Mercer was Too Marvellous for Words in 1937

Open, general discussion of music during the era of classic/nitrate movies
  • Author

Phillyrich

Mercer was Too Marvellous for Words in 1937

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 9:29 am

Johnny Mercer's great wordplay song: Too Marvellous for Words" was featured in full lyric in the 1937 movie:
"Ready, Willing and Able." Clip is on on youtube and runs about 7 minutes.

I love it, so I bought the original sheet music from the film, only to find the lyric is abbreviated. Why is this so?

Did publishers create "performance" versions of songs separate from the sheet music sold to the public?

This is also true of the witty "I Want To Be Bad." My sheet has abbreviate lyrics; record from the show with performer Zelma O'Neal singing, has more lyrics.

Christopher Jacobs

Re: Mercer was Too Marvellous for Words in 1937

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 1:32 am

Phillyrich wrote:Johnny Mercer's great wordplay song: Too Marvellous for Words" was featured in full lyric in the 1937 movie:
"Ready, Willing and Able." Clip is on on youtube and runs about 7 minutes.

I love it, so I bought the original sheet music from the film, only to find the lyric is abbreviated. Why is this so?

Did publishers create "performance" versions of songs separate from the sheet music sold to the public?

This is also true of the witty "I Want To Be Bad." My sheet has abbreviate lyrics; record from the show with performer Zelma O'Neal singing, has more lyrics.

I think this must have been a long-standing practice, for whatever reason. I've seen sheet music of "The Oceana Roll" and "On the 5:15" that leave off the last verse (or verses) in the original home sheet music editions from 1911. Original early recordings, on the other hand, often include another verse or two beyond what is in the sheet music.

Return to Music of the Era