Topeka, Kansas: Kansas Silent Film Festival

Announcements of upcoming theatrical silent film exhibitions.
  • Author

silentfilm

Topeka, Kansas: Kansas Silent Film Festival

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 pm

http://www.kssilentfilmfest.org/kssff2013/program.html

Here's the program for next month's Kansas Silent Film Festival. Archivist Paul Gierucki will be presenting the Mack Sennett shorts, and talking during the Cinema Dinner. Except for the dinner, it is all free, with great music by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, organist Marvin Faulwell, pianist Jeff Rapsis and more.

Seventeenth Annual Event
Fri. Feb. 22, 2013, starts at 7:00 p.m.

Overture
Welcome and Intros by Denise Morrison, Film Historian

Focus on Mack Sennett Productions:

Galloping Bungalows
20 min.
(1924)

with Billy Bevan & Sid Smith
—Music by Greg Foreman
Fatty and Mabel Adrift
34 min.
(1916) with Roscoe Arbuckle & Mabel Normand
—Music by The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra

Sparrows
84 min.
(1926) with Mary Pickford
—Music by Marvin Faulwell and Bob Keckeisen

Sat. Feb. 23, 2013, starts at 10 a.m.

Overture

Focus on Pre-History:
His Prehistoric Past
22 min.
(1914) with Charlie Chaplin
—Music by Phil Figgs
Flying Elephants
17 min.
(1928) with Laurel & Hardy
—Music by Jeff Rapsis
Three Ages
63 min.
(1923) with Buster Keaton

Lunch Break (on your own), resuming at 1:30 p.m.

Sat. Feb. 23, 2012, starts at 1:30 p.m.

Overture

Focus on American Westerns:
Broncho Billy's Adventure
10 min.

(1911)
with Broncho Billy Anderson
—Music by Rodney Sauer on piano
Broken Ways
15 min.

(1913)
with Blanche Sweet, Henry B. Walthall & Harry Carey, directed by D.W. Griffith
—Music by Greg Foreman
The Narrow Trail
68 min.

(1917)
with William S. Hart
—Music by Marvin Faulwell

Short Break

The Man With the Punch
19 min.
(1920)

with Hoot Gibson
—Music by Jeff Rapsis

Hands Up!
60 min.
(1926) with Raymond Griffith
—Music by Greg Foreman

Supper Break, Program resuming at 7:30 p.m.

Special Dinner Event, Our Fifth Annual
CINEMA-DINNER, 5:15-7:15 p.m.
Special Guest: Paul Gierucki, who will show clips from his finished project: 100 Years / 100 Films by Mack Sennett (many of which aired on TCM in September 2012)
Served buffet-style • $30/person [non-refundable]
Bradbury Thompson Alumni Ctr., Washburn University, Topeka, KS

Those interested in attending can make reservations by mail:
KSFF Cinema-Dinner
P.O. Box 2032
Topeka, Kansas 66601-2032

Some tickets for the dinner may be available at the KSFF event on Friday or Saturday, but early reservations are encouraged.

— This event is by reservation only. Contact us to reserve —

Sat. Feb. 23, 2013, starts at 7:30 p.m.

Overture
Intros by by Denise Morrison, Film Historian
The Speed Kings
8 min.
(1913) with Ford Sterling & Mabel Normand
Keystone Film Co., directed by Wilfred Lucas
—Music by Jeff Rapsis

Madcap Ambrose
22 min. (1916)

with Mack Swain & Polly Moran
—Music by Marvin Faulwell
The Gaucho
115 min.
(1927) with Douglas Fairbanks and Lupe Velez

There will be an intermission in the Feature Film

larrys66diner

Re: Topeka, Kansas: Kansas Silent Film Festival

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 am

I hope everyone has their calendars marked to come and see us at the festival in just less than two weeks! We are looking to have a great time with a fine turnout!

