Lost 1955 Elvis Film

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

madlove

Lost 1955 Elvis Film

PostTue Apr 17, 2012 7:45 am

Hi All

My name is Chris Kennedy. I'm a researcher working with The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I thought I'd post here after scanning the forums and reading all the knowledgeable posts and replies.

On October 20, 1955, a concert was filmed at Brooklyn (Ohio) High School that featured deejays Bill Randle and Tommy Edwards, Bill Haley, the Four Lads, Priscilla Wright and Elvis Presley.

I've been investigating the concert and film, which has come to be known as "The Pied Piper," for eight years now and have debunked many of the myths that surround the event. It's long been rumored that the show was filmed but no footage has ever surfaced. I have made some discoveries along the way: http://rockhall.com/exhibits/1950s-radio-in-color/

Has anyone here ever heard of footage like this being in private hands?

It's possible that the film was a Universal project, since a Universal short director and cameraman were part of the crew, but it was most likely independently produced by Cleveland deejay Bill Randle.

I look forward to hearing thoughts and suggestions.

Chris K.
201-934-4581

Darren Nemeth

Re: Lost 1955 Elvis Film

PostFri Apr 20, 2012 5:40 pm

I've heard about these films also.

Elvis Presley authors, historians and, IIRC, Graceland came up to the conclusion that it is just a rumor perpetuated by the Pied Piper himself for publicity. I used to be really big into everything Elvis Presley but my info is about 8 years old or older.

Graceland can give your their definitive conclusion, however. They've been rounding up recordings and films of Elvis for years and got and made offers on lots of stuff but the people who say they have Pied Piper footage never presented it. Just hot air, IIRC.

It would be great to see it, if it does exist, though.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Return to Collecting and Preservation