Disabilities:Rondo Hatton;Herbert Marshall;Harold Russell...

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

JFK

Disabilities:Rondo Hatton;Herbert Marshall;Harold Russell...

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 8:14 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Marshall ........ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003339/

Herbert Marshall graced films directed by Lumet, Vidor, Sandrich, DeMille, Von Sternberg, Cukor, Preminger, and Huston, with scripts by such writers as Hellman, Sturges, Benchley, and Raphaelson… He acted in science fiction (Gog), two horror films (The Fly, The Unseen), two films by Hitchcock, two films by Lubitsch, two films by Wyler… And all of it was done on one leg, with a stunt man sometimes employed even for scenes requiring stair climbing… It is hard to think of any other amputees- save Harold Russell, James Stacy, and Sarah Bernhardt- who had substantial vintage film careers. Does anyone know if Mr. Marshall's disability was known to many outside the industry? There is no Marshall biography- (why the neglect? is he seen today as too stolid?)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by JFK on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 am, edited 15 times in total.

entredeuxguerres

Re: HERBERT MARSHALL

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 9:06 pm

JFK wrote: It is hard to think of any other amputees- save Harold Russell and James Stacy- having substantial film careers.

It is hard to think of any other amputees having so many love affairs; that together with his war record should make for a hell of a story.

JFK

James Stacy

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 2:12 am

..........A Swingin' Summer (1965)

...........ImageThe still-living James Stacy resumed an acting career in 1975,
following a 1973 accident in which he lost his arm and leg, and the life of his girlfriend,
after the motorcycle they were riding was hit by a drunk driver.
Last edited by JFK on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:10 am, edited 7 times in total.

JFK

James Barton's Nose

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 2:34 am

I'm guessing most everyone has seen at least one of his
Film/TV appearances, perhaps without realizing ...

"I remember another fabled Broadway star, James Barton, taking that same stage to sing "Waitin for the Robert E. Lee."
He could sing as well as Al Jolson, and that was the night that Bill Robinson, who was in the audience, got up and danced while Barton sang. James Barton is little remembered today, but he was an incredible artist. He wore a putty nose — his own nose had been eaten away by syphilis — and he used to do a comedy number about a drunk ..."
Last edited by JFK on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:04 am, edited 7 times in total.

JFK

Rondo Hatton & Disabilities On Screen

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 2:55 am

ImageImageImageImageImage
Before Rondo Hatton's film career kicked in, he was a publicity director for the Sun Haven Studios,
making one wonder if he met Buster Keaton, or promoted Keaton's aborted Florida feature.
Last edited by JFK on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:03 am, edited 6 times in total.

Richard Finegan

Harold Russell

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 4:18 am

JFK wrote:...It is hard to think of any other amputees- save Harold Russell and James Stacy- who have had substantial film careers.

Coincidence that you mention Harold Russell. I just visited him yesterday afternoon...well, his resting place - it's right next to that of some of my family. He was a long-time resident of my home town. So it's always a pleasure and honor when I visit the cemetery to pay respects to Harold and see that his stone and Veterans marker are kept neat and clean, along with that of my Dad.

I visited some friends later who were not very familiar with Harold Russell, so I and another friend spent some time explaining about Harold's famous movie role and other facts about him.
So what a nice surprise to come to NitrateVille this morning and see him mentioned.

By the way, thanks JFK for the recent tips on posting pictures here. Maybe I'll try it later with some photos I've taken of Harold's markers.

s.w.a.c.

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 am

Harold is a point of pride for film buffs in my neck of the woods, since he came from my home province, in North Sydney, before his family moved to Massachusetts (or "the Boston States" as they refer to it in Cape Breton). Exteriors for Johnny Belinda were filmed within a half-hour's drive of there, it's a beautiful part of the country (North Sydney itself, not so much). I think his childhood home there still stands, but I don't think there's been any commemoration of it. One of my best friends grew up around the corner from it.

There aren't too many Oscar winners or nominees from Nova Scotia, although Arthur Kennedy retired to a farm here and is buried in Annapolis Royal. Too bad I didn't have a chance to meet him before he passed away (Juno's Ellen Page would be the most recent).
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

bobfells

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 8:56 am

"Bart" Marshall, as he was called, is one of those ubiquitous stars who turns up in a surprising number of films in the 30s and 40s, always welcomed but not exactly sought after. I've heard that he had a rather difficult private life and not just due to the loss of his leg. However, he seems to have been well-liked by his colleagues and was a favorite substitute host on Lux Radio Theater when DeMille had to be elsewhere. Marshall also starred in quite a number of Lux shows, often playing parts that Leslie Howard and Ronald Colman had played in the film versions.

