Pre Orders available now for Charley Chase Columbia DVD

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Stan16mm

Pre Orders available now for Charley Chase Columbia DVD

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 12:15 pm

On the off chance that the price goes up before it's released, you might want to order your DVD now through Amazon on the pre order price guarantee. Sony also gets a report of how many pre orders have sold. The more pre sold, the better it looks for a second volume. Of course it's the overall sales but they are going to be looking at the advance orders as this is an MOD venture and they have to press them ahead of time in order to meet the demand.

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Chase-Sho ... s+volume+1

falsealarms

Re: Pre Orders available now for Charley Chase Columbia DVD

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 pm

For now, pre-order jumped about 4 bucks to 18.86. While not as good as earlier, still a great price considering the rarity of the material. These pre-order prices can jump around randomly.

elliottdexter

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 12:19 am

they burned me on the stooges individual releases. pissed me off. will wait for the set.

Stan16mm

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 4:37 pm

[i]in response to elliottdexter's comment: they burned me on the stooges individual releases. pissed me off.[i] will wait for the set.[/i][/i]

The Chase shorts are not coming out as a set so you will be waiting endlessly. Sony doesn't have composite prints made up for the rest of the Chase shorts. The reason these were made up were for my Cinecon requests for screening, from older release prints shown in theaters and a USC event on vaudeville in films.

They won't make the remaining shorts up if there is no need to. This is the only set from 35mm archival materials that's being offered and the Chase fans who want them should act now while they are available. Considering that to find any of the 16 shorts that were made up in 16mm can cost upwards of 200 dollars each, twenty bucks for this set shouldn't be a problem to a fan of these films. I'm keeping my prints but five of these shorts didn't play television at all so on that basis alone, this is an incredible opportunity.

Richard Finegan

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 5:27 pm

Already pre-ordered (a couple weeks ago) - CAN'T WAIT !!!

Thanks again, SONY/Columbia for these!

falsealarms

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 11:40 pm

The wait for this set is agonizing, but January 1st will be here soon enough.

The only one here that I've seen is THE HECKLER, but the copy I saw was so poor, it will be like seeing it for the first time again. Between being Columbia two-reelers and Chase's ties to the Stooges, interest in this set is sky high. Based on what I've seen from the Stooges, Keaton, and Clyde, the period on this set (1937-1940) was a pretty good one for the Columbia shorts department. Then again, I haven't come across too many Columbia two-reelers I haven't liked.

Also curious to see who else is in THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP, which seems to be one of the rarer ones. IMDB only has Chase in the film.

A reviewer at Amazon listed the contents of this set, in case anyone missed it earlier:

Man Bites Lovebug (1937) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Mary Russell, Bud Jamison, Frank Lackteen, John T. Murray and Etta McDaniel.

The Mind Needer (1938) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Ann Doran, Bess Flowers, Vernon Dent and John T. Murray.

The Chump Takes a Bump (1939) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase.

Rattling Romeo (1939) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Ann Doran, John Tyrrell, Ben Taggart, Richard Fiske, Harry Bernard, Brian O'Hara, Bud Jamison, Eva McKenzie, Chuck Callahan, Cy Schindell and Stanley Brown.

Skinny the Moocher (1939) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Ann Doran, John T. Murray, Richard Fiske, Ben Taggart, Stanley Brown, John Tyrrell, James Craig, Cy Schindell, Joan Davis and Lorna Gray.

The Awful Goof (1939) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Dorothy Comingore, Lucille Lund, Dick Curtis, Bud Jamison, Don Beddoe, Beatrice Blinn, Stanley Brown, John Butler, Kernan Cripps, Richard Fiske, Lorna Gray, Chuck Hamilton, Eddie Laughton, Cy Schindell and Robert Sterling.

The Heckler (1940) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Bruce Bennett, Richard Fiske, Stanley Brown, Don Beddoe, Vernon Dent, Monte Collins, John Ince, Tom Hanlon, Dorothy Appleby, Bess Flowers, Bud Jamison, Beatrice Blinn, Heinie Conklin, Robert Sterling, Jack Mulhall and Casey Colombo.

