New Book about Warner Brothers Studio

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
brendangcarroll

New Book about Warner Brothers Studio

Unread post by brendangcarroll » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/030019 ... 631&sr=8-1" target="_blank

Looks like it will be a good 'un!
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Ray Faiola

Re: New Book about Warner Brothers Studio

Unread post by Ray Faiola » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 am

For those interested in a very entertaining book about Warners by someone who was there, try and get a copy of Those Crazy Wonderful Years When We Ran Warner Bros. by Stuart Jerome (son of M. K. Jerome). It's a total riot and filled with great stories.

https://www.amazon.com/Those-Crazy-Wond ... 0818403438" target="_blank
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Marr&Colton

Unread post by Marr&Colton » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Ray,

Just got the book by Stuart Jerome from the library.....some interesting anecdotes, but WAY TOO MUCH sex and
nasty language and stuff I would not have wanted to know about.

Best part---when John Barrymore did a screen test for the lead in MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

busby1959

Unread post by busby1959 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Marr&Colton wrote:Ray,

Just got the book by Stuart Jerome from the library.....some interesting anecdotes, but WAY TOO MUCH sex and
nasty language and stuff I would not have wanted to know about.

Best part---when John Barrymore did a screen test for the lead in MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

Warner Bros. studio has a special place in my heart and I've been wanting to read both of these books, but the sex and nasty language would deter me as well. I'll try to skip those bits if I recognize something unpleasant is coming up.

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:14 pm

I have this book,it is a great read.Don't be deterred by the earlier post.It is one of the few books that I haven't put back on Amazon after reading.

Marr&Colton

Unread post by Marr&Colton » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:28 pm

The view of Warner Studio in Mr. Jerome's book could easily have been my experience working in a major manufacturing factory for many years. No matter what industry you work in, the people will exhibit the best and worst of human nature.

We all know many famous Hollywood stars and many of those behind the cameras were just as corrupt as people today.
But I try to dwell on the good and not wallow in the bad---I made plenty of mistakes in the last 60 years and find no
entertainment reading about others' mistakes. After all those years I try to live to a higher standard--it really makes for a much happier life than the wild and crazy lifestyles of my past.

There have been many Hollywood history books I've had to skip through because I heard all the gutter language
in the military and working world all my life and tired of being around it--in print too....it doesn't add to the
facts and anecdotes that would be much more memorable without it.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:29 pm

I would be interested in a history of the WB studio from its inception through the 1950's/60's. In looking at both books on Amazon, the two books mentioned above have gotten very mixed reviews. Is there a book considered the definitive history of the studio by chance?

Thanks,
Matthew