Wheeler and Woolsey available for pre-order

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Bob Furem

Wheeler and Woolsey available for pre-order

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 9:15 pm

The new Wheeler and Woolsey 9 film set is available for pre-order from Warner Archive for $34.95.

JFK

Dorothy Lee: Life & Films of the Wheeler & Woolsey Girl

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Dorothy Lee: The Life & Films of the Wheeler and Woolsey Girl by Brotherton & Okuda
(Mcfarland & Co) will be published on April 2 and can be pre-ordered now from Amazon.
AMAZON PRE-ORDER DISCOUNT IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE (see below)
moviepas wrote: (2/27/2013) Yes, I ordered this book but it is $39.95 at Amazon.com the same as McFarland but better international postage at Amazon. Maybe it will come down by publication date.
Last edited by JFK on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elalamo

Re: Wheeler and Woolsey available for pre-order

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks very, very much for leading people to the Commentary Track website. Every Amazon purchase you make through the site helps me out a little. Mighty oaks from tiny acorns grow.

Much obliged.

Kelly

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 5:20 pm

OH Man seriously props to this

Jim Roots

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 pm

Bob Furem wrote:The new Wheeler and Woolsey 9 film set is available for pre-order from Warner Archive for $34.95.

Is there a link? Failing that, could you let me know if this set has captioning? Warner Archives has never captioned anything, but in the wake of the settlement of the captioning lawsuit that was filed against Netflix, I am hopeful WA took note and decided to comply with the precedent without waiting for a similar suit to be brought against it.

Jim
(ever optimistic)

didi-5

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 2:08 pm

I have all their movies anyway on DVD-R so I can't see why I would pay for another burned DVD set. If WA sets had subtitles or any kind of extra features it might be worthwhile, but I'm not tempted right now. Unless an uncut Africa reappears but that was Columbia, wasn't it?

Bob Furem

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Bob Furem wrote:The new Wheeler and Woolsey 9 film set is available for pre-order from Warner Archive for $34.95.

Is there a link? Failing that, could you let me know if this set has captioning? Warner Archives has never captioned anything, but in the wake of the settlement of the captioning lawsuit that was filed against Netflix, I am hopeful WA took note and decided to comply with the precedent without waiting for a similar suit to be brought against it.

Jim
(ever optimistic)

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/product/w ... rom=Search" target="_blank

Here is the link, Jim.

Jim Roots

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Big thanks for the link, Bob.

Rats, no captioning. Guess they did not get the memo from Netflix.

And although it says shipment is restricted to the USA, tonnes of their releases are available at Sunrise in Toronto, and I fully expect to find the W&W set there on my next visit.

You can't imagine how torturous it is to see the stuff they have out there, and none of it is captioned. The Philo Vance set. The Torchy Blaine set. The short talkie comedy sets. The Jean Harlow set. Damn, damn, and double damn!

Jim

Marr&Colton

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 am

I've noticed that too of a lack of subtitles with the MOD DVD releases. Apparently the distributors hedge their bets on these old movies and don't spend any more than they have to for their releases. Not sure how expensive subtitles are to add to a DVD release.

Talking about low budget releases---I've noticed most FOX MODs are not new sharp transfers--varying degrees of muddy image, typical of 1980s and early 1990s TV transfers.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Hmmm...very tempting. No Peach O'Reno or Diplomaniacs, but I'm assuming those have come out already. (EDIT: Ah, Peach was in a double feature with Girl Crazy, and Diplo got a disc all its own.)

Of course Warner Archives doesn't ship to Canada, or even send us their email newsletter it seems, but I've been able to order their titles from Movies Unlimited and Oldies.com without any difficulty or increase in cost. Sometimes I get their titles from Deep Discount DVD, but they don't get them in as soon as they're out, it seems.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

azjazzman

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Jim Roots wrote:

Jim
(ever optimistic)

The Netflix settlement only pertained to streaming.

Bob Furem

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 pm

[quote="Marr&Colton"]I've noticed that too of a lack of subtitles with the MOD DVD releases. Apparently the distributors hedge their bets on these old movies and don't spend any more than they have to for their releases. Not sure how expensive subtitles are to add to a DVD release.

I can't speak to the precise expense of adding subtitles, but it is far more expensive to have optional subtitles than subtitles that are burned in.

Jim Roots

PostSat Feb 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Bob Furem wrote:
Marr&Colton wrote:I've noticed that too of a lack of subtitles with the MOD DVD releases. Apparently the distributors hedge their bets on these old movies and don't spend any more than they have to for their releases. Not sure how expensive subtitles are to add to a DVD release.

I can't speak to the precise expense of adding subtitles, but it is far more expensive to have optional subtitles than subtitles that are burned in.

I'm not quite clear what you are referring to, Bob. Subtitles for foreign-language films?

Captioning is not burned in. It is always optional. You can turn them off from the "Languages" menu, or simply use the "CC" button on your remote.

Jim

Jim Roots

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am

azjazzman wrote:The Netflix settlement only pertained to streaming.

