The Scanning and Restoration of PICTURELAND Logbook.

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Silencebound

Re: The Scanning and Restoration of PICTURELAND Logbook.

PostSat Mar 12, 2016 12:38 am

Almost blew me off after overpassed the frame counting at 10,016 frames of 'Pictureland", as the 10,000th scanned
frame, pictured here, today on Saturday 12th March, 2015, after began scanning it on 1st September, 2015. No problem with my Epson flatbed film scanner with the best performance as always, but unfortunately, my computer has crashed during scanning the 8,884th frames and lost six days during overhaul my stupid slowest-snail Windows 10 computer. Everything of my personal files was deleted from computer but have all files already transferred to backed-up 4TB hard drive and fully restored it right back on track. Beside that, all the scanned files of 'Pictureland' was scanned directly to 4TB hard drive only, not to my standard computer's hard drive. I have changed the transferring route plan to 4TB last year and going superb.
Well, sorry to report that Mary Pickford is not found in any scanned frames and very strongly likely that she never appeared in any forthcoming remaining frames nor any coming scenes. Too bad. That doesn't worry me to be damned, anyway, but some other stars in this Ince's film is bit kinda of worthwhile performance as the year is 1911, that's why. There is very few rolls left, about 4,000 more frames to go. Okay, let's see this 10,000th frame shown here. :)

Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/ and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

Rick Lanham

PostSat Mar 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Congratulations on this milestone and I applaud you for taking the necessary steps to back up all of your work.
Looking forward to seeing the movie when you are done.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Silencebound

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 12:45 am

Thanks, Rick. I have found an another film print from Gaumont of a French short entry. See it at 'Collecting and Preservation' column. Cheers. Rob.
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/ and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

alvisrocks

PostSat Mar 26, 2016 10:37 pm

During this time the actors were still not being promoted as they would be in years to come- or even identified.

So its entirely possible that Pickford is not in this given the time period, when actors were just starting to get credit for their work, though I am with those who are still not sure. They were just starting to recognize the actors so they may not have had the will or maybe even the means to credit them accurately,

By the way, has anyone contacted the Pickford Estate to get their opinion on whether Mary is in any of these frames?

At any rate I am in awe of Silencebound's painstaking work. Reminds me of stories of the medieval monks who would spend months or even years tediously transcribing books by hand. And very excited to see the finished print.

Silencebound

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Now I'm scanning the 11,533th frame while typing this post. I think that Mary Pickford may be appeared in the pre-ending shot of "Pictureland", but I'm still not sure. Sorry, mates. It might will be about two-three weeks before letting you all know the exact result. All the footage of 'Pictureland' being wound-up on the NINE 100ft rolls as it must be around 900ft to 950ft in full length. Say that it's between about '14,000 to 14,500' frames, to be sure. Still, it's not really long way to finish scanning all the survived remaining frames. Probably will be done before at end of this May or bit earlier, at least. :)

Spider

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 11:48 am

Great work, Silencebound, and good thinking on backing it up. I'll keep following this thread for updates. :)

alvisrocks wrote:At any rate I am in awe of Silencebound's painstaking work. Reminds me of stories of the medieval monks who would spend months or even years tediously transcribing books by hand. And very excited to see the finished print.

I couldn't agree more.

