Charley Chase: The Hal Roach Talkies Volume One 1930-31

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

JLNeibaur

Re: Charley Chase: The Hal Roach Talkies Volume One 1930-31

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 10:55 pm

I updated my August article, now indicating that the set is available, providing the amazon link, info about the set's contents, etc.

http://jln4151.wixsite.com/jlneibaur-wr ... ORTHCOMING

maliejandra

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 7:14 am

Amazon has it priced at $24.93 right now-- a bargain!

JLNeibaur

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 pm

All of these remastered shorts from best available pre-print materials for less than 25 bucks on its opening release -- that's an incredible deal indeed. The more this first volume sells, the better chance that future volumes will be released.

bigshot

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 4:55 pm

That's the same price it was listed at before if I'm not mistaken

maliejandra

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 pm

I ordered mine tonight. I can’t wait to see these shorts!

FilmGauge

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 pm

I placed my order...can't wait!!

falsealarms

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:23 am

What are everyone's favorite shorts on this set?

I've only see a few of these - The Pip From Pittsburg, Whispering Whoopee, and Looser than Loose. All three were fun, especially The Pip From Pittsburg, which I've only seen in a shoddy print.
Last edited by falsealarms on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s.w.a.c.

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Just out of curiosity, is Sprocket Vault a new incarnation of VCI Home Entertainment? Their product seems to be the same (although the new Charley Chase release is not on the VCI site, which is the first I've noticed), but Sprocket Vault directs you to Amazon.com to make purchases, instead of through the website itself.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Metaldams

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:01 pm

I've only seen "All Teed Up" and "Whispering Whooppee," the latter which definitely has a pre code feel. Just got the email mine shipped out and it should arrive by Thursday. Really looking forward to this, will post my opinions on shorts and I hope others will too.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... khWDJnWdqx" target="_blank

Click above to see why I'm the loudest silent film fan in the world. \m/

Paul Penna

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:33 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Just out of curiosity, is Sprocket Vault a new incarnation of VCI Home Entertainment? Their product seems to be the same (although the new Charley Chase release is not on the VCI site, which is the first I've noticed), but Sprocket Vault directs you to Amazon.com to make purchases, instead of through the website itself.

Sprocket Vault is part of Kit Parker Films, who previously had been releasing through VCI.

jcp7701

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 10:31 am

Call this a dumb question, but as someone who has several DVD's of Chase's silent work and has yet to watch much of it, is familiarity with that recommended before viewing his sound films? Will definitely purchase this, but will I be missing something if I haven't seen his earlier work?

boblipton

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 am

jcp7701 wrote:Call this a dumb question, but as someone who has several DVD's of Chase's silent work and has yet to watch much of it, is familiarity with that recommended before viewing his sound films? Will definitely purchase this, but will I be missing something if I haven't seen his earlier work?

One of the pleasures in looking at Chase over the years is watching how he reuses the same situations every seven or eight years, with entirely different gags. However, if you look at how he handles a situation in a 1940 Columbia, it’s as much fun going back to a 1932 Roach and then a 1926 silent. I think 1926 is the peak year for silent Chase, but 1931 is equally fine for sound shorts, and there are fine individual works all the way through his last season with Columbia.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 am

No, he's a pretty accessible character and his films are largely "realistic" situation comedies, so there's not a big difference between his Roach-era silent and sound work, or his Columbia work (which tends to be broader but still pretty similar).

Here's what would probably be ranked as his best silent, or close to, Mighty Like a Moose. The comedy premise is outlandish but at the same time, basically sticks to the known physical rules of the universe and is rooted in character rather than gags for gag's sake:

“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

boblipton

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 am

Mike Gebert wrote:No, he's a pretty accessible character and his films are largely "realistic" situation comedies, so there's not a big difference between his Roach-era silent and sound work, or his Columbia work (which tends to be broader but still pretty similar).

Here's what would probably be ranked as his best silent, or close to, Mighty Like a Moose. The comedy premise is outlandish but at the same time, basically sticks to the known physical rules of the universe and is rooted in character rather than gags for gag's sake:

A plot idea he would revisit 13 years later in The Chump Takes a Bump.

