Hitchcock Silents In San Francisco

Announcements of upcoming theatrical silent film exhibitions.
  • Author

Roscoe

Hitchcock Silents In San Francisco

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 am

There's frustratingly little information, but there are dates, at least.

http://silentfilm.org/special-events/the-hitchcock-9
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

Rodney

Re: Hitchcock Silents In San Francisco

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 10:08 am

I don't know a lot more about it, but the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra will be scoring three of the nine (our scores are to premiere at this event). The others will be accompanied by piano or theater organ, and I'll wait for an official announcement before revealing who the players are -- but expect some SFSFF favorites. The full list of titles can be found at the BFI's site.

These restorations will be DCP rather than 35mm, but that's the wave of the future, and these will be assembled from the best surviving material, as detailed in several articles at the BFI web site. (Here's the first, search the site for "Restoring Hitchcock" for the additional articles). Mont Alto is unlikely to be recording these scores, but we do hope to take live performances to some other cities around the U.S. as well, and we'll be announcing those here as the schedule gets firmed up.
Last edited by Rodney on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

filmnotdigital

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 10:23 am

Fascism and Communism were once seen by otherwise intelligent people as "the wave of the future,It's a pity the
BFI couldn't take the extra effort to make legitimate film prints of the silent Hitchcocks.

Rodney

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 10:49 am

Somehow, I don't think that releasing movies that were restored using digital tools in digital format, rather than making a film copy of the digital restoration and releasing that, arises to the level of World War II atrocities, so maybe dial back the rhetoric a bit? They'll be preserving the original film materials. If someone writes them a big check, I'm sure they'd be pleased to make a print for the places that want to project film.

Remember that the BFI is in a country suffering under an austerity-crazed government. I doubt there's a lot of money for making 35mm prints at this point, and if they want to save their pence to pay the utility bill on their film vault, that's fine with me.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

filmnotdigital

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 11:03 am

Rodney, with all due respect: You're the one who used the phrase, "The wave of the future." If you'd simply said,
the BFI can't afford to make exhibition prints, that would be different, if still not acceptable

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 11:33 am

With all due respect, I don't see how anyone could argue that point as describing reality on the ground, 2013.

Let's keep it convivial here and not blame fellow members for the state of the world.
If you truly love film, I think the healthiest thing to do is not read books on the subject. I prefer the glossy film magazines with their big colour photos and gossip columns, or the National Enquirer. Such vulgarity is healthy and safe. —Werner Herzog

Big Silent Fan

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 11:53 am

Rodney wrote:I don't know a lot more about it, but the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra will be scoring three of the nine (our scores are to premiere at this event).The full list of titles can be found at the BFI's site.

Thanks for the link. This should be fun.

The nine; "Blackmail," "Champagne," "Downhill," "Easy Virtue," "The Farmer's Wife," "The Lodger," "The Manxman," "The Pleasure Garden" and "The Ring" are all favorites and I've been able to watch each several times.

Most recently it was "Champagne" (after I found a suitable score to accompany such a delightful romantic comedy). The music from "It" and "My Best Girl" was nearly a perfect match (even hearing 'The Wedding March' right on cue at the conslusion).

After reading so many negative opinions about "Champagne" it was a real surprise. You cannot watch this without smiling.

Each Hitchcock here is unforgettable and a favorite, even if many were not restored when I saw them.

Rodney

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:With all due respect, I don't see how anyone could argue that point as describing reality on the ground, 2013.

Let's keep it convivial here and not blame fellow members for the state of the world.

And to be fair, I don't know if the BFI didn't make exhibition prints because they couldn't afford it, or because there's little demand for them, or because they think it looks better, or because it will hold up better in case it encounters a bad projectionist, or because they have a dedication to a false prophet. All I know is what is happening. For the record, last summer we played to Wings once as digital projection (in S.F.) and once to a new print (in Denver), and all I can say is that it was an enjoyable show either way.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

Return to Silent Screenings