THE THEDA BARA TOUR

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

BURBANKBOB

THE THEDA BARA TOUR

PostSat Aug 07, 2010 2:41 am

Hello
My name is Bob and I'm new to this forum. I love reading about silent film history and have put together tours for some of the stars. These
tours are just lists of places where they lived and worked during their life
and thought I'd start my first post with a tour I've just updated. I hope you like it. I'd like to know what you have to say, whether you like this or not.
Take care
Bob

THE THEDA BARA TOUR

PART ONE
1885 - 1905

CINCINNATI, OHIO
(AVONDALE SECTION)

Born - July 29, 1885 - Theodosia Burr Goodman

CHURCH AVENUE - WALNUT HILL, OHIO

MOUNT AUBURN, OHIO

AVONDALE, OHIO (Cincinnati suburb)

MITCHELL AVENUE

HARVEY AVENUE

3561 ROSEDALE PLACE

1899 - 1905
823 HUTCHINS AVENUE

1899 - 1903
WALNUT HIGH SCHOOL
Attended here while living at Hutchins Avenue

1903 - 1905
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI

PART TWO

1905 - 1917
NEW YORK CITY

WASHINGTON SQUARE, GREENWICH VILLAGE
Moved into an apartment

1915 - 1917

MANHATTAN - UPPER WEST SIDE

500 WEST END AVENUE (at 84th Street)
Had an apartment here

14 EAST 60th STREET
Then moved here.

PART THREE

1917 - 1955
LOS ANGELES

THE ALEXANDRIA HOTEL
501 SOUTH SPRING STREET
Theda stayed here when she first arrived in Hollywood.

NORTH HIGHLAND AVENUE - HOLLYWOOD
Moved here to a bungalow court

1355 NORTH LAUREL AVENUE - WEST HOLLYWOOD
THE VILLA d' ESTE APARTMENTS
She next moved here when it the Court Of The Fountain Apartments

1917 - 1919
649 WEST ADAMS BLVD - LOS ANGELES
She later sold it to Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle

UNKNOWN YEARS
1720 WHITLEY AVENUE - HOLLYWOOD
Moved here with husband, director Charles Brabin.

1930 - 1955
632 NORTH ALPINE DRIVE, BEVERLY HILLS
Her last home. After her death Brabin moved to Santa Monica where he
died in 1957.

FOREST LAWN MEMORIAL PARK, GLENDALE, CA.
THE GREAT MAUSOLEUM

COLUMBARIUM OF MEMORY
THEDA BARA

SANCTUARY OF COMMUNION
CHARLES BRABIN

PART FOUR
HER CAREER - 1908 - 1926

STAGE APPEARANCES

BROADWAY

'THE DEVIL'

'THE BLUE FLAME'

'BELLA DONNA' - LOS ANGELES
She made her last stage appearance in this Little Theater Production which ran for five nights.

FILM CAREER - 1914 - 1926 - 45 FILMS
Only six complete prints exist

[/i]

missdupont

PostSun Aug 08, 2010 10:37 am

The Villa d'Este apartment building in West Hollywood is gorgeous, I drive by it every day on my way to work. It has a historical marker on it, and is located right next door to an older apartment complex that looks like a southern mansion and is closed. It was supposed to be redeveloped, but the problems with the economy have saved it so far.

Tracy

PostTue Aug 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks for all the great site locations. I plan on checking some of these out.

salus

PostTue Aug 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Very interesting post!

Frederica

Re: THE THEDA BARA TOUR

PostTue Aug 10, 2010 2:13 pm

BURBANKBOB wrote:1917 - 1919
649 WEST ADAMS BLVD - LOS ANGELES
She later sold it to Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle

Theda never owned the West Adams house, she rented it from Randolph Huntington Miner. But she certainly lived there.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Brooksie

PostThu Aug 12, 2010 3:48 am

If you have addresses of the stars' homes, you can have endless fun using Google Maps to do virtual tours. Here's the West Adams Blvd home, for example: http://tinyurl.com/2apvzkg.

(Is that an interpretive sign out the front with a picture of Theda on it? :D)

Frederica

PostThu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 am

Brooksie wrote:If you have addresses of the stars' homes, you can have endless fun using Google Maps to do virtual tours. Here's the West Adams Blvd home, for example: http://tinyurl.com/2apvzkg.

