TANNED LEGS (1929)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Rob

Re: TANNED LEGS (1929)

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 1:14 am

I believe the first clip is from THE NIGHT PARADE (1929). The second is from HAPPY DAYS (1930).

Rob

entredeuxguerres

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 8:22 am

Rob wrote:I believe the first clip is from THE NIGHT PARADE (1929). The second is from HAPPY DAYS (1930).

Rob

Much obliged: two I'll endeavor to lay hands on...though surviving prints, judging by the clips on YT, are pretty far gone.

Hal Erickson

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 6:44 pm

TANNED LEGS was apparently a horrible experience for director Marshall Neilan, who never did entirely adapt to talkies. Some reports indicate that much of the film was directed by others, or at the very least extensively re-edited. Looking at his next film VAGABOND LOVER, one is tempted to believe this. For all its faults, TANNED LEGS at least tries to be cinematic, whereas VAGABOND LOVER looks like a DeForrest Phonofilm.
I'm not as down on Arthur Lake as others are in this thread; his "type" was not all that unusual in musical comedies of the era, and he IS supposed to be something of a nerd, else why would June Clyde prefer the slimy Edmund Burns to him? I agree that Ann Pennington's final number was wretchedly edited to make room for the plot, especially since it was so hard to tell Kearns and his phony henchmen apart.
June Clyde's career took an upswing after her marriage to director Thornton Freeland (though this might have been concidence). Her subsequent movie appearance are uneven, though she's a lot of fun in the Anglo-American FORBIDDEN MUSIC, but she did rather well on stage throughout the 30s and 40s.

entredeuxguerres

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 9:31 pm

Hal Erickson wrote:
June Clyde's career took an upswing after her marriage to director Thornton Freeland (though this might have been concidence). Her subsequent movie appearance are uneven, though she's a lot of fun in the Anglo-American FORBIDDEN MUSIC, but she did rather well on stage throughout the 30s and 40s.

I'd like to see more of her, but in most of her other pictures her parts appear to be small ones, judging by her billing in them. She's top billed in Thrill of Youth which I think I can get, though it's clearly a sub-Poverty Row production. Being forced to dance with Eddie Quillan in Hollywood Party is almost as degrading as her pairing with Lake. Will also look for Forbidden Music, though I'm apprehensive about a picture that dares to combine Richard Tauber with Jimmy Durante!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 4:58 am

Looks like FORBIDDEN MUSIC is on YouTube and is a shortened version of Walter Forde's LAND WITHOUT MUSIC. I found a copy of this years ago on one of those Public Domain discs (often with three films of dubious quality / condition) which I think companies gave away as part of a starter pack to dvd player purchasers. Have a feeling it was with the Duke Ellington BLACK AND TAN (1929) and THE FABULOUS DORSEYS. I usually like Forde's movies, but found this one a bit of a chore, possibly due to the abridgment. And I hadn't realised it was the same star when I saw TANNED LEGS recently. Guess she's a bit new to me.

westegg

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 3:08 pm

Where's FORBIDDEN MUSIC on YouTube? I looked, and also key worded June Clyde. Nothing!

:?

Ray Faiola

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 4:12 pm

entredeuxguerres wrote:
Rob wrote:I believe the first clip is from THE NIGHT PARADE (1929). The second is from HAPPY DAYS (1930).

Rob

Much obliged: two I'll endeavor to lay hands on...though surviving prints, judging by the clips on YT, are pretty far gone.

I have a mint 16mm print of THE NIGHT PARADE.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 4:19 pm

westegg wrote:Where's FORBIDDEN MUSIC on YouTube? I looked, and also key worded June Clyde. Nothing!

Just found this thread. FORBIDDEN MUSIC is still on YT, just key in title and 1936. Don't know if it's the same copy, but still pretty rubbishy quality.

entredeuxguerres

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 5:14 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
westegg wrote:Where's FORBIDDEN MUSIC on YouTube? I looked, and also key worded June Clyde. Nothing!