It should be added that there are some gags he can play in the silents that involve undercranking that he doesn’t do in the sound Roach shorts — but will in the Columbias.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

cuzzoni

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Mine hasn't shipped yet and Amazon now says in stock on January 28. Drat! :cry:

maliejandra

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 6:53 am

Several of my friends got theirs yesterday and had great things to say about it. Mine got delayed because I ordered something else with it to bump it up to free shipping and that won't ship until tomorrow.

Jim Harwood

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Mine was originally supposed to be delivered today and now Amazon is saying Monday.

I ordered the day when the disc went live on Amazon a week or two back, so I guess they must have gotten too many orders and didn't have enough discs.

Kerr Lockhart

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 am

Apropos MIGHTY LIKE A MOOSE, I appropriated the central conceit of that movie and wrote a feature length screenplay about a guy who marries a girl so she can get a green card and falls in love with her, so to sublimate that, under another identity, he begins an affair with a woman who is his wife in disguise. (Yes, I know it's also Garbo's TWO FACED WOMAN, but Charlie is funnier than Garbo).

Metaldams

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 6:04 pm

I got mine this past Thursday and love it. Have watched all but the last three shorts and the respective commentaries too. Richard M Roberts should be complimented on the commentaries. He's personable, has a sense of humor, and is informative at the same time.

As for the shorts, mostly very good. Even the lesser ones are tolerable, but there are some real gems in this set. I have a theory that Chase didn't catch on with young baby boomers on television like The Three Stooges, Our Gang, and Laurel and Hardy did because the films were too adult. In the case of WHISPERING WHOOPEE and LOOSER THAN LOOSE, very pre code adult at that.

Really hoping more volumes get released, and if I may be extra greedy, other Roach series as well.

boblipton

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Also they didn't play in constant rotation on weekday afternoons on WPIX after school.

Bob
— Joe Darion

Metaldams

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 6:50 pm

boblipton wrote:Also they didn't play in constant rotation on weekday afternoons on WPIX after school.

Bob

I would imagine that would play a big part too. Do you or anyone else know if they were packaged for WPIX and other channels to play and the channels neglected them, or were they simply never packaged?

bigshot

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm

I just got my copy. Excited to get a chance to watch it.

Edit: Watched a few of these with young cartoonist and improv comedy friends and everyone was blown away. They couldn't believe they'd never seen these shorts and were surprised to see prostitution being so front and center.

SilentEchoes57

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 11:30 pm

What a beautiful set! Charley in top form, crisp, clear prints, entertaining commentary by Richard M. Roberts. This is such a treat! What an age we live in where these films are once again made available. Simply wonderful - hooray!

bigshot

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 12:44 am

We ran across one print that had an awful lot of density shifts. It was watchable, but not perfect. I'm sure it's as good as it gets, but it's important to state that not everything is perfect.

Rob Farr

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 am

bigshot wrote:We ran across one print that had an awful lot of density shifts. It was watchable, but not perfect. I'm sure it's as good as it gets, but it's important to state that not everything is perfect.

Have you ever seen a home video presentation mastered from 85-year-old elements that was perfect? I haven't.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am

I can just hear the gears spinning up at that other site, but this is a set that starts with a disclaimer about the surviving quality, and Bigshot's observation seems apt and fair to me.

I have seen perfection at that age, actually (I'd say Criterion's The Man Who Knew Too Much basically achieves it), but I know how the Roach films have been roughly handled, and it's very good for two reel comedies at that age. I'm happy to have it.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

bigshot

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 11:14 am

I was just commenting that although three of the titles we watched looked great, the fourth one had an awful lot of density shifts. I'm not nit picking when I say that. It actually was an awful lot of density shifts. I'm sure since they're being completist about it, they have to include titles that don't survive in good shape. This one was not in good shape. But it was watchable. That's just a statement of fact, not a value judgement.

boblipton

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 11:32 am

Mine was supposed to have shipped on Friday and I’ll be glad to get it, density shifts and all. I’ve see some poor copies over the years, and have learned to be grateful for whatever survives. With at least three of them new to me.....

Bob
— Joe Darion

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 1:17 pm

Some of the 1930 ones seem a little heavy on the noise reduction.

boblipton

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 pm

My copy has arrived and I've taken a look at the first two shorts, with which I was already familiar, The Real McCoy and Whispering Whoopee. The prints are as good as any Chases I have seen from this era and Mr. Roberts' commentary track is very good.

Bob
— Joe Darion
PreviousNext

Return to Talkie News