(Is that an interpretive sign out the front with a picture of Theda on it? :D)

Yup, it is. I can't see from the angle, but they might have Arbuckle's photo on the sign, too. (I'll bet there's no photo of Joe Schenck on it. Just a guess.) They have similar signs up in the older areas of town with little blurbs about the history of the neighborhood and the people, not necessarily from the film industry, who lived there.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

CoffeeDan

PostThu Aug 12, 2010 10:51 am

Great tour! Just a couple of corrections -- should be Walnut HILLS and Walnut HILLS High School.

BURBANKBOB

THEDA BARA TOUR

PostTue Aug 24, 2010 1:16 am

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you folks liked the tour.
I also appreciate the corrections mentioned. I've put together hundreds of these tours and I have no doubt that I've made many mistakes. So,
any and all corrections are welcomed. I try to add photos to my tours
and if anyone would like a list of tours let me know. My next tour to be posted will be on John Gilbert.
Take care
Bob

sepiatone

PostFri Oct 15, 2010 9:33 am

I think Theda actually participated in one or more radio broadcasts in the 1930s.
In 1949 C.B. DeMille celebrated the 35th anniversary of his film The Squaw Man. Theda Bara showed up for the the celebrations with DeMille, Jesse Lasky and some silent stars. I thought that was kind of her as she never made a picture with DeMille or Paramount. Her studio Fox was a Paramount competitor. A photo of the event:

www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/Enlarg ... ler=search

left to right: Arline Pretty, ????, Mae Murray, ??DeMille's wife Constance, Cecil DeMille, Jesse Lasky, Anita King, Theda Bara(fur coat on arm)

salus

PostFri Oct 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Very interesting pictures most of the actresses in the picture were born in the 1880 time period, many of the ones we know today were born at the turn of the century 1898-1902 period. Most of these were already in 1949 in their mid 60s.

jharvat

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 7:31 pm

I know I am resurrecting an extremely old thread here but I went onto Google Street view and Theda's home on Hutchins Avenue in Cincinnati seems to have disappeared between 2009 and 2011. Does anyone have any idea what happened to it? I wonder if it burned or if it was just torn down.

salus

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 9:25 pm

Would be nice to have a listing of the wills of the various silent film actors and actressses to see how much they were worth at the end and where did their papers and memorabilia go. I bet a lot of the lesser known stars had some gems we don't know about.

CoffeeDan

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 9:59 pm

jharvat wrote:I know I am resurrecting an extremely old thread here but I went onto Google Street view and Theda's home on Hutchins Avenue in Cincinnati seems to have disappeared between 2009 and 2011. Does anyone have any idea what happened to it? I wonder if it burned or if it was just torn down.

The building, which had been owned by Xavier University, had fallen into such disrepair that they couldn't afford to maintain it, and it was torn down in July of 2011. I found the following comment on Topix.com, which tells a little more of the story than I knew at the time:

This house was built by Theda Bara to use as a stopping point when she traveled from California to New York. She stayed here about 4 or 5 years before selling. It is not her birthplace, which is some miles away. While not a mansion by today's standards, it was large for its time. Xavier decorated it with photos of Bara and posters about who she was and her importance to film and social history. Students at Xavier always knew that it wasn't just "some old house." Anyone who requested tours was allowed through as long as they were accompanied and there were no classes in session. Many artifacts were saved from the home to be put into the new space for honors students, including the pictures and history. So even in the new space, the students will know who Theda Bara was. Xavier may use some of the Rookwood, etc in other new construction on campus to spread the history. Xavier loved the house along for 32 years, maintaining and repairing it. As you know, old houses are costly to maintain. In this day and age, it is very difficult to justify these expenses. With the economy as it is and the cost of higher education under attack, Xavier made the hard decision to put those dollars toward education and the students. It is good to see so many people interested in preserving our historic buildings.

jharvat

PostSat Jul 16, 2016 8:49 am

Hi Dan -

I knew that Theda's last home ended up as part of the the Xavier University campus. They torn it down (not sure if any artifacts were preserved). However, the home to which I am referring was the one her family lived in around 1900 (it shows in the 1900 census). Here is Google StreetView from 2009. Current images show an empty lot.

It was at 823 Hutchins in Cincinnati. The destruction of this as well as the Xavier property is almost unbelievable, given their historic value. I don't know that Cincinnati has any remaining vestiges of our native daughter. :(

Realitette

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 6:17 pm

I live in the home on 3561 Rosedale Place... the street name was changed to Harvey Ave. Not sure if it's the same home as the one called Harvey. It was built in 1990 and ready for living in 1991.

Return to Talking About Silents