Just found this thread. FORBIDDEN MUSIC is still on YT, just key in title and 1936. Don't know if it's the same copy, but still pretty rubbishy quality.

The best part of this one is that rotating RED logo. Guess you could stick a piece of black tape over that part of the screen.

Harlowgold

PostSun Mar 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Dave Pitts wrote:Arthur Lake was weird, no two ways about it. But it's unique to base your career on being nerdish and ineffectual. He had the incredible luck to land the Blondie series, which ran for, I think, 13 years. Do not pass up a chance to see him in "Harold Teen" ('28), which I think is a L.o.C. preservation job -- it ran at Capitolfest a few years ago. Here's Lake as a dewy-eyed adolescent (I think he was already in his early 20s) and perfect for the part.
I saw Tanned Legs on AMC, back when the C in AMC meant something. I thought it was a bizarre production, an antique, but I liked one number the chorus girls performed, with mildly suggestive lyrics ("Come in the water, the water is fine!"), so I waited for a rebroadcast and taped just that number. It's the kind of feature that makes you realize how very, very distant we are from the entertainment styles of '29...and how visionary were the artists (Keaton, Ford, Hitchcock) whose early work needs no indulgence to hold an audience today.

Arthur Lake is not a conventional leading man but "weird" is a bit of an overstatement. A "nerd" perhaps but a rather endearing one. He's basically a comedian sold as an "actor" and sometimes badly cast early in his career. But he was perfection for Dagwood and he musta had something to be able to woo and wed Marion Davies' & Hearst's daughter, fifteen years his junior.

Back to TANNED LEGS, this is one of those films I recorded off TCM over a decade ago and have yet to completely watch, it doesn't look that promising from the snippets I've seen.

entredeuxguerres

PostSun Mar 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Harlowgold wrote:Arthur Lake is not a conventional leading man but "weird" is a bit of an overstatement...

An understatement, I'd call it; unless of course Dagwood is one's model of a leading man.

Stephen Butler

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 4:48 am

Hello: My name is Stephen Butler and I am researching film music and its development from the early days of sound. Only one small drawback: I am based in the UK. I know. I'm sorry about that. Still, it means that the availability of rarely-screened films from the studio archives is next to none. That's right: studios have put a block on these films - the vast majority of whose participants are long deceased - being screened outside the USA for whatever reason suits them. I have spent more than 10 years trying to get them to change their minds or at least explain why this policy exists. No dice.

Anyway, over that period of time, at my own considerable expense, I have imported TV Rips on DVD, Warner Archive DVDs (through a third party - they won't sell them to me directly) as and when they become available, some in questionable quality but no matter, at least I have them. It's taking a while. All I ask is this: every time you switch on TCM, look to the sky and say a small 'Hallelujah' to the Lord above in gratitude that you have access to the most wonderful film library in the world. Yes, we have TCM in the UK, but all it shows are the readily available classics such as Gone With the Wind and Casablanca, or rarities such as A Fish in the Bathtub (1999) starring Ben Stiller's father Jerry.

The reason I post all this off-topic nonsense here is to give you a lead up to my asking if anyone here still has a copy of THE DELIGHTFUL ROGUE (1929) which was mentioned earlier in this thread? If anyone can ship it to me on DVD to the UK I would be most grateful and will of course cover all expenses.

By the way, I tend to be a bit verbose.
Best wishes,
Stephen

Ray Faiola

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 4:57 am

I only have it in 16mm. I'm sure it's been run on TCM and someone will have a video copy.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

wingate

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 9:51 am

I have sent you a pm about the delightful rogue.

oldposterho

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 5:36 pm

This thread made me have a look at Tanned Legs and what impressed me was the Busby Berkeley-esqueness of some of the choreography, which made me wonder who did it? Seems it might be Pearl Eaton but nothing definitive. Does anybody know anything about her later murder? Couldn't dig up any details. I suppose this sort of dancing was the Broadway style of the day, and Ann Pennington maybe had a say in it as well?

