Looking for some tv-episodes

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
  • Author

Nick

Looking for some tv-episodes

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 am

Hey, l'm looking for 2 specific episodes from 2 different tv-series from 1949.

The first show is called Suspense. l'm looking for an episode called Lunch Box (season 2, episode 1).

The other show is called Studio One. l'm looking for an episode called Two Sharp Knives (season 2, episode 10).

The reason l wanna watch them is to see what Abe Vigoda looked like when he was barely 30 years old. :mrgreen:

Can anyone help me with this?

Spiny Norman

Re: Looking for some tv-episodes

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 am

Nick wrote:Hey, l'm looking for 2 specific episodes from 2 different tv-series from 1949.

The first show is called Suspense. l'm looking for an episode called Lunch Box (season 2, episode 1).

The other show is called Studio One. l'm looking for an episode called Two Sharp Knives (season 2, episode 10).

The reason l wanna watch them is to see what Abe Vigoda looked like when he was barely 30 years old. :mrgreen:

Not with "Suspense" but I found "Studio One: Two sharp knives" within seconds.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Nick

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Nick wrote:Hey, l'm looking for 2 specific episodes from 2 different tv-series from 1949.

Not with "Suspense" but I found "Studio One: Two sharp knives" within seconds.

Yeah, l saw it now, thanks!
l recognized Abe immediately when he appeared on screen!

Spiny Norman

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 2:14 am

Surprisingly a large number of "Suspense" episodes is on the internet for download too, just not the one you were looking for. (I can't say if this is really PD or illegal, though.)

Nick

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 4:44 am

l just checked...Appearently, only 35 % of the episodes still survive today. Lunchbox is most likely a lost episode, which is understandable considering that tv basically started in 1949. Suspense was filmed with kinescope in live broadcast. Videotapes didn't exist back then.

Spiny Norman

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 6:24 am

Nick wrote:l just checked...Appearently, only 35 % of the episodes still survive today. Lunchbox is most likely a lost episode, which is understandable considering that tv basically started in 1949. Suspense was filmed with kinescope in live broadcast. Videotapes didn't exist back then.

That's still quite a lot. Those kinescopes could've gone anywhere, they could also be in private hands. The UCLA for example has 7 or 8 of this series. Wait, the Paley Center in NY has 4 of them too, including "The lunch box". You can watch it there... when you're in New York.

I had a similar thing with a "Pride and prejudice" from a 1949 anthology series (Philco Playhouse)... I wanted to review it... Turned out there IS a kinescope of it, but I'd have to go to Wisconsin to watch it. :(
Actually it was also adapted for "Matinee Theatre" and "General Motors presents", should anyone by chance know of "Pride and prejudice" episode kinescopes, I'd be very grateful for any information.

Nick

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 11:29 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
Nick wrote:l just checked...Appearently, only 35 % of the episodes still survive today. Lunchbox is most likely a lost episode, which is understandable considering that tv basically started in 1949. Suspense was filmed with kinescope in live broadcast. Videotapes didn't exist back then.

That's still quite a lot. Those kinescopes could've gone anywhere, they could also be in private hands. The UCLA for example has 7 or 8 of this series. Wait, the Paley Center in NY has 4 of them too, including "The lunch box". You can watch it there... when you're in New York.

I had a similar thing with a "Pride and prejudice" from a 1949 anthology series (Philco Playhouse)... I wanted to review it... Turned out there IS a kinescope of it, but I'd have to go to Wisconsin to watch it. :(
Actually it was also adapted for "Matinee Theatre" and "General Motors presents", should anyone by chance know of "Pride and prejudice" episode kinescopes, I'd be very grateful for any information.

Well, l doubt l will go to New York in the near future, considering l live in Europe, but l'm pretty pleased with my 1949 Abe Vigoda picture :)

Do you work as a professional reviewer? There's always the 1940 Pride and Prejudice movie if you wanna review it instead.....

Spiny Norman

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 5:24 am

Nick wrote:Do you work as a professional reviewer? There's always the 1940 Pride and Prejudice movie if you wanna review it instead.....
Nah, it's just a hobby, and I am less and less fond of today's television although there are exceptions. The 1940 movie... well, it's tolerable. I wish they'd release the colourized version, that might suit that kind of story better.

Return to Talking About Broadcasting