Gallery of Mastheads

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Jim Roots

Re: Gallery of Mastheads

PostTue Nov 08, 2011 8:05 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Ah, I know what you mean now.

It's just a quirk of the image, visible in the original.

Wow! So there's two Men In the Moon!

And they're both eating green cheese, too!

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 pm

The holiday season is upon us, and who better to wish us the happiest of holidays than three of the most beloved figures of holiday commerce. From Ebenezer Scrooge, whose masterful manipulation of the markets and message of thrift ensures us all a joyously productive half day off at Christmas, to Mr. Potter, who has provided us all with affordable housing and alcoholic refreshment in Potterville (remember, half off selected shots every time a bell rings at Martini's, all through December), to Granville Sawyer, who ensures the safety of our young ones by only hiring sane, non-drinking Santas at Macy's, these men make the holidays better for all of us.

(Of course, we're really honoring three indelible character actors, Alastair Sim, Lionel Barrymore, and Porter Hall.)
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Christopher Jacobs

PostWed Nov 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Nice seasonal selection! And all three, amazingly enough, available in very nice Blu-ray editions (if not quite so spectacular visually as the WHITE CHRISTMAS Blu-ray)!

drednm

PostThu Dec 01, 2011 6:29 am

Alastair Sim....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Frederica

PostThu Dec 01, 2011 9:31 am

Mike Gebert wrote:The holiday season is upon us, and who better to wish us the happiest of holidays than three of the most beloved figures of holiday commerce. From Ebenezer Scrooge, whose masterful manipulation of the markets and message of thrift ensures us all a joyously productive half day off at Christmas, to Mr. Potter, who has provided us all with affordable housing and alcoholic refreshment in Potterville (remember, half off selected shots every time a bell rings at Martini's, all through December), to Granville Sawyer, who ensures the safety of our young ones by only hiring sane, non-drinking Santas at Macy's, these men make the holidays better for all of us.

(Of course, we're really honoring three indelible character actors, Alastair Sim, Lionel Barrymore, and Porter Hall.)

VERY COOL!
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

dr.giraud

PostThu Dec 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Frederica wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:The holiday season is upon us, and who better to wish us the happiest of holidays than three of the most beloved figures of holiday commerce. From Ebenezer Scrooge, whose masterful manipulation of the markets and message of thrift ensures us all a joyously productive half day off at Christmas, to Mr. Potter, who has provided us all with affordable housing and alcoholic refreshment in Potterville (remember, half off selected shots every time a bell rings at Martini's, all through December), to Granville Sawyer, who ensures the safety of our young ones by only hiring sane, non-drinking Santas at Macy's, these men make the holidays better for all of us.

VERY COOL!

This masthead made me laugh out loud.
dr. giraud

silentfilm

PostSat Dec 31, 2011 4:30 pm

It's a new year, so Officer Edgar Kennedy and Our Gang are on the prowl for new BluRay and DVD releases, as well as new classic film discoveries! Mike Gebert and the moderators at Nitrateville wish everybody a Happy 2012!

rudyfan

PostSat Dec 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Happy New Year to everyone and especially Mike and all the moderators who work tirelessly to make Nitrateville a great place to confab on film. Cheers!

Brooksie

PostSun Jan 01, 2012 7:12 pm

What she said! :D

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 pm

The reason for this month honoring Wings, one of the two movies which won an award roughly equal to Best Picture in the first Oscars (but promoted to solo status retrospectively in 1930), is pretty obvious— the release of a blu-ray which represents a rare example of a major studio honoring its silent legacy in unimpeachable fashion. (It's talked about here and elsewhere.) I was surprised that there weren't that many stills to choose from out there, but this one seemed nice, and the producers of the DVD must have agreed— it's the background for the menu on the disc. The stars depicted, of course, are Buddy Rogers, Clara Bow and Richard Arlen.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

LouieD

PostTue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Image
I was surprised that there weren't that many stills to choose from out there

Really??? I got a lot of them!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Someday it will be El Brendel month, Louie. Someday.

