It's the 8th Annual "Watch That Movie Night," Fri Jan. 22

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

It's the 8th Annual "Watch That Movie Night," Fri Jan. 22

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 8:20 am

Watch That Movie Night at NitrateVille is Friday, January 22

Lash up the sled dogs, put the outrigger canoes in the water, put the oranges in a bowl on the floor and dig deep into your video collections— it's time to go exploring on Watch That Movie Night at NitrateVille, sponsored by Kino Lorber!

Watch That Movie Night began eight Januarys ago as a way to liven up the dead of winter by finding something forgotten in your movie collection and watching and writing about it on NitrateVille— making you eligible for a giveaway of Kino titles. And our friends at Kino are sweetening the deal with the richest giveaway yet, three sets containing each of three new releases devoted to films of exploration from the early 20th century:

• Tabu, F.W. Murnau's last film, shot on location in the South Seas
Moana, Robert Flaherty's 1926 film of life in the South Seas, with a soundtrack created on location by his daughter
• And The Epic of Everest, the film of George Mallory's expedition to the top of Everest

Here's how your chance to win all three (in blu-ray or DVD, your choice) works:

The idea is, we nearly all have things that have been in our collections for a long time, unwatched—blu-ray, DVD, VHS, 16mm, 9.5mm, whatever you have. Here's your chance to finally watch them and share your enjoyment (or not) with others. And if you're one of those people who actually watches everything as it comes in, that's okay too— just pick something you've wanted to see for a long time. Or anything. Then:

1. Announce your choice in this thread.

2. Watch it on (or around) Friday, January 22.

3. And post something, anything about it in this thread by Monday, January 25th.

Winners will be selected at random from all posters and announced here the next day. (In other words, it's not a literary contest— we're not judging your entry, whatever you post gets you into the drawing. Sorry, US and Canada posters only for the prize due to rights issues, but we'll be happy to hear from everybody all the same.)

So please join me in taking the "Watch That Movie Night" pledge and announcing your choice over the coming days. Then be prepared for a great movie you might never have watched otherwise, and lots of interesting posts from NitrateVillains. If you've lurked but never posted before, what better way to make your first post than by joining in today!

Here's the link to the first Watch that Movie Night thread, and the second, the third, the fourth, the fifth, the sixth and the seventh. Check 'em out-- there's lots of great commentary in them.

First step is to make your pledge of what you're going to watch— here's mine. I've owned the Fox Murnau/Borzage set since it came out. I watched a bunch of the films— I posted about some of them here— but there are three 1931-2 Borzage talkies, Bad Girl, After Tomorrow and Young America, that I haven't seen. (Apparently I've mainly rewatched things I'd already seen, like Lucky Star.) So I'm going to try to get through all three by Watch That Movie Night, and report here.

Now it's your turn, what are you going to watch?
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

silentfilm

Re: It's the 8th Annual "Watch That Movie Night," Fri Jan. 2

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 9:51 pm

Since I got Kino's "Reel Baseball" for Christmas (produced by Nitratevillain Jessica Rosner), I'll be watching THE BUSHER (1919) with Charles Ray and Colleen Moore and HEARTS ARE DIAMONDS (1914) with John Bunny.

rudyfan

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 11:37 pm

I was just gifted Diary of a Lost Girl, I'll watch that

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 8:28 pm

A long time ago I went to a screening of Josef von Sternberg’s The Docks of New York. I liked it a lot, and soon afterwards acquired a copy of it to watch at home. For some reason I can’t explain, it has been on my shelf ever since, unopened. For how long, you ask? This is a VHS tape we’re talking about, still in its unbroken plastic shrink wrap. So for Watch That Movie Night 2016, I’m going to open up this sucker and see if it still plays. (Happily, I do have a working VCR.) And then, if all goes well, I’ll see if I still like The Docks of New York.

