Loving The Classics: A Warning

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

silentmovies742

Loving The Classics: A Warning

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 am

I thought it would be a good thing to bring to your attention my recent experience regarding Loving the Classics, which I'm sure a number of us have used in the past. As many will know, this is a "grey" label, offering BOD DVDs of "public domain" films. Not all of their films are public domain, but that's not the issue here.

Last month they were offering Empty Hearts starring Clara Bow, and a film I have not seen available elsewhere. I purchased the item, which is still yet to arrive. I have contacted them about this - no replies to what are now numerous emails, and even their phone line is permanently on answerphone.

Perhaps they have been reported for their operation and been closed down. Perhaps the plague has swept their offices. I have no idea. But, as a warning to those who are likely to use them, i would suggest avoiding at all costs for the time being - meanwhile they have my $20 and are no doubt laughing all the way to the bank.

drednm

Re: Loving The Classics: A Warning

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 am

I've had the same experience with them. They go through the motions but never follow up on anything. I finally started posting complaints on their Facebook page. When I finally asked WHY EVEN BOTHER BEING IN BUSINESS IF YOU CAN'T MANAGE TO PUT A DISK IN THE MAIL... they banned me from their Facebook page .... LOL

But judging from the posts, nothing ever changes with that outfit.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
--------------------
"You're only as good as your last picture." Marie Dressler
Letters from Oblivion http://www.lulu.com/shop/edward-lorusso ... 57852.html

entredeuxguerres

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am

Banned fom Facebook...oh, my.

But surely no one (except my obstinate friend, Gagman) is so unwise as to pay for ANY mail-order except by credit-card? Which means, despite some aggravation, an eventual refund.

silentmovies742

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:28 am

drednm wrote:I've had the same experience with them. They go through the motions but never follow up on anything. I finally started posting complaints on their Facebook page. When I finally asked WHY EVEN BOTHER BEING IN BUSINESS IF YOU CAN'T MANAGE TO PUT A DISK IN THE MAIL... they banned me from their Facebook page .... LOL

But judging from the posts, nothing ever changes with that outfit.

Thanks. It's rather odd, as I have had three or four dealings with them and they have been quick and courteous and the quality of the films have been relatively good. At least I now know better for the future!

drednm

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 am

Yes. Eventually I got refunds but what I really wanted were the films.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
--------------------

silentmovies742

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 am

drednm wrote:Yes. Eventually I got refunds but what I really wanted were the films.....

Yes, me too

silentmovies742

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 am

drednm wrote:Yes. Eventually I got refunds but what I really wanted were the films.....

Yes, me too They are currently responding on facebook after I left a rather caustic message asking if they had been wiped out by the bubonic plague!

George O'Brien

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 12:40 pm

It's funny. Their copy of John Ford's SALUTE (1929) is from the same AMC 1999 broadcast as my old VHS tape.

The AMC logo, and an orangey "Film Preservation Festival" avatar appears from time to time on the screen's bottom left.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

silentmovies742

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Yes, this is true. I have their copy as well. That said, if you want the film, I guess that's fine and a source you can get i from (legalities aside) - especially if you're out of the US and weren't around for those early video recordings. I don't mind paying $14 for such a copy if I have to - I just like to receive it! lol

drednm

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 2:39 pm

You'd be better off buying copies from Nitrateville members....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
--------------------

didi-5

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 2:50 pm

I've only used them once, for Oh Rosalinda, and it took a while but my order did come through. Sad to hear they may be in some difficulties.

Brooksie

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 5:48 pm

I have bought from them before without trouble, but I recently ordered a new release and got a message a week ago that it was out of stock and would not be available for 1-4 weeks. Guess I'll report back here if I don't see it within a fortnight or so.

frostwing

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi, I was curious is this the complete film of empty hearts or the incomplete 20 minute version.

moviepas

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 am

I won't go into details now but some time ago, maybe two-three years ago, I had a lot of trouble with them and got nowhere. The excuse was that the woman runs the joint and was in hospital for an unspecified operation and the man(her husband, supposedly) could run a joss house(my words entirely). I gave up in desperation. I am not sure how much they love the classics but they do love taking people's money.

Richard Finegan

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 am

silentmovies742 wrote:Last month they were offering "Empty Hearts" starring Clara Bow, and a film I have not seen available elsewhere...

Sounds like you ordered "Empty Hearts" but may end up with "Empty Mailbox" !

drednm

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 6:20 am

Even though LTC is not a member of Chamber of Commerce (what a surprise) I used them to leverage a refund.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
--------------------

silentmovies742

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 pm

frostwing wrote:Hi, I was curious is this the complete film of empty hearts or the incomplete 20 minute version.

