Our Next Amazing 3-D Restoration!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Bob Furmanek

Our Next Amazing 3-D Restoration!

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 am

It is one of the most highly-requested Golden Age 3-D titles. You will be amazed with our next 3-D restoration.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-maze

William Cameron Menzies' THE MAZE is coming soon to 3-D Blu-ray from our good friends at Kino Lorber Studio Classics!

realist

Re: Our Next Amazing 3-D Restoration!

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Awesome News! I see you are going to give the release a restored 3 channel stereo track (which was also a great treat on "Those Redheads from Seattle"). Thanks Bob and Crew for all the great work you are doing in restoring these classic films!

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 10:15 am

Thank you very much, Realist.

Whenever possible, we will restore the lost three-channel stereophonic tracks. Most of the 3-D titles do not survive.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first- ... onic-sound

maliejandra

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 6:35 am

It looks fun! If they roadshow it the way they did the 3D Rarities films, I'll check it out. Unfortunately, I don't have a home 3D set up.

ClayKing

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 1:34 pm

A film I first heard about many years ago but have never seen. I'm looking forward to the 3D blu-ray. The 3D archives' previous restorations have been stunning.
-Rich

SilentsPlease

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:39 am

Bob, take my money please! Let's hope Kino stays on board till the end. I've heard you say that in some of your past projects, the studio/publisher pulled the plug on you at the 11th hour for whatever reasons, even after they had greenlit your disc.

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 11:21 am

That tragic situation was with Olive Films and a 3-D Blu-ray of MONEY FROM HOME. After I was given the go ahead by the owner and got my restoration team together (Jerry Lewis, UCLA Film Archive, Packard Humanities Institute and Fotokem) Olive pulled the plug at the 11th hour and didn't want to spend $7K in order to create a 3-D master.

Panamint did the same with a 3-D Blu-ray of THE GLASS WEB. Again, we had all the ducks in a row at NBCUniversal and were ready to make it happen.

You don't have to worry about Richard Lorber and his superb staff at Kino Lorber Studio Classics. Frank Tarzi, Bret Wood and everyone with that outstanding company have respect for the filmmakers intent and release films as they were intended to be seen.

You won't be getting any 3-D titles released flat by Kino!

dalefullerfan2014

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 11:12 am

Any chance David Packard at The Stanford or the folks at The Rafael Theater in San Rafael might be screening any of these?
Thanks,
Randy
PS,
Or maybe even the Castro or the PFA in Berkeley?

dalefullerfan2014

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 12:14 pm

I just remembered that the Stanford only screens film. If these recent restorations are digital the theater can't show them.
Randy

samsmith150

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 2:57 am

dalefullerfan2014 wrote:I just remembered that the Stanford only screens film. If these recent restorations are digital the theater can't show them.
Randy

@dalefullerfan2014 I think you are right sir.
Get best assignment help in australia.

Bob Furmanek

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

Restoration work is going very well on THE MAZE; scanned in 4K from the original 35mm left/right camera negatives. Our first collaboration with Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation and the Paramount Archive will present the Shocking Chills in 3-D and stereophonic sound for the first time anywhere since 1953!

Bob Furmanek

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 11:27 am

The release date for the 3-D Blu-ray is now April 24, 2018.

SilentsPlease

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Bob Furmanek wrote:The release date for the 3-D Blu-ray is now April 24, 2018.

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 11:42 am

For technical reasons which are explained at the bottom of this page on our website - http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths" - all 3-D features of the 1950's required an Intermission break. Usually, the card would be silent but two studios actually had music written to accompany them: Warner Bros. and Allied Artists.

The Intermission card for THE MAZE, with Marlin Skiles music cue, has not been part of the film since the original 3-D theatrical release in 1953. We are proud to announce that it has been restored for the upcoming 3-D Blu-ray release from Kino Lorber!

The film was rushed through post-production and editor John Fuller mistakenly flipped the left/right images for the Intermission on the camera negative. Audiences in 1953 saw the title in reverse 3-D but restoration expert Greg Kintz has now corrected that error and for the first time, you will see it properly on the 3-D Blu-ray.

THE MAZE is our inaugural collaboration with Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation and the Paramount Archive. This outstanding 3-D restoration would not have been possible without the vision and support of Richard Lorber and his excellent staff at Kino Lorber Studio Classics.

Up next on the 3-D Film Archive/Kino Lorber 3-D restoration slate is SANGAREE. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/sangaree"

For more information on THE MAZE, please visit http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-maze"

Robert W

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 11:42 am

Hi Bob :

Hillary's article on Sangaree on the 3D Archive website says Sangaree was composed for 1:33 but released and projected in 1:66. Which aspect ratio will you be using for the blu-ray ?

Bob Furmanek

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 5:26 pm

We always honor the AR that a film was composed for by the creative team during principal photography.

