transfering fire hazard to digital

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

emosun

transfering fire hazard to digital

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Hello

I know nothing about old nitrate film. however ... I did know enough that when I found 4 old film tins full of film to attempt to save them from being tossed out.

I could tell they are 35mm film footage of a silent film as the few frames i could see are of a title card of a speaking part.

From what I found 3 rusted tins contained film which looked like orange horribly smelling sand. these were beyond saving are were basically thrown away. However , 1 tin has two reels which look like they could be saved and aren't too bad. a TINY TINY amount of the orange dust was starting to form so it's now or never. There was also one totally loose coil of film not on a reel which looked ok as well. I wrapped these somewhat ok condition reels in a plastic bag (because they still smell horrible) and are stored in a cement room that is climate controlled

From what I've read these are a huge fire hazard and should be disposed of. however.... i would kill myself if i threw out missing footage of something rare like extra footage to nos feratu

I am a digital video editor and work in premiere and after effects. my plan was to use my old nikon d3200 and scan the film by simply taking 6000x4000 images of each frame in a controlled situation so every frame is captured identical. The film is really brittle so I don't think it will survive going through any kind of machine it will have to be done by hand I think.

But anyway i came here for ideas and comments on my situation and how i should proceed.

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: transfering fire hazard to digital

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi emosun,

Are the two reels sticky enough that the reels of film cannot be unraveled? Nitric oxide odor usually is the norm at this point of deterioration, but perhaps the film can still be transfered via Rank-Cintel scanners that doesn't rely on the sprockets to move the film as if it is transfered via a projector that may surely disintegrate it. Perhaps, you can post a frame or two on this blog for identification so you know what you have?

Some of these discoveries are just PURE LUCK! Earlier this year I purchased some nitrate on ebay that was simply a Pathe' news reel about how to do hair extensions and then again earlier this year I found a small portion of a lost film that came with a keystone home projector that I purchased, so you just never know. If you get the opportunity to have it identified via intertitles with a few still frames than it makes it a bit more exciting if you have really found a rare treasure.

Dana
Last edited by Hamilton's Grandson on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

Jack Theakston

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Where do you live?
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Brock Davis

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 am

I second what Hamilton said above. You don't want to do a ton of work, just to find out there is a beautiful restored version of the same film already available. Assuming it is something lost, maybe you could do what Silencebound has done in this post:
www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20753

Page 2 has video of how he scans in film on a normal office scanner. Looks like a ton of work, but he gets amazing results.

emosun

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 4:57 am

Hello all , sorry for my late reply but i had to sort of construct a method of capturing this film

I know it's not much to go off of but maybe someone knows what it is.

this is the reel of film that is totally loose with no spool or case.

emosun

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 5:01 am

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:Hi emosun,

Are the two reels sticky enough that the reels of film cannot be unraveled?

No these aren't sticky , just seem very brittle . like old thin sun dried plastic.

Jack Theakston wrote:Where do you live?

im from wisconsin

emosun

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 6:40 am

I took some quick shots of the title cards with my camera as I wound the film onto a cardboard spool

emosun

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 am

I googled around a bit and it MIGHT be a 1917 comedy short called "the wishbone" from "Black Diamond Comedies"

Hamilton's Grandson

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 9:31 am

The Wishbone 1917 was a single reel comedy with Leatrice Loy. ?

Check out : www.mymovietransfer.com under their 35 mm nitrate transfer process and you will see the stages of deterioration that they can still digitally transfer film.

oldposterho

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 1:02 pm

There's a chance it could be The Wish Bone, are there any hobos in what you can see?

The Wish Bone Black Diamond Comedy- April 16.- Box Car Bill and Journeying Jim roll into some town in a box car on a cold winter's day. They look out of the box car and see a beautiful chicken yard in the distance. They are chased by the farmer when they attempt to steal the chicken but they make their get away and build a roaring fire, over which they roast the juicy fowl. After their meal they fall asleep and his majesty appears from a cloud of smoke and says "you fellows have had hell enough on this earth, with the wish-bone of the chicken in your possession your every wish shall be granted." With the aid of the wish bone the fortunate tramps enjoy luxurious food, ride in beautiful cars and enjoy the coming of bewitching maidens, escaping from the police, several times by waving the magic wish bone. They do not proceed far
in one of their cars when they crash into a street car and the auto is badly wrecked. They decide that the auto is no good and wish that a dump cart were transformed into a car. Their wish is granted and they drive to the railroad yards, find all their brother hobos and invite them out for a ride. They have a hilarious time until the auto crashes into a telegraph pole. The scene then fades back to where they both fell asleep devouring the chicken and they wake up extremely frightened, throw the wishbone away and decide that it is no good.

emosun

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 2:44 pm

oldposterho wrote:There's a chance it could be The Wish Bone, are there any hobos in what you can see?

The Wish Bone Black Diamond Comedy- April 16.- Box Car Bill and Journeying Jim roll into some town in a box car on a cold winter's day. They look out of the box car and see a beautiful chicken yard in the distance. They are chased by the farmer when they attempt to steal the chicken but they make their get away and build a roaring fire, over which they roast the juicy fowl. After their meal they fall asleep and his majesty appears from a cloud of smoke and says "you fellows have had hell enough on this earth, with the wish-bone of the chicken in your possession your every wish shall be granted." With the aid of the wish bone the fortunate tramps enjoy luxurious food, ride in beautiful cars and enjoy the coming of bewitching maidens, escaping from the police, several times by waving the magic wish bone. They do not proceed far
in one of their cars when they crash into a street car and the auto is badly wrecked. They decide that the auto is no good and wish that a dump cart were transformed into a car. Their wish is granted and they drive to the railroad yards, find all their brother hobos and invite them out for a ride. They have a hilarious time until the auto crashes into a telegraph pole. The scene then fades back to where they both fell asleep devouring the chicken and they wake up extremely frightened, throw the wishbone away and decide that it is no good.

Wow that's cool. Where did you find all that info? I was having a tough time finding out anything about it.

oldposterho

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 3:03 pm

It's a review culled from the glory that is the Lantern Media History Digital Library:

http://www.mediahistoryproject.org/

The review is here:
http://archive.org/stream/motography17elec#page/802/mode/2up

Hamilton's Grandson

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi emosun,

I posted this am on imdb a photo of the two main hobo characters in The Wish Bone 1917 if you can compare to what you have.

Regards,

Dana

Valeyard

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 7:16 am

emosun wrote:I am a digital video editor and work in premiere and after effects. my plan was to use my old nikon d3200 and scan the film by simply taking 6000x4000 images of each frame in a controlled situation so every frame is captured identical. The film is really brittle so I don't think it will survive going through any kind of machine it will have to be done by hand I think.

But anyway i came here for ideas and comments on my situation and how i should proceed.

It'd be better to use a mono sensor than a bayer sensor, but that aside your plan should work fine. Of course take you a long time so I hope you set it up somewhere where you can leave it and come back to it. :)

Return to Collecting and Preservation