Diary of a Lost Girl

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Jim Roots

Diary of a Lost Girl

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 9:50 am

I'm watching my old Kino VHS tape of this Louise Brooks classic for the third or fourth time, but first in many years. I've been struck by the number of gaps in the action, or obvious cuts.

The old VHS version is 100 minutes long. I see the most recent DVD/BR version on Kino's website has a running time of 112 minutes. Do the 12 minutes restore censor cuts, or add recovered footage that had been lost or damaged, or both?

Jim

SilentsPlease

Re: Diary of a Lost Girl

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 12:53 pm

I asked Kino back in 2001 about the differences between their VHS and their then just-released DVD, and they sent me a lengthy document containing a list of differences (download it here). The VHS was what Kino called the "English version," whereas the DVD was the "German version." The two versions were shot separately for domestic and foreign exhibitions. Actors had to perform each scene twice for the two versions, thus resulting in different body movements and facial expressions. There are scenes not found in the VHS as well. So expect to see a very different version. The 2015 Blu-ray and DVD are also based on the "German version."

Kino also made another lengthy document on the differences between the restored and unrestored versions of "Metropolis." The webpage on which it was found has long been gone, but I saved a copy. If anyone wants it too I'll put it up.

Jim Roots

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Thanks so much! I'll definitely go ahead and order the DVD/BR now, especially as it is being dumped for less than $12 USD. Should be very intriguing to watch the German version so soon after watching the English version.

Still a bit mystified by the gap in timing, though. The German original, in the document you linked, is listed at 106 minutes, leaving an extra 6 minutes on the DVD unaccounted for.

Jim

SilentsPlease

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Note that 106 min is in PAL speed, which is 4% faster than NTSC, the North American standard. Slow it down by 4% and you get about 112 min.

radiotelefonia

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Forget all of that garbage... the complete footage for this film comes from Uruguay because it was preserved uncut since its release as it is explained here. Give credit to Fernando Pereda from whom you are seeing his print.

Jim Roots

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 3:40 pm

radiotelefonia wrote:Forget all of that garbage... the complete footage for this film comes from Uruguay because it was preserved uncut since its release as it is explained here. Give credit to Fernando Pereda from whom you are seeing his print.

Yes, but is that the Kino version?

Jim

radiotelefonia

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
radiotelefonia wrote:Forget all of that garbage... the complete footage for this film comes from Uruguay because it was preserved uncut since its release as it is explained here. Give credit to Fernando Pereda from whom you are seeing his print.

Yes, but is that the Kino version?

Jim

Forget Kino, they are only distributors for the Murnau Sitfung and nothing else. It is always Fernando Pereda's version.

Return to Talking About Silents