Did John McCormick help Colleen Moore's Career

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

mwalls

Did John McCormick help Colleen Moore's Career

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 12:05 pm

I just finished reading Colleen Moore's wonderful autobiography. It was very well written and she gave the good with the bad. One of the bad spots of course was her first marriage. From reading the book one got the impression that John rode her coattails while thinking he was solely responsible for her success. I am a big fan of Colleen Moore. But, might John have helped in some way though be it for the selection of stories (Lilac Time), or in contract negotiations? Or, was it pretty much like Colleen wrote in that he did little but tried to take credit for it all?

Matthew

FrankFay

Re: Did John McCormick help Colleen Moore's Career

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 pm

I gather that he had skills as a publicist, which helped her initially, but these were outweighed by his increasing liabilities- which developed into incompetence as he started tampering with the films themselves. He also held her back from entering sound films, though she ultimately was not a success in talkies
Eric Stott

salus

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Colleen seemed to do well in talkies i think she saw that the studios were putting in their new stars and system and she would have been on the way out anyhow being in her late 30s. She was wealthy anyway.

Brooksie

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 3:04 pm

What is abundantly clear from the highs and lows Moore describes in her book is that McCormick suffered from bipolar disorder, and self-medicated with alcohol. The condition no doubt contributed to both his success as a publicist and his downfall from First National. Aside from guiding Moore's career, he was briefly in charge of their entire West Coast production unit.

I have done a bit of research into his later years - he became a talent agent representing a number of former high profile actors (many of them former First National stars, such as Lloyd Hughes) who had drifted into B pictures.

Return to Talking About Silents