Video clips and history of world cinema: 1888-1897

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Zepfanman

Video clips and history of world cinema: 1888-1897

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 9:58 pm

I've published the first decade of a new series on my website. I haven't seen films presented in this way online, so hopefully it will be useful others. If not, so far it's been highly educational and entertaining for me!

10 Years 10 Films (10Y10F) is a project to display embedded YouTube selections of early world cinema. This series aims to give the audience a quick time-lapse view of how movie technology and style has developed throughout the world – one clip each year – from 1888 through 2017, starting with the foundations to see how filmmakers build or deconstruct them.

http://zepfanman.com/2017/11/videos-wor ... 8-10y10f1/" target="_blank

Praise and criticism welcomed!

-J. J.

Red Bartlett

Re: Video clips and history of world cinema: 1888-1897

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks! Nice to have all these in one place.

If I may somewhat digress... As has been stated a billion times before me I'm sure, this period in human history (the late 1880s through the start of the 1900s, marking the tail-end of the Victorian era as it were) was just such an amazing moment of human enlightenment and invention. There's really nothing to compare it to. A "big bang" if you will. It must have been dizzying to people at the time. Frightening? Exciting?

I've always wondered why -- why then? What happened at this point in history that caused such a deluge of invention? Did a space portal open up or something? Sound, film, cars, flight. Not just "stuff" and technology, but music and art -- everything. Bad stuff too. Communism, revolutions, propaganda, wars to end all wars. What the heck happened!!!?

Most events, inventions and advancements in human history and development, seemed to happen slowly over centuries and somewhat unrelated to each other. Obviously, there was a snowball effect here -- where once the technology and tools were in place, things were going to explode so-to-speak. But still... this point in history is such a vortex of cosmic proportions.

The closest thing in our time, some would say, is the internet and "the information age." While it is a multi-faceted explosion of its own -- with a lot of impacts outside its confined virtual space -- it still seems to come from a single stream. Back then, it must have seemed to be coming literally from all around. The question of "what will they think of next?" really meant something. In our time, we've largely been refining what they invented. And putting batteries in things that don't need it.

Perhaps that's why film from this period is so captivating. It not only captures people experimenting with a new invention, but actually captures them swimming out of a different age of human existence. Peeping through that vortex to see something -- perhaps us.

"My, we've gotten fat," they must think.

Zepfanman

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 10:23 am

Glad it sparked some excitement out of you. One of the many reasons I've started this series!

I'm not sure how to respond to your digression, but the end of it reminds me of that early film The Big Swallow (1901), which I'll certainly include in Part 2 of this series!

- J. J.

Red Bartlett

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 pm

yep, that's it exactly! Lol.

Also the oh-so-famous ending to the Great Train Robbery. Where, after 12 minutes of revolutionary at the time, but not-so-much anymore action, Justus D Barnes not only breaks the fourth wall (and in an incredibly dramatic fashion) but somehow to this day crosses the ethereal plane (to quote Ghostbusters) literally blasting it apart and proclaims that the two-dimensional world of yore is forever gone.

Return to Talking About Silents