P.S. If it doesn't play, I have a couple of fallback choices. But we'll keep our fingers crossed . . .
-- Charlie Morrow

mwalls

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Last Summer I was very excited to find Criterion's Eclipse Silent Ozu at Barnes and Noble. But, after the initial excitement of buying it, the box has sat. I will watch at least Dragnet Girl (if not all three) for the contest.

Matthew

oldposterho

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 9:29 pm

It'll be The Testament of Dr. Mabuse for me. Can't believe I've let this one go for so long.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 10:49 am

Okay, that's a good start but we've got THREE sets of three films each to give away, our richest treasure trove ever thanks to Kino. So let's get some more folks taking the pledge and announcing what they're going to watch for Watch That Movie Night! You can't win if you don't enter...
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

robertelee

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 2:14 pm

I think that i will watch some German Expressionism. I will watch either the new blu-ray of Faust, or i will re-watch Caligari.

Roseha

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 8:14 pm

I'll watch the Flicker Alley set of early Lon Chaney: Victory and The Wicked Darling, which I purchased this year.
- Rosemary

Big Silent Fan

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 11:55 am

Well, there's nothing in my collection of nearly 1,500 features I haven't already watched one or more times, but this Sunday on TCM, they'll be showing "The Blue Bird" (1918). I never saw this before.
Directed by Maurice Tourneur, I'm sure I'll have something to say about it on Monday.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Roseha wrote:I'll watch the Flicker Alley set of early Lon Chaney: Victory and The Wicked Darling, which I purchased this year.

Nice choice - watched those two last year.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Digging into the bran tub, a toss-up between Fritz lang's LILIOM (1934) or Murnau's PHANTOM (1922). Will have a muggins down in the archive to see if there are any other suitable candidates....

Realised that I don't have a big enough 'window' for LILIOM and haven't found PHANTOM, so will plump for EARTH (1930) as I've not seen that one since the early 1970s and my dvd has been awaiting viewing for quite a few years...
Last edited by earlytalkiebuffRob on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rudyfan

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Okay, insomnia left me with not wanting to waste the time tossing and turning in bed, so I popped The Diary of a Lost Girl in the player. I have to confess, the mass appeal of Louise Brooks has eluded me, I love still photos of her and prefer Clara Bow. From what I gather, Louise did too! I found in this film she was really quite good (and so hopefully redeem myself to the Louise Brooks fans by my confession above). Diary of a Lost Girl is not an entirely pretty story, but, from this period in Germany, not unexpected. The KINO Blu-ray is fabulous (good job everyone involved). I also thoroughly enjoyed listening to Thomas Gladysz' audio commentary. As founder of the Louise Brooks Society, I'm glad he had the chance to be the voiceover for this. Stellar!

Brooksie

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm currently on the other side of the world from my pile of unwatched DVDs, but I will find something with which to participate ... a very rare Australian film from the 1930s has recently come into my hands, so it could be that.

Little Caesar

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 3:52 am

I'll take up the challenge with my unwatched blu-ray of "The Lady Vanishes."
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

Big Silent Fan

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 7:28 am

rudyfan wrote: I have to confess, the mass appeal of Louise Brooks has eluded me...I found in this film she was really quite good (and so hopefully redeem myself to the Louise Brooks fans by my confession above). Diary of a Lost Girl is not an entirely pretty story, but, from this period in Germany, not unexpected.

Now that you've enjoyed "Diary of a Lost Girl," be sure to see Louise in "Prix de Beaute" and perhaps the Wellman film, "Beggars of Life" (both favorites of mine).
"Prix de Beaute" is an early French Talkie where Brooks is the star with another actress doing the voice-over much the same as they did with Hitchcock's "Blackmail."
Louise Brooks acting talent is obvious in both these features.

mwalls

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 8:56 am

Big Silent Fan wrote:
rudyfan wrote: I have to confess, the mass appeal of Louise Brooks has eluded me...I found in this film she was really quite good (and so hopefully redeem myself to the Louise Brooks fans by my confession above). Diary of a Lost Girl is not an entirely pretty story, but, from this period in Germany, not unexpected.