Here's a cigarette card that's been lying around the Arliss Archives for awhile:

mndean

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 9:16 am

bobfells wrote:"Bart" Marshall, as he was called, is one of those ubiquitous stars who turns up in a surprising number of films in the 30s and 40s, always welcomed but not exactly sought after. I've heard that he had a rather difficult private life and not just due to the loss of his leg. However, he seems to have been well-liked by his colleagues and was a favorite substitute host on Lux Radio Theater when DeMille had to be elsewhere. Marshall also starred in quite a number of Lux shows, often playing parts that Leslie Howard and Ronald Colman had played in the film versions.

He subbed for Jack Benny during the '40s and it turned into a riff on Jack's program, where the sponsor was thinking of replacing Jack with Marshall.

entredeuxguerres

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 10:48 am

bobfells wrote:"Bart" Marshall, as he was called, is one of those ubiquitous stars who turns up in a surprising number of films in the 30s and 40s, always welcomed but not exactly sought after. I've heard that he had a rather difficult private life and not just due to the loss of his leg. However, he seems to have been well-liked by his colleagues and was a favorite substitute host on Lux Radio Theater when DeMille had to be elsewhere. Marshall also starred in quite a number of Lux shows, often playing parts that Leslie Howard and Ronald Colman had played in the film versions.

Here's a cigarette card that's been lying around the Arliss Archives for awhile:

Interesting that the artist included that Chrysler Airflow look-alike--he was playing an auto designer, & the Airflow was the automotive sensation of 1934. Interesting also that he subbed for Colman, because his is almost the only voice I can think of with a charm to equal Colman's. His presence in this picture, otherwise hardly more than "another screw-ball comedy," raises it up several notches in my estimation.

With respect to his private life, enjoying the favors of Kay Francis, Miriam Hopkins, & Gloria Swanson, to name only some of the most prominent, doesn't seem too dreadful!

JFK

HAROLD RUSSELL

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Richard Finegan wrote: I visited some friends later who were not very familiar with Harold Russell, so I and another friend spent some time explaining about Harold's famous movie role and other facts about him.
So what a nice surprise to come to NitrateVille this morning and see him mentioned.

As some may know, Mr. Russell wrote a memoir, and signed copies still show up.
A Russell contract

Last edited by JFK on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

R Michael Pyle

PostMon Jul 16, 2012 5:48 am

entredeuxguerres wrote:
bobfells wrote:With respect to his private life, enjoying the favors of Kay Francis, Miriam Hopkins, & Gloria Swanson, to name only some of the most prominent, doesn't seem too dreadful!

His wife, British actress Edna Best, considered him a homewrecker, and was very distraught (according to Fay Wray) when he had the affair with Gloria Swanson. So were several others.

Richard Finegan

Re: HAROLD RUSSELL

PostMon Jul 16, 2012 6:20 am

JFK wrote:
Richard Finegan wrote: I visited some friends later who were not very familiar with Harold Russell, so I and another friend spent some time explaining about Harold's famous movie role and other facts about him.

AS SOME MAY KNOW, MR. RUSSELL WROTE A MEMOIR, AND COPIES HE SIGNED STILL SHOW UP

Yes, I have a copy of that book.

By the way, Harold's 1945 film DIARY OF A SERGEANT can be seen on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAYakCT4250

mndean

PostMon Jul 16, 2012 8:26 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:
entredeuxguerres wrote:
bobfells wrote:With respect to his private life, enjoying the favors of Kay Francis, Miriam Hopkins, & Gloria Swanson, to name only some of the most prominent, doesn't seem too dreadful!

His wife, British actress Edna Best, considered him a homewrecker, and was very distraught (according to Fay Wray) when he had the affair with Gloria Swanson. So were several others.

Gee, I thought "affair with Kay Francis" was a ticket one had to have punched in the "You are a Hollywood Star" book. They had to be "at her cervix" (to steal from Firesign Theater). :mrgreen:

JFK

SUSAN PETERS-Oscar Nominee

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Oscar-nominated, after her accident, she managed a film, a TV series, and radio and stage appearances ...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The News and Courier - Nov 8, 1942 ...... Louella Parsons- Actress Opposes Strong Drink Use
St. Petersburg Times - Nov 11, 1942 ...... Louella Parsons-Her Luck’s Too Good to Last, Susan Peters Feels
The Lewiston Daily Sun - Nov 8, 1943 ...... Actress Susan Peters Wed To Richard Quine
San Jose News - Apr 5, 1944 ...... Susan Peters Has Emergency Operation
The Milwaukee Journal - Apr 9, 1944 ...... Strictly Normal!
St. Petersburg Times - Dec 6, 1944 ...... Susan Peters Gave Herself 3 Years to Make Good
The Miami News - Jan 1, 1945 ...... Susan Peters, Film Actress, Wounded in Hunt Accident
San Jose News - Jan 2, 1945 ...... Susan Peters, Film Player, Is Wounded
Ellensburg Daily Record - Jan 2, 1945 ...... Susan Peters Is Accidentally Shot
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Jan 3, 1945 ...... Susan Peters Improves After Removal of bullet
Daytona Beach Morning Journal - Jan 9, 1945 ...... Susan Peters is Partly Paralyzed
The Deseret News - Jun 22, 1945 ...... Bob Thomas - Susan Peters, Given Up By Doctors. Walks Again
The Spokesman-Review - Dec 7, 1945 ...... Susan Peters’ Mother is Dead
The Deseret News - Jan 7, 1946 ...... Bob Thomas- Susan Peters Has 1st Night Out Since Mishap
The Deseret News - Apr 19, 1946 ...... Susan Peters and Spouse Adopt 10-Day-Old Son
The Montreal Gazette - Jun 20, 1947 ...... Susan Peters Seeks Child
Reading Eagle - Aug 21, 1947 ...... Bob Thomas- Susan Peters Finishes Movie; Plans Air Trip to South America
The Pittsburgh Press - Oct 14, 1947 ...... Susan Peters’ Son Makes Film Debut
Spokane Daily Chronicle - Sep 10, 1948 ...... Ex-Spokane Actress Susan Peters Cries as Divorce Granted
Toledo Blade - Jun 27, 1949 ...... Susan Peters Takes Stage in Wheelchair
Reading Eagle - Oct 30, 1949 ...... Susan Peters Here Tomorrow Evening
The Pittsburgh Press - Jan 15, 1950 ...... Susan Peters in “Barretts”
The Pittsburgh Press - Jan 24, 1950 ...... Susan Peters Impressive in “Barrerts” Revival
Lodi News-Sentinel - Oct 25, 1952 ...... Susan Peters Loses Will To Live, Dies
Reading Eagle - Oct 27, 1952 ...... Bob Thomas- Tragic Memories Recalled By Death of Susan Peters
Reading Eagle - Dec 10, 1952 ...... Susan Peters Wills Furniture to Ex-Mate
Spokane Chronicle - Mar 22, 1991 ...... Forgotten Star (with interview with her brother)

Richard Quine

The Milwaukee Sentinel - May 2, 1948 ...... It’s All Over
Ocala Star-Banner - Sep 16, 1960 ...... Richard Quine Says He Will Wed Kim Novak
Lakeland Ledger - Jun 13, 1989 ...... Director Quine Commits Suicide
Last edited by JFK on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bobfells

Re: SUSAN PETERS;HERBERT MARSHALL;HAROLD RUSSELL-Disabilitie

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 10:51 pm

If Susan Peters' life were a movie nobody would believe it. Even her ex-husband wound up a suicide. Tragedy with an attitude.

Rick Lanham

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 11:11 pm

Harold Russell's page on http://www.findagrave" target="_blank.
Some of the photos there can be enlarged by clicking on them:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... id=6182257" target="_blank

Rick

Marr&Colton

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 8:50 am

Was I the only one who noticed in the earlier posted picture of SUSAN PETERS--her amazing resemblance to Natalie Wood?

JFK

Louella Parsons on SUSAN PETERS' Appearance

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 11:08 am

Marr&Colton wrote: Was I the only one who noticed in the earlier posted picture of SUSAN PETERS--her amazing resemblance to Natalie Wood?

While one can lament the modern era of star/studio –controlled press junkets and puff-piece interviews
( which occasionally turn out ok, as can be seen here Esquire Michael Keaton 2014 interview ),
the reign of the big gossip/Hollywood columnist was much worse.
Consider the linked story below : a patronizing Louella Parsons article on the pre-accident Peters,
which begins with a light mocking of Peters’ teetotalling, and, in the excerpt I've included,
goes on to criticize - good manners be damned - her lovely interviewee’s looks.

St. Petersburg Times - Nov 11, 1942 ...... Louella Parsons-Her Luck’s Too Good to Last, Susan Peters Feels
The Peters child, who is so gorgeous, so really beautiful, as Kitty in "Random Harvest," is really not pretty off the screen.
But she is appealing and sweet. She weighs about 99 pounds, has large gray, expressive eyes, but she would
never win a beauty contest. She is like a little girl trying to play a grow-up.
"Mr. Thau is always telling everyone I am not very pretty but I have charm," she said

bobfells

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Supposedly, the stars feared Louella Parsons and Hedda Hopper but I've never seen an example of either of them writing something to make a person look bad. This 1942 column on Peters is closest I've come to see Louella kill somebody with "kindness."

Return to Talking About Talkies