South of the Boudoir (1940) Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Helen Lynd, Ann Doran, Arthur Q. Bryan, Stanley Brown and Bud Jamison.

A Nag in the Bag (1938) - Directed by Charley Chase - Cast: Joe Smith & Charles Dale, Gloria Blondell, Polly Chase, Chester Conklin, Dick Curtis, Bud Jamison, Stella LeSaint and Dorothy Vernon.

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Chase-Shorts-Vol-1/dp/B00AIA89ZA/

Richard M Roberts

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 12:34 am

Also curious to see who else is in THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP, which seems to be one of the rarer ones. IMDB only has Chase in the film.

Ann Doran, Ruth Skinner, and Dell Henderson also appear in it.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard Finegan

The Chump Takes a Bump

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 3:14 am

falsealarms wrote:

Also, Bud Jamison, Richard Fiske, Stanley Brown.

Richard Finegan

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 3:57 am

falsealarms wrote:A reviewer at Amazon listed the contents of this set, in case anyone missed it earlier:

Man Bites Lovebug (1937) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Mary Russell, Bud Jamison, Frank Lackteen, John T. Murray and Etta McDaniel.

The Mind Needer (1938) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Ann Doran, Bess Flowers, Vernon Dent and John T. Murray.

The Chump Takes a Bump (1939) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase.

Rattling Romeo (1939) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Ann Doran, John Tyrrell, Ben Taggart, Richard Fiske, Harry Bernard, Brian O'Hara, Bud Jamison, Eva McKenzie, Chuck Callahan, Cy Schindell and Stanley Brown.

Skinny the Moocher (1939) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Ann Doran, John T. Murray, Richard Fiske, Ben Taggart, Stanley Brown, John Tyrrell, James Craig, Cy Schindell, Joan Davis and Lorna Gray.

The Awful Goof (1939) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Dorothy Comingore, Lucille Lund, Dick Curtis, Bud Jamison, Don Beddoe, Beatrice Blinn, Stanley Brown, John Butler, Kernan Cripps, Richard Fiske, Lorna Gray, Chuck Hamilton, Eddie Laughton, Cy Schindell and Robert Sterling.

The Heckler (1940) - Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Bruce Bennett, Richard Fiske, Stanley Brown, Don Beddoe, Vernon Dent, Monte Collins, John Ince, Tom Hanlon, Dorothy Appleby, Bess Flowers, Bud Jamison, Beatrice Blinn, Heinie Conklin, Robert Sterling, Jack Mulhall and Casey Colombo.

South of the Boudoir (1940) Directed by Del Lord - Cast: Charley Chase, Helen Lynd, Ann Doran, Arthur Q. Bryan, Stanley Brown and Bud Jamison.

A Nag in the Bag (1938) - Directed by Charley Chase - Cast: Joe Smith & Charles Dale, Gloria Blondell, Polly Chase, Chester Conklin, Dick Curtis, Bud Jamison, Stella LeSaint and Dorothy Vernon.

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Chase-Shorts-Vol-1/dp/B00AIA89ZA/

Add to the above cast lists:
The Mind Needer - Beatrice Curtis.
The Awful Goof - Al Thompson.
The Heckler - Al Thompson.
A Nag in the Bag - Beatrice Blinn.

Jim Harwood

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 11:28 pm

I spoke to a gent at Sony who is one of the people working on the Columbia Chase shorts and he says that the second DVD volume should be out sometime in third or fourth quarter 2013, providing volume one sells well. The 35mm preservation work has been completed on many of the titles and the remaining ones should be finished soon.

So make sure to buy yours now. Maybe two or three!

jhdk

PostTue Dec 25, 2012 11:16 am

Looks like Amazon corrected the misspelling of the name Charley on the product listing for this set.
Last edited by jhdk on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falsealarms

PostTue Dec 25, 2012 2:07 pm

One week until release.

Does anyone here have any favorites among the shorts on here or a short they're especially itching to see for the first time?