Now that you've enjoyed "Diary of a Lost Girl," be sure to see Louise in "Prix de Beaute" and perhaps the Wellman film, "Beggars of Life" (both favorites of mine).
"Prix de Beaute" is an early French Talkie where Brooks is the star with another actress doing the voice-over much the same as they did with Hitchcock's "Blackmail."

I am currently working my way through several Louise Brooks films. Diary of a Lost Girl was very good, and I loved Beggars of Life. Next up for me are the two Westerns she made. I am keeping an eye out for Prix de Beaute to get it at a decent price. So far, the cheapest I have found is $50.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 9:03 am

Big Silent Fan wrote:

Prix de Beauté (Miss Europe) also survives in a silent version, and personally I think it plays better in that form. The finale takes on an added irony, as our leading lady views her own talkie screen test -- only in the silent version, she remains mute. It's an unconscious prediction of what would happen in reality with Louise Brooks' movie career. There's a scene in The Artist that appears to be an homage to this sequence.
-- Charlie Morrow

drednm

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 9:22 am

I've had a gift of Interstellar (2014) sitting around. I'll try to watch this weekend. The 170-minute running time is NOT a plus.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

NotSoSilent

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 10:33 am

I plan on watching Houdini in Terror Island. I've been looking for a reason to give it a try.

drednm

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 11:37 am

For a silent, I'll finally watch The Delicious Little Devil (1919) since it got mentioned in another thread.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Rick Lanham

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 12:08 pm

I will watch either Underworld or The Docks of New York by von Sternberg.
I know that I've not watched either, despite having the Criterion set.

Rick

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 3:41 pm

Brooksie wrote:I'm currently on the other side of the world from my pile of unwatched DVDs, but I will find something with which to participate ... a very rare Australian film from the 1930s has recently come into my hands, so it could be that.

Mmm... more on that, if you please...

BGM

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Dolores del Rio in Evangeline.

Big Silent Fan

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 pm

BGM wrote:Dolores del Rio in Evangeline.

Great film of historical significance that I've enjoyed several times. Very compelling drama (love story) with a nice conclusion.

Enjoy.

Donald Binks

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 11:25 pm

I have so many pictures to get through - in a pile that never ceases to diminish. I often wonder whether I will get through them all before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Because in Oz we are now in that part of the year where the television is blurting out more rubbish than usual, cramming the airwaves with such idle rot as golf, tennis, cricket and any other game that involves the usage of a ball - I have more time to devote to watching pictures.

Some Nitratevillains will know that I watch quite a few pictures in a week if they bother to be bored to sobs with my drivel in "What was the last silent/talkie you watched" - but, for the 22nd January I have decided to finally get around to looking at Abwege" (1928) (a.k.a. "Crise" and "The Devious Path".) I should have looked at it a while ago, so I have shuffled the pile around to make sure I get to this film.

Whilst I haven't been all that impressed with the more popular of G.W. Pabst's films, I find some of the others he made quite interesting and I hope that this is one of those. I have also been trying to see a lot of Brigitte Helm's ouput and I yet have a couple of talkies she made to get to after this one.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

mwalls

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 8:07 pm

mwalls wrote:Last Summer I was very excited to find Criterion's Eclipse Silent Ozu at Barnes and Noble. But, after the initial excitement of buying it, the box has sat. I will watch at least Dragnet Girl (if not all three) for the contest.

Matthew

I know I am jumping the gun a little bit, but I watched Dragnet Girl tonight. It was the second of the three Ozu films in the set that I have watched, having watched Walked Cheerfully last week. Both Ozu films appear to have common themes. It was an enjoyable film.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Not bad, we're up to about 20 so far, but that still leaves awfully good odds for our richest prize ever-- three of each! So be sure to make the pledge this week and then join me in reporting back next weekend on what you saw.