For SANGAREE, that's 1.37:1.

Bob Furmanek

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 9:53 am

THE MAZE was brought back to stereoscopic life and these important individuals made it happen:

Jerry Lewis introduced me to Martin Scorsese on October 6, 2015. That meeting at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York cut through miles of red tape and started the ball rolling immediately on this project.

Martin Scorsese and Margaret Bodde at the Film Foundation insured that we had 4K scans of the left/right 35mm camera negatives and provided much-needed funding in order to make that happen.

Laura Thornburg and Andrea Kalas at the Paramount Archive provided access to the camera original 35mm elements. The 4K scans were done at PRO-TEK in Burbank, CA.

Richard Lorber and Frank Tarzi at Kino Lorber Studio Classics secured the license.

Greg Kintz did the painstaking 3-D image restoration plus scene-to-scene grading of the raw scans.

Thad Komorowski did the meticulous dirt and damage clean-up.

Eckhard Büttner recreated the lost stereophonic sound from mono optical elements.

Jack Theakston helped with research and QC on the work-in-progress.

The entire 3-D Film Archive team is VERY proud of this restoration and hope that you enjoy it!

For more information, please read this terrific article by Ted Okuda: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-maze

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Bob Furmanek

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Posted by Josh Steinberg at the Home Theater Forum: "For this new restoration, Bob and his team were given access to brand new 4K scans from the original camera negatives.

What I saw looked absolutely stunning. The image looked, for lack of a better word, perfect. The clarity of the image was amazing, showcasing amazing depth and separation in the clips that I viewed. There wasn't even the slightest hint of dirt, debris or damage in the footage I was shown.

I'm always excited whenever a new 3D Film Archive restoration is announced, but now that I've seen a peak of this one, I'm doubly excited.

For anyone who's seen the film before and has been patiently waiting for this restoration: trust me, it's worth the wait. And for any 3D fans who are thinking about making a blind buy for this title: after seeing a few minutes of it, I'm completely sold."

Bob Furmanek

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Here's another cross-eyed and parallel-view sneak peak at our restoration of William Cameron Menzies' 3-D masterpiece, THE MAZE.

SilentsPlease

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 3:43 pm

petelush

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 8:15 pm

I went for a super TV in March 2017 and fortunately it has 3D. Apparently 3D will not be a feature of TVs from now on. I'm amazed at how much I've enjoyed some 3D films, although obviously it doesn't make a bad film worth seeing, nor does it always add much to a decent film.
My history with 3D movies goes back to seeing Bwana Devil (1952) in first release in one of my neighbs when I was about 11. I recall walking into the auditorium with those awful polarized specs on and being disappointed that the image was so dim. I don't remember a reaction to the 3D effect itself. Previously I had seen my cousin's viewmaster around the age or 8 or 9. Watching The Walk (2015) on my 75" 3D TV left me breathless and anxious. Had to take several breaks to calm my heart down.

Bob Furmanek

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks for sharing that wonderful memory. It's always a delight hearing from those with firsthand experience to that brief window in 1953 - 65 years ago!

Did you see other 3-D films on their first release and where did you grow-up?

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 11:33 am

Now that our 3-D restoration of THE MAZE is about the arrive in your hands, we remind you what was written in the original ad campaign: "Please do not reveal the amazing climax to your friends!"

Here are some reactions to our world premiere screening this week at the Museum of Modern Art in New York:

"The main thing is that the movie looked stupendous. Pristine. Gorgeous. The image was sparkling clear, even to a guy who'd forgotten his regular glasses to wear under the 3D glasses, and the dimensional effect was striking throughout. Usually, when I watch a 3D film, I tend to forget about ten minutes in that it even IS 3D. This time, though, thanks to the restoration team and Mr. Menzies, there was no forgetting. It was quite something to see."

"I happen to one of the relative few (?) who had never seen The Maze at all, so this was a huge double treat. Though I have no knowledge of what the movie has looked like over the years, I don't hesitate to say that everyone who has been looking forward to this release is going to be absolutely thrilled with the Blu-ray. The image and sound are, quite simply, spectacular, and the audience reactions bore that out, throughout the film and after it ended."

"Caught last night's showing of The Maze with Bob and Greg (whom I had yet to meet -- a great guy). These guys are working their a$$e$ off to keep the classic-3D pump primed. Their restoration is superb."

Rick Lanham

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 am

A review of The Maze 3-D on DVD Talk, by Jesse Skeen:

https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/72956/maze-3-d-the/" target="_blank

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Bob Furmanek

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 8:00 am

Our critically-acclaimed restoration of William Cameron Menzies stereoscopic masterpiece THE MAZE is shipping this week. We remind you: "Please do not reveal the amazing climax to your friends!"

In fact, please don't tell strangers either. Let them discover the terrifying secret for themselves!

Return to Talkie News