Richard Finegan

The Chump Takes a Bump

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 3:45 am

falsealarms wrote:Curious to see who else is in THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP, which seems to be one of the rarer ones. IMDB only has Chase in the film.

THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP includes more music than we're used to in the average Columbia short - almost 5 minutes of music. Much of the story is set in a night club where we hear three different tunes:
"Rockin' the Town" (Ted Koehler & Johnny Green) is played twice.
"Boss Mischa" (Ben Oakland) is heard once, as is "Margie's Gone" (also by Ben Oakland).

"Rockin' the Town" should be familiar to most viewers, from the many other Columbia films in which it has been used, including:
START CHEERING (3-3-38) (Introduced in this feature).
I AM THE LAW (9-2-38)
YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (9-28-38)
GIRLS' SCHOOL (9-30-38)
THERE'S THAT WOMAN AGAIN (trailer only) (12-24-38)
THE SAP TAKES A WRAP (3-10-39) (short)
SCREEN SNAPSHOTS Series 18, Number 8 (4-8-39) (short)
PARENTS ON TRIAL (6-29-39)
THE AMAZING MR. WILLIAMS (11-23-39)
CAFE HOSTESS (11-30-39)
ANDY CLYDE GETS SPRING CHICKEN (12-15-39) (short)
GIRLS OF THE ROAD (6-20-40)
LOCO BOY MAKES GOOD (1-8-42) (short)
NIGHT EDITOR (4-18-46)
CIGARETTE GIRL (2-13-47)
SWEET GENEVIEVE (10-23-47)
THE DEVIL'S HENCHMAN (9-15-49)
NO SAD SONGS FOR ME (4-12-50)
THE WEREWOLF (6-12-56)

"Margie's Gone" can also be heard in these Columbia films:
THERE'S THAT WOMAN AGAIN (12-24-38)
BLONDIE MEETS THE BOSS (3-8-39)
MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN (Serial) - Chapter 4 (5-6-39)
MISSING DAUGHTERS (5-22-39)
CAFE HOSTESS (11-30-39)
BLONDIE ON A BUDGET (2-29-40)
TWO IN A TAXI (7-10-41)
CANAL ZONE (3-19-42)
PARACHUTE NURSE (6-18-42)
A MAN'S WORLD (9-17-42)

"Boss Mischa" was one of several tunes the staff composers at Columbia wrote as sort of in-jokes, naming co-workers or bosses, including "Ming Toy Mischa" and "Stompin' Stoloff" (both by Jack McTaggart & Ben Oakland, and named for Mischa Bakaleinikoff and Morris Stoloff).

And, to complete the musical program in THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP the main and end titles music "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" was arranged by Leigh Harline and Ben Oakland.

Richard Finegan

Charley Chase Columbia DVD

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 3:54 am

falsealarms wrote:
Does anyone here have any favorites among the shorts on here or a short they're especially itching to see for the first time?

I like them all (all I've seen, that is).
Favorites among this set are:
RATTLING ROMEO
THE AWFUL GOOF
THE HECKLER
SOUTH OF THE BOUDOIR

The ones I'm itching to see for the first time would have to be the two I've still never seen yet:
THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP
and
A NAG IN THE BAG

falsealarms

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am

Supposed to be out tomorrow (or Weds - holiday) but now Amazon's page currently says...

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Something going on with this set?

falsealarms

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Amazon back to normal now... hope this ships w/o issue right after the holiday.

boblipton

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 pm

I just got an email from Amazon.com. It reads:

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on December 07, 2012 (Order# 109-5695891-6978648):

Charley Chase "Charley Chase Shorts, Vol. 1"
Estimated arrival date: January 07, 2013 - January 09, 2013

Bob
“Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.” — James Thurber

falsealarms

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 11:42 pm

I got one of those too, looks like it may come Friday for me.

I hope so... that was quite the scare earlier when they weren't taking orders.

Richard Finegan

PostTue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 am

Here's the DVD cover:
Attachments
Chase, Charley - Columbia shorts DVD (1-1-13).jpg
Chase, Charley - Columbia shorts DVD (1-1-13).jpg (242.6 KiB) Viewed 2051 times

Michael O'Regan

PostTue Jan 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Only slightly off-topic.
Have the following ever had a DVD release?

