Broken Hearts (1933) - anyone heard of it?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Brooksie

Broken Hearts (1933) - anyone heard of it?

PostTue Aug 14, 2012 6:58 pm

This film has a very bare entry on IMDb, listing Christy Cabanne as director and Helen Twelvetrees and Roger Pryor as stars, but that's the only evidence I've found that this film even existed - no mentions in trade magazines or yearbooks, not even a preliminary announcement for a film that was later canned.

Twelvetrees signed with Paramount in early 1933, but they loaned her out to Universal late that year. As Pryor was under contract there, the film - if indeed there is or was one - was probably a Universal production.

Has anyone got any further information? Is it in the AFI catalogue, for example? Possibly, it was an alternate title for King For A Night (1933).

drednm

Re: Broken Hearts (1933) - anyone heard of it?

PostTue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 pm

It's listed on IMDb as the first feature Roger Pryor made before Moonlight and Pretzels but there's no info on it and I've read elsewhere that Moonlight and Pretzels was Pryor's first feature.
Last edited by drednm on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

mndean

PostTue Aug 14, 2012 8:20 pm

There's no info on it anywhere I can find. It's IMDB, so you know the stunning accuracy of the information contained within. The most charitable scenario I can think of is this project was proposed, got into print somewhere, and was cancelled. Shouldn't get a listing for that. If we added every film talked up then dropped, why, IMDB would be well-nigh useless.

Hmmmm. :twisted:

Richard Finegan

PostTue Aug 14, 2012 11:43 pm

Brooksie wrote:This film has a very bare entry on IMDb, listing Christy Cabanne as director and Helen Twelvetrees and Roger Pryor as stars...

Has anyone got any further information? Is it in the AFI catalogue, for example? Possibly, it was an alternate title for King For A Night (1933).

No, it's not listed in the AFI Catalogue, not under titles or in the indexes of the three names mentioned.
And the entry in the book for KING FOR A NIGHT does not mention it as an alternate or working title.

R Michael Pyle

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Interesting, though, that the IMDb DOES have a run time of 72 minutes. Where would that have come from? Perhaps a very quick quickie, made by an indy, that still exists in a 16mm print?

mndean

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 12:36 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:Interesting, though, that the IMDb DOES have a run time of 72 minutes. Where would that have come from? Perhaps a very quick quickie, made by an indy, that still exists in a 16mm print?

It is Christy Cabanne, so not impossible, just highly unlikely. I have a hard time believing Helen Twelvetrees needed a quickie.

Brooksie

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 2:18 pm

At that point, Helen was either about to be dropped by Paramount or recently had been, so it is just possible that a cheap quickie could have been squeezed in - but only just. IMDb also lists Charles Hill Mailes, Charles Quigley and Frank Sheridan as cast members. I hadn't heard of any of them, and they all appear to be freelancers.

I'm as unwilling to trust IMDb as the next person, but there was just enough specific information in there to make me wonder. I'll keep checking the trades, but right now, I'm coming up with nothing whatsoever and suspect it's just some weird anomaly.

Jack Theakston

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Bogus entry... clearly someone having fun.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

mndean

PostWed Aug 15, 2012 6:59 pm

I'll add that there was a time it was not very difficult to get bogus material into IMDB (impossible to get it out, too), and this cast/crew list doesn't even have a producer so it smells fake to me. Cabanne would be a nice touch since he directed a lot of states rights productions, giving it plausibility.

silentfilm

PostMon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 am

I've submitted a request to delete the title, although there is no specific form to fill out to do this. We'll have to see if the IMDB editors respond.

Brooksie

PostMon Aug 20, 2012 4:48 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens, given that IMDb's response to this sort of thing can be quite inconsistent. Also a good demonstration of the way bad information can percolate across the internet with very little assistance - a Google search on the phrases 'broken hearts', 'helen twelvetrees' and 1933 brings up over 1000 results, and no doubt most of them will remain, regardless of any alterations made to Wikipedia or IMDb.

mndean

PostMon Aug 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Considering that IMDB rejected some of my credit repair for You'd Be Surprised (it's sort of fixed now, but Tom McGuire should be listed in the credits section), I don't hold out much hope. I send approximately one repair a year, and that's really more than they deserve.

drednm

PostMon Aug 20, 2012 7:04 pm

IMDb is very inconsistent in making corrections or updates. It took me months to make minor cast corrections to short films from the teens. I mean really. If someone bothers to make these sort of corrections, why the stall? It's a 2-minute change. And it's hugely unlikely someone would be trying to "corrupt" credits to an obscure film from 1919.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

silentfilm

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 8:33 am

I sent the IMDB editors a link to this page, and they have suspended the entry for this film. The data is still in their database, but it won't be available until someone can provide some credible evidence that this film really was produced.

Penfold

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 am

drednm wrote:IMDb is very inconsistent in making corrections or updates. It took me months to make minor cast corrections to short films from the teens. I mean really. If someone bothers to make these sort of corrections, why the stall? It's a 2-minute change. And it's hugely unlikely someone would be trying to "corrupt" credits to an obscure film from 1919.

About as unlikely as someone inventing a fictional film from 1933 ????
Speaking from experience; a few years ago a similarly fictional entry went up for a 1939 film directed by Michael Powell. A cast list of four, directed by Powell, that was the entire detail. No matter that there was no time for Powell to have directed it between the known films in his filmography, or that it didn't appear in any of his then filmographies or his autobiographies.
Long story short, a few months later I came across a reference to it in possibly the world's most obscure book on film, albeit by a famous writer; Rachel Low's British Films of Comment and Persuasion 1930-39. Following some leads, some googling, some guesswork and a heap of luck......I found a print of this 'fictional' film had been lurking unseen and unknown, in a filing cabinet in a basement of a Veterans charity since its Trade Show; a charity appeal film probably made over a long weekend at Denham.
My advice ??? You might be surprised.....yes, someone may have invented this film, or taken a press release at face value....but then again.....not every film that gets made, gets released.
I could use some digital restoration myself...

Brooksie

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 11:29 am

This is a fair point, and the reason that I didn't just dismiss the whole thing to start off with: it could be that someone has access to a much more obscure piece of information than I do.

What would be really helpful is if IMDb was able to provide a link to whatever verification the person provided to get the picture in the database in the first place - a sort of digital footnote. When correcting an entry, I always include a link or citation to them where I can, though presumably whoever submitted Broken Hearts didn't, if IMDb agreed to suspend the entry.

mndean

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Brooksie wrote:This is a fair point, and the reason that I didn't just dismiss the whole thing to start off with: it could be that someone has access to a much more obscure piece of information than I do.

What would be really helpful is if IMDb was able to provide a link to whatever verification the person provided to get the picture in the database in the first place - a sort of digital footnote. When correcting an entry, I always include a link or citation to them where I can, though presumably whoever submitted Broken Hearts didn't, if IMDb agreed to suspend the entry.

I'm pretty sure they want some kind of verification at IMDB now, at least for release dates. When I put in the corrected cast list for You'd Be Surprised, I couldn't include a frame grab so I just wrote Look At The Opening Credits. It mostly did the trick, though their stubbornness with regard to Tom McGuire doesn't convince me they really looked.

Return to Talking About Talkies