More Technicolor snippets found!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

BGM

More Technicolor snippets found!

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 5:48 pm

I was excited to read on the Vitaphone website that another tin of two color snippets from missing films has been found. According to the announcement the bits include Show of Shows,Sally, On with the Show and Gold Diggers of Broadway. This is great news!

busby1959

Re: More Technicolor snippets found!

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:50 am

Wonderful news indeed!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Any more info? Or perhaps a link, please...

Scott Eckhardt

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 6:33 pm

This missing tin of snippets was found in July and contains 30 to 60 second clips that are believed to have been included with the purchase of toy projectors. This is from the latest Vitsphone News from this past spring/summer edition. Perhaps an update will be included with the next issue due out soon.

vitaphone

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 am

Yes our latest issue (marked "New" on The Vitaphone Project website. http://www.vitaphoneproject.com" target="_blank )reported this. This was in addition to another group of 35mm nitrate Technicolor fragments running 45-60 seconds each from two years ago. All will be repatriated eventually. All are clips from 1929 Warner Bros musicals, mainly ON WITH THE SHOW, SHOW OF SHOWS, SALLY, and GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY. All previously unknown in color.

Way too soon to discuss timing or availability but it will happen one day.

David Alp

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Below are Technicolor fragments from "On With The Show" (1929) As you can see, this film would look just stunning if only they could find all of the Technicolor.

Dean Thompson

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Whoo! Those fourth and fifth frames in particular are just breathtaking!

drednm

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Excellent!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

sethb

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 5:28 pm

Looking at these lovely Technicolor clips, I'm wondering why these films were not preserved in color. My understanding is that sometime in the early 1950's, when these nitrate films were finally transferred to safety film, they were simply printed on black & white stock (and in some cases only as 16mm reduction prints, too). Obviously these short clips survived in fairly decent shape, so I don't know why the complete films couldn't have been copied in color, unless there were conscious decisions not to do so at the time.

Was the problem simply one of cost, since b/w stock was obviously a lot cheaper? Or was it because these films were primarily being sold to television stations, which were only broadcasting in b/w anyway at that time? Or were there technical problems in copying to color stock --- poor quality film elements, fading, registration or timing problems, etc.

I also remember reading somewhere that at some point in the 1950's or 1960's, the Technicolor facility in California needed more storage room, so they offered to return many early Technicolor movies to the various studios that produced them. Not seeing any commercial or any other value in these early talkies at that time, the studios generally declined, at which point most of the film in question was junked, making it impossible to copy or archive them for future generations. Not the first, and not the last, short-sighted decision made in Hollywood!! SETH
"Novelty is always welcome, but talking pictures are just a fad." -- Irving Thalberg
"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk ?" -- Harry Warner

westegg

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 7:24 am

I don't know why archives didn't accept them, or were they offered too?

:shock:

vitaphone

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 7:35 am

Strongly suggest you get THE DAWN OF TECHNICOLOR 1915-35 by James Layton and David Pierce. Covers this in detail.

busby1959

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 am

Unbelieveable. So many early talkers are lost to us, yet "Howdy, Broadway" has survived. Just disgraceful.

David Alp

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:03 pm

vitaphone wrote:Strongly suggest you get THE DAWN OF TECHNICOLOR 1915-35 by James Layton and David Pierce. Covers this in detail.

Vitaphone (or are you Ron Hutchison?) Anyway Ron/Vitaphone, this is very important; I wonder if you could POST a picture or a photograph, or a link on this thread, of the actual children's toy projector that these Technicolor snippets were found in! The reason being is that I (and all the other guys on this board) could then be extra vigilant when browsing Ebay, and KNOW visually what we are looking for. I myself would LOVE to find more Technicolor from "Gold Diggers Of Broadway", and these toy projectors seem to be the only way of finding such material.

Please guys -- If Ron Hutchison or Darren Nemmeth is reading this -- please post photographs of the kids projector -- so I know what i am looking for. Thanks guys.

William D. Ferry

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:30 pm

:shock: Wow, just WOW! I am gobsmacked by these frame grabs. I usually think of early Technicolor as pretty drab. But, boy am I glad to be proven wrong. Of course, my exposure has been limited, but looking at these and trying to see them through the eyes of 1929 audiences, I can understand why it was a big deal then. Thank so much for sharing!
Yours for bigger and better silents,

William D. Ferry
(Blackhawk Customer #0191462)

Thad Komorowski

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:15 pm

A lot of early Technicolor has the unfortunate setback of earning that drab reputation from poor/outdated reproduction and telecine work. It really is quite pleasing in its natural state.

vitaphone

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 pm

David Alp, none of us ever saw any of the toy projectors you mentioned. All the fragments were found in several canisters, but a projector itself (which we believe as the original source of the fragments) was never anything we saw.

vitaphone

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 am

If you google " nitrate 35mm toy movie projector " and click "images" you'll see a bunch of them.

Darren Nemeth

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 7:16 pm

If overseas it could have been a Bing projector.

When a movies commercial life had ended one of its fates was to be cut into 50 - 100 foot lengths and sold for toy projector use.

Individual frames were also sold for eye viewers and slide attachments for toy projectors that had them. Like the Keystone projectors in the USA.

Darren Nemeth

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 7:18 pm

If you are looking for projectors with lost nitrate fragments on the USA eBay good luck. That source had dried up about seven years ago. The best place to look will be the overseas eBay's.

Return to Talkie News