CALLING ALL DOCTORS
THE NICKEL NURSER
THE NEIGHBOURHOOD HOUSE
ON THE WRONG TREK

Thanks, in anticipation :D

boblipton

PostTue Jan 01, 2013 12:53 pm

ON THE WRONG TREK was included in THE LOST LAUREL & HARDY dvd set because of its cameo by the Boys.

Bob

jhdk

PostTue Jan 01, 2013 1:11 pm

Not only on the "Lost Films" set, but also pretty much every other major L&H DVD set, including the recent RHI set and the UK set. Personally, I found the UK set to have a superior print of the short, while RHI used a faded Film Classics print.

Joe Migliore

PostTue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm

boblipton wrote:
ON THE WRONG TREK was included in THE LOST LAUREL & HARDY dvd set because of its cameo by the Boys.

I still have the HAL ROACH COMEDY CLASSICS VHS tape from Nostalgia Merchant, with shorts from Chase (ON THE WRONG TREK), Langdon (THE HEAD GUY), The Boy Friends (HIGH GEAR), and, of course, Laurel & Hardy (HOOSEGOW). The cassette still holds up...it must be made of iron.

Richard Finegan

Nostalgia Merchant videos

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 3:13 am

Joe Migliore wrote:boblipton wrote:

I still have the HAL ROACH COMEDY CLASSICS VHS tape from Nostalgia Merchant, with shorts from Chase (ON THE WRONG TREK), Langdon (THE HEAD GUY), The Boy Friends (HIGH GEAR), and, of course, Laurel & Hardy (HOOSEGOW). The cassette still holds up...it must be made of iron.

Me too! And it still looks and sound fine!
That was a fun one, and I thought I heard at the time that it was supposed to be the first of a series of Roach "All-Stars" and other non- L & H shorts. But it was the only one.

Most of my old Nostalgia Merchant Laurel & Hardy videos are still holding up well (although there were some that had poor sound right from the start when I first bought them).

Rob Farr

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 7:28 am

VHS tapes have proven to be more robust than anyone gave them credit for when they were the predominant medium. Moreso than DVD-R's. I have tapes from '83 that play fine. Something to consider before you trash those bulky VHS tapes because you transferred them to Office Depot DVD-R's.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx
www.slapsticon.org

azjazzman

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Rob Farr wrote:VHS tapes have proven to be more robust than anyone gave them credit for when they were the predominant medium. Moreso than DVD-R's. I have tapes from '83 that play fine. Something to consider before you trash those bulky VHS tapes because you transferred them to Office Depot DVD-R's.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Aged videotapes tend to mis-track and develop snow and other playback issues; while my experience with DVD-Rs (going back 12 years now) is 99% positive. And one can always copy a DVD-R and retain 100% of the original, while each time you copy a videotape you get significant degradation.

I have tapes from the 1980's that play fine, too. I also have many tapes from the 1990's that won't track. But even the ones that do look terrible compared to DVD quality,

boblipton

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Just notified by Amazon.com that the order has shipped.

Bob

falsealarms

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 pm

As orders begin to trickle in, by all means post impressions, etc.... hoping to see mine arrive tomorrow.

Jim Harwood

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Got the disc in today and quickly scanned through a few of the shorts here at work. They all look to be of very nice quality, like watching 35mm. Can't wait to get home tonight to watch them properly.

Richard M Roberts

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 6:36 pm

George Ovey is also in THE CHUMP TAKES A BUMP.

And listen for the voice of Charley Chase as the Radio Racetrack Announcer on the car radio Smith and Dale chase down the street in A NAG IN THE BAG. (Polly Chase, one of Charley's daughters, is the main carhop,Joan Blondell's sister Gloria plays one of the Drive-In Carhops as well, though you barely see her, and Billy Engle is the male half of the Couple in the Car from the "Old Neighborhood").

RICHARD M ROBERTS
Next

Return to Talkie News