It says it runs for 60 minutes, so they'd better run and hide if it arrives and it's only 20!

drednm

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 pm

I thought only the 20-minute fragment survived....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
--------------------

silentmovies742

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 am

That might well be why they suddenly are unable to send a replacement!

sepiatone

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 am

they followed suit like WarnerArchives, and won't take money order or check, only credit card. I can see not taking checks but a Postal Money Order?

Paul Penna

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 12:15 pm

sepiatone wrote:they followed suit like WarnerArchives, and won't take money order or check, only credit card. I can see not taking checks but a Postal Money Order?

Paper fund transfers = labor intensive; electronic: not.

silentmovies742

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Their latest move is almost admirable in its sheer nerve. I have received an apology from LTC via email, telling me as a good will gesture I will get a discount on any order made within the next 12 days. Considering I still don't have my last order or a refund, the time frame seems like an insult - why would I spend more money with them when they haven't sorted out their last bungle?

Seems to me that some bright spark has decided the best way forward is to try to entice the mugs still waiting for product to spend yet more money from them as soon as possible! I wrote back and said that I would not be taking them up on their offer!

drednm

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 5:48 pm

They always use that ploy......
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
--------------------

Jeff Crouse

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 6:24 pm

On the other hand, I've ordered six films from them (three of them recently) and haven't even had a smidgen of problems. The films always arrive in a timely manner, and paying for them through PayPal has worked smoothly. So my experience with the company has been fine.

Derwiddian

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am

I have a hierarchy for mail order DVD houses, and Loving the Classics is the worst, absolute bottom. Yes, I've received some DVD's promptly, but it's always a crapshoot. Totally unreliable. Some orders will be months late, some never arrive, and they rarely respond to any message system known to man. Look everywhere else first, including YouTube.

If you must have that title, and LTC is the only source, then a rule of thumb is to inflate the asking price by 50%. Why? Because sometimes if you independently order the same (unreceived) title a second time you will get it with an unexplained 50% discount. So you end up paying 150% of the listed price. Can't guarantee that always works because I've only been stupid enough to try it once.

And if you must buy from them, pay by credit card so that you can contest charges. But you usually have only one billing cycle to challenge the expense, and LTC sometimes takes several cycles to complete your order, assuming they complete it at all.

In other words, if you cannot accept risk of loss, don't order from LTC. Even if you can afford to lose your ante, it still should be no better than your last recourse.

Zool

PostSun Mar 10, 2013 1:04 am

No. Loving The Classics never answers their phone. They do have someone you can chat with available during certain hours of the day. And trust me, the chat option DID WORK splendidly. I made some inquiries about the availability of some films, and the person on the other end was very helpful.

I've ordered a couple of movies from them and didn't have any trouble at all. The second time around, they were a little slow getting it in the mail, but it did arrive in about two weeks.

They accept Paypal and credit cards. I opted to use my Paypal account because in the past, it's been my experience that when there is a dispute, Paypal almost always sides with the BUYER, and not the seller. This is true for transactions out of eBay as well. It's to your benefit to use Paypal whenever possible, as dealing with them to get a refund is slightly less of a headache than your credit card company.

I believe I will order from them again in the future. Perhaps later this month.

true story!
--------------------------
"Stay hungry. Stay foolish."
Steve Jobs (2005)

drednm

PostSun Mar 10, 2013 5:11 am

Add Scooter Movies Shop to the list. Going on 2 months with an order for one film. No film, no response, no credit.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
--------------------

sepiatone

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Zool wrote:No. Loving The Classics never answers their phone. They do have someone you can chat with available during certain hours of the day. And trust me, the chat option DID WORK splendidly. I made some inquiries about the availability of some films, and the person on the other end was very helpful.

I've ordered a couple of movies from them and didn't have any trouble at all. The second time around, they were a little slow getting it in the mail, but it did arrive in about two weeks.

They accept Paypal and credit cards. I opted to use my Paypal account because in the past, it's been my experience that when there is a dispute, Paypal almost always sides with the BUYER, and not the seller. This is true for transactions out of eBay as well. It's to your benefit to use Paypal whenever possible, as dealing with them to get a refund is slightly less of a headache than your credit card company.

I believe I will order from them again in the future. Perhaps later this month.

true story!

I increasingly hear horror stories about PayPal in conjunction with Ebay. This guy advocates using ProPay and never use PayPal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW1YklVHVKM

Changsham

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 4:05 pm

I have nothing but praise for Paypals customer protection. I have had three incidents where I had had my money refunded by Paypal for goods bought on Ebay where the seller refused to refund for less than satisfactory products. Including a purchase of over $2000 for fake antiques.

Brooksie

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 12:02 pm

I still haven't received my order. I believe it's a month tomorrow since I made it. Guess I will give them the benefit of the doubt in case it arrives today ... but after that ...
Next

Return to Talking About Silents