That is correct, but see this thread on N'ville: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14300" target="_blank

In case the URL doesn't come through (it didn't on my first try), it's the thread in Talkie News called "Warner Archive Instant Streaming"

Jim

Kevin2

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 10:47 am

Jim Roots wrote:
azjazzman wrote:The Netflix settlement only pertained to streaming.

That is correct, but see this thread on N'ville: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14300" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

In case the URL doesn't come through (it didn't on my first try), it's the thread in Talkie News called "Warner Archive Instant Streaming"

Jim

I've watched a number of films on the beta version of Warner Archive Instant. While some of the films have a Closed Caption button, when trying to activate it, at least on my Mac, nothing happens.

From their FAQ:
Which content on Warner Archive Instant has Closed Captions?
In accordance with FCC implementation timelines, Warner Archive Instant is actively working to expand closed captioning of its online video programming. More information about the FCC’s online closed captioning requirements and timelines, including archival content, can be found here. Warner Archive Instant continues to work with its technology and distribution partners to enable this support as soon as possible.
I have specific questions about closed captions. How do I get help?
For specific inquiries regarding closed captioning on programming delivered via Warner Archive Instant, you may contact customer support by clicking here or you may contact:
Judi Cowell
Director, Digital Media Operations and Customer Support
818-977-5972
3300 W. Olive Ave MS 4054
Burbank, CA 91505

JFK

Wheeler and Crosby- Four 1951 Radio Episodes

moviepas

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 2:41 am

Dorothy lee Book
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $39.95
Price: $26.96 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
Deal Price: You Save: $12.99 (33%)

Yes, I ordered this book but it is $39.95 at Amazon.com the same as McFarland but better international postage at Amazon. Maybe it will come down by publication date.

Bob Furem

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm

moviepas wrote:Dorothy lee Book
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: $26.96 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
Deal Price: You Save: $12.99 (33%)

Yes, I ordered this book but it is $39.95 at Amazon.com the same as McFarland but better international postage at Amazon. Maybe it will come down by publication date.

I have noticed recently that Amazon seems to have shortened the length of time when one can pre-order cheaply. It used to be almost until release date. Now it seems that if you don't pre-order in the first week or so, the price often jumps quickly to something near list price. My advice is to pre-order quickly. You don't have to pay till it ships and you can always cancel if you've ordered too much stuff (and who on this esteemed website would order too much stuff).

revgen

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 10:25 am

I took a quick peek at the W&W discs that came in the mail.

1) These are MOD discs. Not pressed.

2) While WAC officially lists this product as not being remastered, I think many of the movies in this collection went through a recent complete or partial remastering/restoration process. However, some of the films like Hook, Line, and Sinker (1930) appear to be very soft transfers which probably came from old laserdisc masters.. I can understand why WAC wouldn't spend the money remastering a title in the public domain like Hook, Line, and Sinker (1930).

3) The color levels on all the films are a little dark. Which I don't mind too much because it's pretty easy to tweak the brightness and contrast. It's better than releasing them too bright.

Robert Moulton

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 12:31 pm

The set gets a review in this weekend's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/movie ... d=all&_r=0

fwtep

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Bob Furem wrote:I have noticed recently that Amazon seems to have shortened the length of time when one can pre-order cheaply. It used to be almost until release date. Now it seems that if you don't pre-order in the first week or so, the price often jumps quickly to something near list price. My advice is to pre-order quickly. You don't have to pay till it ships and you can always cancel if you've ordered too much stuff (and who on this esteemed website would order too much stuff).

One other thing about pre-ordering on Amazon: you get the item at whatever the lowest price is between when you ordered and when it ships.

JFK

Dorothy Lee: Life/Films of Wheeler & Woolsey Girl:SAVE $11

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:29 pm

moviepas wrote:Dorothy Lee Book.....
Yes, I ordered this book but it is $39.95 at Amazon.com ......
Maybe it will come down by publication date.

BOOK PRICE ON 4/15/2013 FROM AMAZON
Dorothy Lee: The Life and Films of the Wheeler and Woolsey Girl [Paperback]
Deal Price: $28.76
You Save: $11.19 (28%)

The book can be ordered now from Amazon.
And, if you first go to http://www.thecommentarytrack.com/ ,
and then click from there on to the Amazon site...
According to the Commentary Track site:
"You can help support The Commentary Track in different ways.
First, if you click through to Amazon through this site, we will receive a small percentage of your purchase --
and it won't cost you an extra cent.
There's a banner below {at http://www.thecommentarytrack.com/}

entredeuxguerres

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Though I've always watched W&W principally for opportunities to ogle sparkling Dorothy Lee, it's still a bit surprizing that a publisher has believed interest in her great enough to sell this book; but I'm delighted to discover there is, evidently, & hope it's a sell-out.

Ray Faiola

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 5:56 am

Robert Moulton wrote:The set gets a review in this weekend's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/movie ... d=all&_r=0" target="_blank

Dave Kehr is a big fan of William A. Seiter. I'll take Eddie Cline any day.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Return to Talkie News