Gallery of Mastheads

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

MaryGH

Re: Gallery of Mastheads

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Love that masthead gallery it really is a great collection.

So with "The Adventures of Captain Marvel" recently released on Blu-ray (the timing could not be any better!) and Zach Levi in the upcoming starring role (2019) - will Captain Marvel, I mean, Tom Tyler make a masthead some time in 2018?

Never hurts to ask. :)
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 11:44 pm

It could happen... didn't think about Captain Marvel (and had just done a serial one).
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Daveismyhero

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 8:30 am

I'm sad that I didn't see this masthead the first time it appeared, but I'm very grateful to see it now! :D
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

Donald Binks

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 8:16 pm

I always like what Ivor Novello said about creating the script for the early talkie Tarzan pictures where he came up with "Me Tarzan, You Jane". He said it was the greatest drivel he'd ever written. :D I remember as a child we used to have competitions at school as to who could give the best impression of Johnny Weismuller's famous yell. Ah, yes, the things we did when young... At least the Elmo Lincoln picture didn't steer too far away from the original story - neither did "Greystoke", come to think of it.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Well, how odd. I wrote a post about this masthead and it vanished... never happened in the first ten years...

Well, anyway, the gist of it was that there are three legendary pulp fiction characters who have lasted to the 21st century, played by many actors and still putting out starring films in the 21st century— Dracula, Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan of the Apes. 100 years ago, Elmo Lincoln was the first one, with Enid Markey his Jane, and though many of us must have seen this on Blackhawk 8mm back in the day, it took till quite recently for the first discussion here of the film.

In any case, here's to one of the enduring fantasy figures of action cinema, in his debut.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

bobfells

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 10:58 am

A fine choice Mike. Some films and the stories they are based on will never be ranked as "classic," at least among those whose job seems to be making such rankings. But for everybody else some tales and their characters transcend their modest origins and continue to speak to us. Tarzan is surely one of those.
Previous

Return to Site Chat