Blu-ray, but since this set is DVD-only it's been sitting on the shelf since I got it, as I've generally been resisting looking at any movies on DVD in favor of Blu-ray releases. Tonight I finally broke down and watched THE BURNING CRUCIBLE (LE BRASIER ARDENT) for the first time, and was unexpectedly impressed that the image quality looks almost as good as many Blu-rays and even better than some. The movie itself was also bizarre fun (although Mosjoukine always tends to wear way too much lipstick and eyeliner for film).

My choice for this Friday night will be Ivan Mosjoukine's film KEAN (1924) directed by Alexandre Volkoff. I've seen bits of the film on TCM and have been wanting to see the film ever since the 16mm rental listing in the old Audio Brandon catalog back some 35 years ago when I was in college and taking theatre history classes. Now that the DVD has been out for nearly two years, it's time to take a look at the whole thing.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 6:57 am

I'm out of town this weekend without a DVD player, though i have downloaded the youTube copies of A Message from Mars and Salvation Hunters onto my iPad, but that's not exactly following the rules.

It's okay! Technology advances!

All right, we're inching toward 20 participants, I'd like to see at least 25 though I think the record is 37 or something. Make a pledge and sign up today!

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 1:56 pm

I will watch The Fall of the House of Usher/La Chute de la Maison Usher (1928) from the Allday DVD.

This is the Jean Epstein/Luis Bunuel version. The DVD package assures me that it is "pure Gothic eye-candy and must-see viewing for all aficionados of fantastic film." !

Rick

Petebain

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm in. At my house we are going to watch the blu ray restoration of "The Call of the Wild".

Pete

Mitch Farish

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 3:56 pm

I will be watching The Canadian (1926) that I bought from Grapevine not quite a year ago, but who's counting?

Frederica

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Mitch Farish wrote:I will be watching The Canadian (1926) that I bought from Grapevine not quite a year ago, but who's counting?

Lucky you, great film. Enjoy.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

CoffeeDan

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Lately, I've been watching a stack of late silents and early talkies from Fox, Paramount, and Universal that I got at Cinevent a few years ago, but have hardly touched till now. Next one up is LAUGHTER (1930) with Fredric March and Nancy Carroll, so I'll be watching that on Friday night . . .

Brooksie

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 3:42 am

I think I'll be getting in just in time - my choice is the British film The Last Chance (1937).

theprezz

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 1:30 pm

I remember doing this last year -- it was quite fun. It doesn't seem like its been a full year though!

I picked up the Criterion bluray of Fritz Lang's M a couple years ago and have yet to watch it, so at the moment that is my first choice. If one of my roommates is using our home theater I may have to move to a backup DVD choice, since our theater is the only way I have to watch blurays.

Salty Dog

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Okay, I got the Olive Secret Beyond the Door a couple of years ago and
have not watched it so far, I'll give that a try.
Bill Coleman

Agnes

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 pm

I actually have a film that I have been pushing other things ahead of ......for about 11 years.

And for the last 3 years, I would consider watching it for the "Watch That Movie Night", and then find soemthing that I was more excited about and list that as my choice. This one has dust, but I do want to see it. I am not sure if it is even still in [print.

My kids were in a school play in 2004.....Peter Pan. My husband thought in the spirit of that he would buy me the Kino disc of Peter Pan (1924) staring Betty Bronson. Before I could watch my silent film, the kids' play arrived..............a 4 hour production in which I think every kid in the school got a line! Even my mother ( and grandmas are always so kind and charitable about the grandkids) says it is still the most painful production through which she ever had to sit.

After that, I just had a hard time getting myself to sit through a Peter Pan story.

Well, Betty Bronson was very good in Ben Hur, and after 11 years the prejudice against Mr. Barrie's ( lengthy re-writtten by a grade-school mom) tale should have worn off.

I will watch Peter Pan(1924).

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!
Next

Return to Silent News