Silencebound

PostSun May 08, 2016 4:36 am

At last after several weeks' absence of posting the new latest information about my worry-plunged task on scanning this awfully long-awaiting Thomas Ince's classic. I have a very terrible news ( but not for long ) that my Epson scanner has scanned something unwelcomed foreign material that has struck against at some frames with some faintest red/green lines at above area on the scanned frames. Which it was from Frame No. 12,614 to No. 12,716 ( only first 102 frames ) of the beginning of the last 100ft roll of 'Pictureland', which have the hair-crawlin' problem. I have to suspended the scanning job for nearly four weeks until last Friday. Then I unassembled the scanner and removed the small hairy material inside the light section's mouth, and also at depth area inside the mirror section's mouth. It looks 'not-so-good' impression and also got a loose-out coil, which unbeknowest to me, the coil mechanism has lapped over that resulted in the seemingly 'breakdown' of the whole Epson scanner. That left me out in cold for nearly a month. But, beside that, I have successfully ordered the 100% exact same scanner of the 100-voltage Epson GF-8200UF unit directly from Fukaoka, Japan. It has arrived successfully to my door last Friday. Have also unassambled the 'new-replacement' second-handed scanner and discovered the correctly-fixed coil position which the old one has loosen it out. Very fortunately, I pulled aback the coil inside it and returned into very normal position. I have tested the same scanner and is going very perfectly without the devastated unwanted small messy hair in the scanned frames. Everything is back to normal, as the new-replacement scanner, with original retail package, is not needed. But it probably be great enough to replace any old part for a new one in the future, for instance.
I understandably knew that all of you are desperately awaiting for the completion pic of "Pictureland", so I have found the scenes involding with mandolin-playing along with it's film characters Pablo and Rosita is sitting outside the Cuban house, playing his mandolin while Rosita is sleeping on her rocking chair. As that I have decided to pick a new music MP3 soundtrack of the actual 1910-era Mandolin music of four different selection tracks which are intenting for the full-version "Pictureland" release. Normally, I only add the Piano soundtracks in it entirely on any other non-Mandolin scenes but while Pablo and Rosita is involding in the certain scenes with continuous Mandolin music cues, then it is quite best decision to add the Mandolin music as only if Rosita is in her sleeping cue with dreaming scenes, which the 'sleeping-with-mandolin' scenes is to be performed for approximately 5 minutes and around 15 seconds. I think that it is the best opportunity for this. Now, I have worked out the newest seven-minutes special Mandolin score selection just FOR YOU to listen if that is good enough to qualify for the Rosita's Sleeping scenes, which I have uploaded it to YouTube this morning. Let's have a check at the four mandolin tracks and what do you think about it. I am awaiting to get your decision whether to love it or hate it.

Turpinutz

PostSun May 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Rob. I too must commend you for being so doggedly persevering with this film.
And then to buy a new scanner to continue your dedication. Amazing!

I'm looking forward to your presentation of this film, and hope to find Ben Turpin in there as well.

But regarding your want for music ideas for the film, or the sequence you mention, trash all your samples.
To me they are too "Bluegrassy" for the film...

Being set in Cuba, I suggest your work have Cuban flavored music such as this example:

Thank you for all your incredible work my friend.

- Steve Rydzewski
Last edited by silentfilm on Mon May 30, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link

Silencebound

PostSun May 08, 2016 11:39 pm

Thanks, Steve. Sorry to report that Ben Turpin doesn't appeared nor showed up anywhere in the frames in the 14 minutes long short film "Pictureland". Again, I'm sorry. Well, regarding about the Mandolin music scores uploaded here, so please wait for some Nitratevillers to hear about the actual 1910-era mandolin scores here. We will wait for their sayings. I'd like to follow your decision about this matter, anyway.
I am considering to purchuse the max-speed scanner that capables to scan a frame by click-a-frame software, but time will be a factor to get my exact decision to buy it. I'd love to get Retro-8 scanner WITH scan frame on JPEG clips, the better as that why the JPEG frame is simple for cropping and restoring the damaged emulsions, etc. But bad news that it cost around AUS$6,500 to get it, oh, groan . . . :(

oldposterho

PostMon May 09, 2016 8:49 am

I thought the mandolin tracks worked. Agree that something more 'Spanishy' would arguably be better but I'd hate to be the one to find a period Cuban mandolin track. (Paging radiotelefonia...)

A case could certainly be made that a US style song would be appropriate given the context of the filmmakers, the intended audience, and the general cultural cluelessness of the time.

piper cochrane

PostThu May 26, 2016 3:28 pm

I love it! Great job! My grandfather , Tom Cochrane produced this film and many more as you film buffs might know.

Our coffee table book is coming out shortly.....

He would love to know (if he were alive) that all is still loved and respected!

Thank you, Piper Cochrane ;-)

Silencebound

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 11:27 pm

piper cochrane wrote:I love it! Great job! My grandfather , Tom Cochrane produced this film and many more as you film buffs might know.

Our coffee table book is coming out shortly.....

He would love to know (if he were alive) that all is still loved and respected!