One thing extra we're doing this year is that KSFF is teaming with non-profit Harvesters.org to feed the hungry. Please consider bringing canned goods to donate. You'll find a box in our lobby for your donations. You can find out more about what Harvesters do at http://www.harvesters.org/.

As Bruce said, Paul Gierucki will be our special guest this year and, as always, we'll have a couple surprises in store for our viewing audience!

The price of the Cinema-Dinner event is $30 this year (doesn't everything go up?) but there are so many costs involved with the caterers etc. Tickets are still available for it at present, but don't miss your chance to get yours, so RSVP to Kansas Silent Film Festival; PO Box 2032; Topeka, KS 66601-2032 soon!

For everything else you need to know related to the Kansas Silent Film Festival, please visit our website at http://www.kssilentfilmfest.org/ and you may also follow us on Twitter @kssilentfilm (http://twitter.com/kssilentfilm) for the most current information.

Look forward to seeing you in Topeka!!! :mrgreen:

NotSoSilent

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Got my dinner tickets in hand and a smile on my face. I can't wait for another great event!

larrys66diner

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 9:20 am

NotSoSilent wrote:Got my dinner tickets in hand and a smile on my face. I can't wait for another great event!

Glad you received them! Hope to be able to meet with you there; if you get a moment, please try to catch up with me. I'll be running and dodging around like Flash, so I'm a little hard to pin down though. :lol: :mrgreen:

larrys66diner

PostSat Feb 16, 2013 9:46 am

We're down to the last few Cinema-Dinner tickets, with only a couple handfuls remaining! :D A big thanks goes out to everyone who has RSVP'd!

Rodney

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 10:10 am

I'm afraid that the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra ran into an impassible wall of blizzard, and after stranded two nights in Hays, was forced to cancel the trip to Topeka! Fortunately, the capable keyboardists of the KSFF have volunteered to fill the breach, so we're resting up after some rather hairy driving (the only casualty being the film presentations and one windshield).

Next year!
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

NotSoSilent

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 11:32 am

Rodney wrote:I'm afraid that the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra ran into an impassible wall of blizzard, and after stranded two nights in Hays, was forced to cancel the trip to Topeka! Fortunately, the capable keyboardists of the KSFF have volunteered to fill the breach, so we're resting up after some rather hairy driving (the only casualty being the film presentations and one windshield).

Although you were certainly missed, Marvin, Greg, Jeff, and Bob did a FANTASTIC job playing the films. Kudos to this talented group of professionals.

It's also important to note Bill Shaffer, president of the KSFF, took a nasty slip on the ice and split his eye right before the start of the second day. Like the pro he is, he returned to the event after being attended to in the ER. Even with a swollen and purple eye socket he was able to moderate the cinema dinner. I think he's my new hero...

Kudos to the entire KSFF group for putting together another first class event!!

larrys66diner

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 11:09 am

Rodney wrote:I'm afraid that the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra ran into an impassible wall of blizzard, and after stranded two nights in Hays, was forced to cancel the trip to Topeka! Fortunately, the capable keyboardists of the KSFF have volunteered to fill the breach, so we're resting up after some rather hairy driving (the only casualty being the film presentations and one windshield).

Next year!

I must add that a couple of the keyboardists had some interesting stories to tell also.

Greg Foreman had issues with his car on his trek across the state of Kansas, and wound up stranded for a brief period of time in Lawrence until the issue was resolved. I believe he stated the issue was regarding his car battery. :shock:

Jeff Rapsis also had flight issues since KCI was closed Thursday, due to the snowstorm of the Midwest. When it opened Friday morning late, his plane was one of the first ones that arrived, but not until after making his journey by way of Washington and Chicago first. :shock:

The worst thing that happened to my wife and I was that our car got stranded at the gas station next door to our Best Western hotel because, with the newly fallen snow having not been bladed away yet, we couldn't get into the parking lot and had to get pushed to the parking lot of the station. My wife and I had to trapse through almost knee-deep snow up the embankment to the hotel. :lol:

It definitely proved to be an interesting year for all of us. :D

Return to Silent Screenings