And if you read NitrateVille but don't post here, what could be an easier way to finally join in than to post about a movie you watch this weekend?

Meanwhile, as further inducement, here's more about our three titles:

DVD Talk on Tabu: "The Kino Classics' Blu-ray presents this transitional silent (with synchronized score) in a beautifully restored edition with informative extras and lots of footage Murnau shot yet never included in the final film.... The wonderfully detailed 1080p image is presented in the film's original 1.19:1 aspect ratio. The restoration leaves some of the damage inherent in the original print, although for the most part it's a stunningly clean, nicely textured image with great texture and lovely tonal values. Although the high-definition format tends to be hit-or-miss when it comes to older films, this is one example where the enhanced resolution brings out depth in what was already a beautifully photographed image. The film's 86-minute running time restores Murnau's original approved edit, with title cards printed in English."

DVD Talk on Moana: "The Video: Moana has had a troubled journey on its way to digital preservation, and the resulting AVC-encoded 1080p 1.33:1 presentation is not without some inescapable flaws. Certain sections show damage or are muddy from multiple duplications over the years. In general, though, this is a clean and typically sharp transfer, complimented by strong black levels and an above-average range of contrast. The Audio: Besides the limitations of the original field recordings, this LPCM 2.0 stereo mix is well-preserved. As I stated above, Monica Flaherty's instincts about how to blend ambience, effects, speech, and singing are uncanny. The quiet moments are as impressively restrained as the more elaborate fishing and hunting scenes are cleverly orchestrated. No subtitles, although the original English intertitles remain."

High-Def Digest on The Epic of Everest: "For a film that is closing in on one hundred years old, 'The Epic Of Everest' maintains an incredible 1.33:1 1080p transfer.... As a historical artifact 'The Epic Of Everest' is an incredible film to experience. The color tinting evokes a somber mood while the incredible scope of the undertaking is beautifully captured. The fact that after 91 years this film has survived is amazing. Kino Lorber has done an incredible job bringing this film to Blu-ray and with a new score by Simon Fisher Turner, 'The Epic Of Everest' remains an important document of human endurance. It's more than a simple movie or travel film, it's an important historical record. I can't recommend this movie highly enough. "

Christopher Jacobs

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Okay, I should finally be back home in a few days with time to catch up on a bunch of recently-acquired Blu-rays, but in keeping with the spirit of "Watch That Movie Night" I plan to sit down and watch Roberto Benigni's THE TIGER AND THE SNOW (2005), aka LA TIGRE E LA NEVE. Several people have told me I'd like it and one gave me a DVD of it a couple of years ago that I've been resisting watching simply because it's a DVD and not yet available on Blu-ray. I even brought it with me to the Gift of Life Transplant House but never got around to watching it. This seems like the perfect opportunity to check it out after all this time. (I may also watch a Blu-ray or two over the weekend if my Amazon order has arrived by then.)

And I will also second the recommendation of THE EPIC OF EVEREST, the only one of those three Kino Blu-rays that I already have. My review is in the "Old Movies in HD" thread at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3022&p=164741#p161986" target="_blank" target="_blank I'd love to see MOANA (for the first time) and TABU (for the first time in a long time).

rudyfan

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 12:41 am

mwalls wrote:
mwalls wrote:Last Summer I was very excited to find Criterion's Eclipse Silent Ozu at Barnes and Noble. But, after the initial excitement of buying it, the box has sat. I will watch at least Dragnet Girl (if not all three) for the contest.

Matthew

I know I am jumping the gun a little bit, but I watched Dragnet Girl tonight. It was the second of the three Ozu films in the set that I have watched, having watched Walked Cheerfully last week. Both Ozu films appear to have common themes. It was an enjoyable film.

I LOVED Dragnet Girl!
Next

Return to Talking About Silents