Thank you, Piper Cochrane ;-)

Sound bit rather surprised, doesn't it ? :o

Silencebound

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 11:53 pm

Nearly finished scanning the ninth and final 100ft reel of "Pictureland", with less than 500 frames to go . . . That's about 3-4 days remaining to work on. Should be around 14,500 frames when completed, equal approximately 14 and an half minutes, but some others has incorrectly reported that it was shown at '10 minutes' long from IMDB website, especially Mary Pickford which was not even appeared in there ! Hopefully anyone who will fix the lines there as NO Mary Pickford ever found in any scanned frames and coming frames, either. Better to change her 'so-called' name into 'Isabel Rea', a blonde actress as her hair being wrapped-up tightly and hidden inside by a shorten black wig for her role as 'Rosita'. By the special way, I will do the 5-6 minutes videomaking of me with the few last frame scanning of 'Pictureland', and watch me explodin' off like a madman to finally completing the 9-months gruelling scanning job ! :D

Silencebound

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 12:59 am

NOW FINISHED SCANNING ALL SURVIVED FRAMES OF "PICTURELAND" !!! Now, please view this new video of the sequel of "The Scanning Production of 'PICTURELAND' - Part 2. The Final Frames Countdown". Just seven minutes with C.C. English subtitles provided here.
Well, there's just a little game for you to see what I have found out during the scanning of final frames. It's just only two of the special revelations that any of you can answer it right here. Sorry, I won't tell which one. I have worked very terrible hard for nearly 10 month of this superb film project, so that I want you to the same to find the two discovering images but it is quite fairly easy. Well, go for it now ! Enjoy it ! :D

eidoloscope

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 7:10 am

Congratulations Silencebound!! I can't wait to see the result of all your hard work!

oldposterho

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 9:34 am

Ditto. That is an extraordinary feat of patience and perseverance. Definitely looking forward to the results.

Darren Nemeth

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Looking forward to seeing the end results!

Mark Zimmer

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 9:07 am

Congratulations! This must be a particularly rewarding project, especially with the nifty discoveries you mention. I enjoyed the exultation at the end. :D

Silencebound

PostWed Aug 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Got few important line directly from Wikipedia featuring old Silent actress Isabel Rea. Read here and please give me some more infos if you have it about her.

Isabel Rea (1889-?) born in Coxsackie, New York also sometimes credited as Isabel Rae, was an American film actress of the silent era, specifically the decade of the 1910s. In Daniel Blum's A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen she is credited in a photograph as Isabel Rea, member of the original Independent Moving Pictures (IMP) Film Company in 1911, alongside actors such as Mary Pickford. Further in the book she is credited as Isabel Rae in a photograph for Universal Studios. Apart from her work in silent films, very little is known of her and her whereabouts after approximately 1918, and no date is death is recorded on IMDB. While there are several entries for Isabel/Isabella Rea on the Find a Grave website none of these can be definitely identified as those for silent film actress Isabel Rea.

She has appeared in the 1911 short film "Pictureland" as a leading character role named 'Rosita', as her other films including "The Siren" and "Under the Gaslight", which both of it is lost.

oldposterho

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 2:34 pm

Here's the photo of Ms. Rea. That's her in the bottom left next to everybody's favorite degenerate Pickford, Jack, and surrounded by various and sundry Pickfords, including our Mary:

The November 7, 1919 Variety has her appearing on stage in Syracuse, NY as the feminine lead in On the High Seas.

That, and my inner five year old simply must repeat Coxsackie, New York.

FrankFay

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 5:45 pm

I live quite near Coxsackie- it is a quaint but inconsequential place, mostly notable for the nearby Coxsackie Correctional Facility.
Eric Stott

Silencebound

PostThu Aug 18, 2016 3:31 am

Great news to announcing that I've finished cropping all the 14,633 frames this afternoon. It is not quite easy to do although too many wasted hours still infected me at my back while doing this nearly-a-year project of "Pictureland". Oh, yes, I have played-back and saw all the complete cropped film at 14 minutes and 38 seconds, and am going to give a few saying about this 1911 short film classic. Several scenes shows it's film director Thomas Ince in his very-rare cameo role, and Isabel Rae who is portrayed as 'Rosita' looks so bright and younger as she is just about 21-22 years old, which is quite worthwhile all thru the film along with King Baggot, who starred in it as 'Pablo'. Very unusual storytelling plot with bit lack of real in-scene connection thereon but quite entertaining and understanding element that focusing at the 1911 period. The off-screen Beagle dog crept in the critical 'dreaming' scene quite unexpectedly as you might notice at it at lower of the screen somewhere in the middle, but not the other dog, the mastiff breed, walking around naturally in some certain scenes. Well, don't think nor analyse at Mary Pickford as she has never appeared in any survived frames, nor in a single one. Isabel Rae is much better than Mary for the role of 'Rosita', and as well also to King Baggot which has deserved bit clearer merit character as 'Pablo'. Okay, the restoration is the very final post-production which probably will take about less than one month just because only some frames requires restoring effect therefore the searching for next frame is very quicker than cropping status ! :o

martin arias

PostThu Aug 18, 2016 4:47 am

wonderful!!

