Charlie Chaplin question for you.

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Winnipeg

Charlie Chaplin question for you.

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering, does anyone know what type of advertisement (poster, post cards, newspaper ad, etc) would have been available in Russia around 1912 that would feature Charlie Chaplin (or impersonators)? Any thoughts or information would be a big help. Thanks!!

Laura

Gagman 66

Re: Charlie Chaplin question for you.

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 4:13 pm

:? None in 1912. Chaplin didn't make his first film until late 1913, and it wasn't released until 1914. He did come to America touring in the Fred Karno group in 1910, but went right back to England after the tour was over for awhile.

Winnipeg

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 5:20 am

Thanks for replying to my post. I realize that he hadn't started making films at that time but was his image already circulating to any extent through the vaudeville scene? There is a Russian artist who drew a picture of Chaplin and the artwork is dated 1912. I'm wondering how she could have become aware of him at such an early date. To my knowledge the first Chaplin film was screened in Soviet Russia in 1919.

Arndt

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 am

Was it Madame Blavatsky? That would explain it.
MELIOR

Winnipeg

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 7:32 am

It is by the Constructivist artist Varvara Stepanova.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 am

Winnipeg wrote:It is by the Constructivist artist Varvara Stepanova.

I found an article about Varvara Stepanova's work (in a website called monoskop,org) where it's reported that she made a series of linocuts depicting Chaplin in 1922. By that time Chaplin was world famous, and everyone was familiar with the Little Tramp character. I believe the date 1912, wherever it was you saw it, must have been a typo for 1922.
-- Charlie Morrow

Winnipeg

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 10:21 am

The 1922 Kino-Fot series is different than the image I am looking at. There is a separate singular work from when she was a student that is dated 1912. I wonder about the date myself, but it seems plausible, just strangely early. It's such an intriguing mystery.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 10:40 am

Winnipeg wrote:The 1922 Kino-Fot series is different than the image I am looking at. There is a separate singular work from when she was a student that is dated 1912. I wonder about the date myself, but it seems plausible, just strangely early. It's such an intriguing mystery.

Are you sure that the 1912 image is intended to represent Charlie Chaplin? Or is it a man with a derby and a cane who (coincidentally, perhaps) resembles the character Chaplin created at Keystone, some two years later? In 1912 Chaplin was a moderately successful stage comedian, known to audiences in the U.K. and in parts of America where the Karno troupe had appeared, but he had not yet made any movies, and was unknown in Russia and the rest of the non-English speaking world.
-- Charlie Morrow

greta de groat

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Max Linder may have already been popular in Russia by then, are you sure it isn't him?

Greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

missdupont

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 8:07 pm

I agree with Greta, Max Linder was already a top star in 1912, and Chaplin later said he based some of his act on him. Max was much more debonair than Charley, so it would make sense it's him.

Rollo Treadway

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Winnipeg wrote:There is a Russian artist who drew a picture of Chaplin and the artwork is dated 1912.

Is that date in the artwork itself, or dated as such by your source? Could you possibly upload the image for us?

As already noted, if it's supposed to represent his tramp character (derby, moustache, cane, etc.) then it cannot be as early as 1912.

Winnipeg

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 5:17 am

Thanks for your input. The image is named 'Charlie Chaplin with papirosa.' I believe papirosa is a colloquial term for a cheap homemade type of a cigarette. I will try to upload a copy of the image but I am having trouble with some files on my computer. The image is very Chaplin-esque, but is faceless and without much detail. The figure is standing with his legs crossed, wearing a bowler hat, and has a cane and is smoking a cigarette.

Winnipeg

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 5:20 am

The date seems to have been given by the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts in Moscow. I haven't seen the original but it is not dated on the work in the reproduction. Would you agree that 1915 would be a more plausible date?

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 am

Winnipeg wrote:The date seems to have been given by the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts in Moscow. I haven't seen the original but it is not dated on the work in the reproduction. Would you agree that 1915 would be a more plausible date?

The year 1915 marked the beginning of the "Chaplin Craze," so yes, 1915 or any date after that would be plausible. For the reasons noted above, 1912 is almost certainly an error.
-- Charlie Morrow

Return to Talking About Silents