Quick Question about SFSFF's Beggars of Life

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

mwalls

Quick Question about SFSFF's Beggars of Life

PostTue May 17, 2016 5:00 pm

I just read that Beggars of Life will be shown at this year's San Francisco Silent Film Festival. It is my understanding that the only known source print known to exist is an old 16mm print archived at the GEH. Will the festival show the 16mm print, or a 35mm copy, or a DVD version?

Matthew

DShepFilm

Re: Quick Question about SFSFF's Beggars of Life

PostTue May 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Knowing the resources now at the George Eastman Museum, I think it's almost certain that they will show a DCP of a full digital restoration based on a new scan of the 16mm original print.

They ran this same film three or four years ago, also from the GEM, and that was a 35mm blow-up from the 16mm original. It looked quite good.

David Shepard

Nick_M

PostWed May 18, 2016 1:50 am

The SF Film on Film Foundation calendar doesn't list it as one of the titles being shown from prints: http://www.filmonfilm.org/filmcalendar/?days=3&month=June&day=3&year=2016&sponsor=SFSFF

Rodney

PostWed May 18, 2016 7:43 am

DShepFilm wrote:Knowing the resources now at the George Eastman Museum, I think it's almost certain that they will show a DCP of a full digital restoration based on a new scan of the 16mm original print.

They ran this same film three or four years ago, also from the GEM, and that was a 35mm blow-up from the 16mm original. It looked quite good.

David Shepard

In which case, the short answer is "this should look about as good as it ever will, and better than almost anyone now living has seen it, unless someone discovers better source material."
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed May 18, 2016 8:22 am

The 35mm from the 16mm played in Chicago several years ago and I give it the highest praise for such efforts: you'd never have known the history if you didn't already. I'm sure the DCP will at least be as good as that as a viewing experience overall.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Roscoe

PostWed May 18, 2016 1:57 pm

The 35mm print from Eastman House played at Film Forum at some point in the past couple of years -- I saw it there and it looks great. I'm looking forward to a revisit.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostThu May 19, 2016 3:42 pm

I was wondering about BEGGARS OF LIFE the other day when I read of its rediscovery in 'The Parade's Gone By'. The only copies I've encountered have been very indifferent, so this is indeed good news.

By the way, have the sound elements resurfaced?

Rodney

PostThu May 19, 2016 4:39 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:I was wondering about BEGGARS OF LIFE the other day when I read of its rediscovery in 'The Parade's Gone By'. The only copies I've encountered have been very indifferent, so this is indeed good news.

By the way, have the sound elements resurfaced?

As of a couple of years ago, no sound survives.

For what it's worth, our score for the S.F. show is based loosely on the original cue sheet, though I made a number of substitutions for concerns of availability and taste.

Curiously, the cue sheet has a completely different waltz than the one that was widely published (both called "Beggars of Life," same year, same publisher, different composer). I've never found the other waltz any other place, and its origin remains a mystery.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

Rodney

PostThu Jun 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Having just visited the projection booth at the Castro, I can confirm that what is being shown tonight in San Francisco is a 35mm print. It looks quite good on the screen, better than I've ever seen this film before. Congratulations to the Eastman folks on this one!
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

Return to Talking About Silents