When are you posting it?

cheers

Martin

Silencebound

PostThu Aug 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Yes, but remember that the International Silent Film Festival which always come first, but however, at currently in this film's UNRESTORED version at present which already uploaded to YouTube last night, so that I am planning to invite very few certain audiences here ( notably to head members of this site ) that I will make personal invitation by PM only. I knew that you badly wants it but I will make another almost-related invitation to the public of Nitrateville as in case that the Restoration and probably-delay release dates for the Festivals might takes a bit long to give all of you a bit bad headaches. But, I will make an another announcement, as in midst of Restoration and Festival premises, at the other topic of this site to get only FIVE public members of Nitratevillers to see the 1911 film classic as a 'special preview audience' on hand-picked lottery. Please wait for the new bulletin announcement. Isn't it wonderful way to finally released Thomas Ince's PICTURELAND at last after being lost for 105 years ! :D

Silencebound

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 6:35 pm

The restoration work on "Pictureland" is nearly finished ! But few more on touch-ups and tweakin' efferts on certain frames are needed. So please be patient. Well, will presumably completed it before at end of this month. Well. anyone who can help to get me a Retro Universal film scanner thru Kickstarter funding ?? It would be more worth to finishing ALL my 35mm nitrate leftovers placed in my office room with it, without waiting long for every next film projects. I am fearing that it will cost about $5000 ( item plus oversea delivery, al et ) but hopefully Kickstarter will do it for me along with you supporting effort possible. How about it ? :?

martin arias

PostSat Sep 10, 2016 1:46 am

Start the Kickstarter, I'll help, and I guess many more would.

Rick Lanham

PostSat Sep 10, 2016 1:52 pm

I would be happy to contribute. Anyone who has watched a video of you scanning a film knows your dedication.
I think a Kickstarter for any equipment you need is a great idea!

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Silencebound

PostSat Sep 10, 2016 6:57 pm

Sound great. Anyone else ? :?

eidoloscope

PostSun Sep 11, 2016 10:28 am

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the final result of your many months of hard work, Silencebound! I do want to reiterate, however, that this is almost certainly not a Thomas Ince film, but more likely a film by Joseph Smiley, IMP's other director in Cuba.

Remember, Ince was specifically identified in the trade press as being in charge of the Mary Pickford company at IMP and, while no original company documents, like logbooks or pay records, survive to verify who did what behind the scenes, the evidence of who is in front of the camera is the best we have to go on. Also, as I think I mentioned in a previous post, we have the recollections of Elinor Ince, Tom's wife and all-around assistant in these early years, to provide support to the identification. In her correspondence with George Pratt of Eastman House, she made a detailed list of the films her husband directed for IMP and PICTURELAND was definitely not one of them. I know, memory can be faulty, especially over fifty years, but it's the only primary evidence we have in this case.

I hope you see that I'm only trying to keep the filmographic record straight. The recovery of PICTURELAND is quite an amazing story, even without crediting it to Thomas Ince!

Silencebound

PostSun Sep 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Okay, yep, I understand, but not until you will see the 100% finished picture of "Pictureland" upon on it's release here after been vanished for 105 years. You will have to point out any faults, etc, before fully confirmed the actual correct information to us here. Please be noted that Thomas Ince have been appeared in this film "Pictureland" in several scene shots as a brief cameo role, wearing the 1910-era black-ribbon-banded white Jarvis Derby hat. Bit hardly to miss Ince but he's there as he is leaving the mansion inside the frontyard at nearly ending of the film as you can see him clearly. See this pix below. At the other hand, probably my only single fault is the new additional music scores which is not from the film's very original piano music score back in 1911 - Very impossible to recover that piano music track with "Pictureland" ! :o

PreviousNext

Return to Silent News