Let's just say on the internet, the number in which Bow's head is anywhere near the same level as Arlen's and Rogers' is not huge, whatever may exist out there in paper form.

boblipton

PostWed Feb 01, 2012 6:35 am

Who knew Al Joy would clean up that well?

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 01, 2012 6:44 am

Ha! Sadly, there's someone who really didn't leave many photos on the internet. It may be a while before Al is paid the tribute he deserves.

Agnes

PostThu Feb 02, 2012 3:18 pm

No question this was the perfect pic for February.

My pre-ordered Blu-Ray just came in. I am looking forward to watching it with the alternate score ( I was really hoping for something other than the organ score).
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

LongRider

PostFri Feb 10, 2012 9:58 pm

The more I look at this months masthead, the more I love it. Thanks so much for choosing this great photo!
Cheers,
Maureen

Jim Roots

PostTue Feb 14, 2012 7:16 am

LongRider wrote:The more I look at this months masthead, the more I love it. Thanks so much for choosing this great photo!

The more I look at it, the more I sense Clara being squeezed out of the picture.

Clara, come over here and let me squeeze you instead!

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Of course, one of the rules here is that we would absolutely never run a modern, 2011 movie in the masthead.

But in the fine print under that rule, it points out that we will definitely run any silent film which wins a Best Picture Oscar. And in fact, all we're really doing is running the two such winners back to back. The Academy may have had 84 years between them, but we don't. Last month it was Wings, now's here's to the miracle picture of 2011, the modern silent The Artist and its star, Jean Dujardin. We post it... wiz pleazher.

The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent
Would The Artist Have Won the '27 Oscars?
The Artist Wins!

Frederica

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Image

Of course, one of the rules here is that we would absolutely never run a modern, 2011 movie in the masthead.

But in the fine print under that rule, it points out that we will definitely run any silent film which wins a Best Picture Oscar. And in fact, all we're really doing is running the two such winners back to back. The Academy may have had 84 years between them, but we don't. Last month it was Wings, now's here's to the miracle picture of 2011, the modern silent The Artist and its star, Jean Dujardin. We post it... wiz pleazher.

Coolest. Masthead. Ever.
Fred
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery

LongRider

PostThu Mar 01, 2012 8:26 am

Wow! Now Jean Dujardin can add appearing on the masthead of Nitrateville to his list of achievements.

Me likey!

Thanks.
Cheers,
Maureen

Frederica

PostThu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 am

LongRider wrote:Wow! Now Jean Dujardin can add appearing on the masthead of Nitrateville to his list of achievements.

Me likey!

Thanks.

It pretty much is the cherry atop the whipped cream on the sundae of his achievements, isn't it?

I have but one, teensy, tinesy, itty bitty whine--was there no way to fit Uggie in there with him? I stress, it is but a teeny whine. It's still the coolest. masthead. ever.
Fred
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 01, 2012 11:06 am

Believe me, I thought about using one of him and Uggy at the breakfast table, but decided this was more thematic.

silentfilm

PostThu Mar 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Great idea and great masthead!

Danny Burk

PostThu Mar 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Love it - perfect timing too.

missdupont

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 9:19 am

Cool and beautiful.

CoffeeDan

PostSat Mar 03, 2012 12:29 am

Wonderful movie, wonderful masthead -- a fitting follow-up to WINGS from last month. Everything old is new again!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Since we were just talking Diana Wynyard in the One More River thread, I was motivated to find an image of this once-celebrated actress, star of a much esteemed early Oscar winner (Cavalcade) and the first British actress to earn an acting nomination. It wasn't quite so Bride of Dracula looking before I shrank it down (see a larger size here).

bobfells

PostSat Mar 31, 2012 11:21 pm

Beautiful photo, Mike. I think the darker background in the masthead gives Diana that Gloria Holden look. The original background is lighter and accentuates those fragile features a bit more.

silentfilm

PostSun Apr 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Rats, I was hoping for another over-the-top April Fool's day masthead!

Rick Lanham

PostSun Apr 01, 2012 1:11 pm

It's the wrong speed (should be 22 at least) and I'll have to play my own music... lol

I'm glad you linked to the full sized photo, as that is much better.

Rick
PreviousNext

Return to Site Chat