Particular musical score to Murnau's The Last Laugh

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

MatineeattheBijou

Particular musical score to Murnau's The Last Laugh

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Does anyone know if the exact version of Murnau's Die Letzte Mann/The Last Laugh that Janus Films distributed during the early '70s, complete with the soundtrack of that version, is available anywhere?

I saw this film for the first time on PBS's Film Odyssey in 1972. It had a sentimental, rather low-fi orchestral accompaniment that I thought meshed well with it. It sounded thoroughly "of the period", so much so that I've assumed it had been grafted onto the film as soon as possible during the sound era.

The Kino The Last Laugh set, which has a reconstruction of the original score by Giuseppe Becce, isn't musically similar to this soundtrack. So I wonder where the older Janus soundtrack came from.

Any leads anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

telical

Re: Particular musical score to Murnau's The Last Laugh

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 3:34 pm

I once asked a question about a score to a film here and also got an echoing silence.

There is a major classical music forum, and you might try to ask the question there.
It might be that someone is familiar with it, or possible composers of similar styles
who did film music.

Rodney

Re: Particular musical score to Murnau's The Last Laugh

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 8:33 am

telical wrote:I once asked a question about a score to a film here and also got an echoing silence.

There is a major classical music forum, and you might try to ask the question there.
It might be that someone is familiar with it, or possible composers of similar styles
who did film music.

Yep -- a lot of times the answer is "no one seems to know." Sorry... your best bet would be Janus films, I suppose; or seeing if anyone taped it in 1972 and still has the end credits, if any.

I did a quick search online and found that an archive in Pullman Washington might have a tape of the film (or is it an audio cassette of the score?), and perhaps there are end credits for the music.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Return to Music For Silents