Warner Bros Archive Streaming Review

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
  • Author

realist

Warner Bros Archive Streaming Review

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 11:18 pm

OK, Here are my two cents on this new service which will roll out soon.
I've had the beta test version of the service for about two weeks. The service allows you to choose a number of 1920's to 1970's classic films. There are a few few 1950's to 1960's TV shows also.
I'm using a ROKU streaming box to get the content. About half of the films are high definition (HD) which will play through the ROKU player to my HD TV set I would not say the picture quality of the HD is comparable to a Btu-Ray disk, but it is definitely a step above a DVD disk. (Had a great time viewing Bogart's "Black Legion" in HD; a film which I had never saw before)

The Bottom Line:
For those of us who love classics this will be a godsend. You can pick classics you want and play them when you want. Those of us who hate paying for Satellite or cable just so we can get TCM now have an alternative. I still will buy important films to me (just purchased "The Jazz Singer" and "The Quiet Man on Blu-Ray), but there is a lot of content out there, I will say, "I'm glad I saw it once" (example "Baby Face") but I just can't justify buying every classics disk as I move closer to retirement. Some of the TV shows are fun, but it's like the old saying "sometimes you just can't go back."
My two cents...William
Last edited by realist on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

filmnotdigital

Re: Warner Bros Archive Streaming Review

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks for the tip.You mean "Black Legion."? Black Hand is Gene Kelly

Frederica

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 11:05 am

realist wrote:OK, Here are my two cents on this new service which will roll out soon.
I've had the beta test version of the service for about two weeks. The service allows you to choose a number of 1920'2 to 1970's classic films. There are a few few 1950's to 1960's TV shows also.
I'm using a ROKU streaming box to get the content. About half of the films are high definition (HD) which will play through the ROKU player to my HD TV set I would not say the picture quality of the HD is comparable to a Btu-Ray disk, but it is definitely a step above a DVD disk. (Had a great time viewing Bogart's "Black Hand" in HD; a film which I had never saw before)

The Bottom Line:
For those of us who love classics this will be a godsend. You can pick classics you want and play them when you want. Those of us who hate paying for Satellite or cable just so we can get TCM now have an alternative. I still will buy important films to me (just purchased "The Jazz Singer" and "The Quiet Man on Blu-Ray), but there is a lot of content out there, I will say, "I'm glad I saw it once" (example "Baby Face") but I just can't justify buying every classics disk as I move closer to retirement. Some of the TV shows are fun, but it's like the old saying "sometimes you just can't go back."
My two cents...William

Thanks for the review. Do they indicate when the beta will be complete, or any idea of the subscription cost?
Fred
"She jerked away from me like a startled fawn might, if I had a startled fawn and it jerked away from me."
Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister
http://www.nitanaldi.com
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp

realist

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks, I changed my review to Black Legion. As far as when it roll out or cost, they just said soon.
Last edited by realist on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roseha

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 10:35 pm

I've put my name on their mailing list, hope they announce this soon.
- Rosemary

Return to Tech Talk