One other interesting tidbit turned up, apparently George Seitz was the original director and it looks like he only lasted a week, which might explain things about the [lack of] direction for the film. Might have taken Marceline Day and Barry Norton with him, as they were apparently a part of the original cast.

moviepas

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 5:34 am

Last edited by silentfilm on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link

Duffo

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 6:32 am

Well just found this site about two hours ago ... was searching for information on Tanned Legs (1929). Had to join to give everyone interested a heads up on this film. It will be playing tomorrow morning ... Dec 12 Monday 6am on TCM ... East coast time and another really good film right after that with Douglas Fairbanks Jr and Ginger Rogers ... Having Wonderful Time (1938).

6:00 AM Tanned Legs
7:15 AM Having Wonderful Time

Have always been interested in earlier films and the actors ... also the pre-code films. Saw one earlier in the year that I had never heard of ... "The Sea Bat" (1930). Very interesting film on TCM.

There is a copy of Tanned Legs on YouTube ... run time 66:05 ... Tanned Legs (1929) - YouTube.

Waiting for two films to show again ... "The Narrow Corner" (1933) with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr and Patricia Ellis. Many interesting characters in that film ... also Patricia Ellis was supposed to be 19 yrs old in the film but had just turned 17 just before filming began or during the filming ... just not sure when filming started ... she had probably already turned 17 but the film seems to be pre-code ... near the end I guess of that era. I imagine just turning 17 yrs old and starring in a film with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr had to be exciting at that time in her life ... she was still 16 in May of 1933 and the film was released on 08 July 1933.

The other film I missed the last time it played ... "Miss Robin Crusoe" (1953) with a very young Amanda Blake and George Nader. George Nader was always a favorite of mine. TCM and IDMb do not agree on the release date ... TCM says 1953 and IDMb says 1954. It was not released right away after filming ... I posted this at the IMDb forum on Amanda Blake's actual age in the film.

"The film was actually shot in 1952 but not released till over a year later.

Production on the film is listed as having ended 14 Oct 1952 at Samuel Goldwyn Studios ... it was not released for actual viewing till November 1953.

So if all these dates are correct ... while "Miss Robin Crusoe" was being filmed in late Summer 1952 ... Amanda Blake was perhaps around 23 1/2 years old or just under 24 years old.

Production ending in October 1952 and not released till November 1953 ... another release date I have seen is Jan 01, 1954 ... but if this film was made in 1952 then she has to be at least 23 but under 24 years old."

Of course the different dates that I found here and there may not be correct.

So if you have never seen this very rare film ... hopefully TCM will play it again soon. It was shortly after this film was released that Amanda Blake was hired to be Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke ... so she was also a very young Miss Kitty at that time.

bradleyem

PostMon Dec 12, 2016 9:27 pm

Regarding the probability of Lloyd Hamilton being in TANNED LEGS ... multiple trade reports indicate his being signed by RKO for the film at the end of August 1929, after shooting began, to play the role of a detective, for which he has been credited in many sources despite not being in the surviving version.

I suspect he was never in the final release print at all ... otherwise, why would he not have been billed on screen? I don't think this was a matter of him being in the initial theatrical release and then disappearing. Neither the Variety nor Film Daily reviews list him in the cast, and he was still a big enough name to merit mention had he appeared, I think.

TANNED LEGS indeed had a difficult production history. Shooting began in July 1929 under the direction of George B. Seitz with a main cast that included Barry Norton, Marceline Day ... and Joel McCrea! But RKO was dissatisfied with "the lineup" (Variety's words) and shut things down until the film could be recast.

EDIT: Sorry ... didn't see post above about Seitz, et al.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Watching an extract from JAZZ HEAVEN (1929) the other week, a floor show high kicks it to 'Come in the Water, the ?Water is Fine' in similar vein to the dancers (the same?) in TANNED LEGS. Wonder which came first. The music is also used as background in FRAMED the following year...
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies