TCM Remembers 2017

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Rick Lanham

TCM Remembers 2017

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Last edited by silentfilm on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube embed
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

drednm

Re: TCM Remembers 2017

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA0-1QvnTA8" target="_blank[/youtube]

David Shepard was included. Wow.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Donald Binks

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Always so sad. Some names not so familiar - but the faces, oh yes.

Sir Roger Moore and Clifton James went the same year. The latter I shall never forget from "Live and Let Die" - "A secret agent! On who's side?"

Let us hope that the list is now final and not as was the case last year and I think the year before, it had to be revised due to a few more popping off.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

radiotelefonia

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Federico Luppi was included... he made great films in Argentina even though in his final years he turned into a nasty person.

William D. Ferry

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:07 pm

You can say this about any year, but we lost some good ones...

My first reaction was, "Oh no, him/her, too?" :(
Yours for bigger and better silents,

William D. Ferry
(Blackhawk Customer #0191462)

Red Bartlett

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 pm

These are always hard to watch. I'll hold off for now. Losing Robert Osborne once, was enough.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 10:14 am

Yup, tissues were required.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Battra92

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 12:59 pm

I lost it at Haruo Nakajima. I got to "meet" the man at a fan convention and when he'd talk (through a translator) he sounded so humbled by his participation in the Godzilla films and loved meeting fans.

George O'Brien

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Very Good.

Much better than recent years where the dead were honored in seconds long flashes in between lengthy shots of millenniels walking up stairs, across autumnal lawns, etc. Sad to see how many quality people left us this year. I'm glad they included the Russian actor who played the hero in "The Cranes Are Flying".
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

The Blackbird

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 6:30 am

So many cult tv/movie figures have gone lately: Patrick Macnee, Christopher Lee, Robert Vaughn, Richard Anderson, Martin Landau, Adam West, Roger Moore. I find myself worrying no end about the health of Sean Connery, Diana Rigg, Lee Majors, Tom Baker, William Shatner, Robert Conrad... :(

boblipton

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 6:40 am

And for me it was the deaths of three grandes dames: Danielle Darrieux, Michelle Morgan and Jeanne Moreau.

Bob
New and vigorous impulses seem to me to be at work in it,[the cinema] and doubtless before long it will drop all slavish copying of the stage and strike out along fresh paths. -- Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree

drednm

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 7:25 am

The Blackbird wrote:So many cult tv/movie figures have gone lately: Patrick Macnee, Christopher Lee, Robert Vaughn, Richard Anderson, Martin Landau, Adam West, Roger Moore. I find myself worrying no end about the health of Sean Connery, Diana Rigg, Lee Majors, Tom Baker, William Shatner, Robert Conrad... :(

Last I heard, Diana Rigg was headed for Broadway in a supporting role in anew production of "My Fair Lady."
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

boblipton

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 7:39 am

drednm wrote:
The Blackbird wrote:So many cult tv/movie figures have gone lately: Patrick Macnee, Christopher Lee, Robert Vaughn, Richard Anderson, Martin Landau, Adam West, Roger Moore. I find myself worrying no end about the health of Sean Connery, Diana Rigg, Lee Majors, Tom Baker, William Shatner, Robert Conrad... :(

Last I heard, Diana Rigg was headed for Broadway in a supporting role in anew production of "My Fair Lady."

Mrs. Higgins, I presume. In a leather catsuit?

Bob
New and vigorous impulses seem to me to be at work in it,[the cinema] and doubtless before long it will drop all slavish copying of the stage and strike out along fresh paths. -- Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree

moviepas

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 1:10 am

"The Cranes Are Flying".

I love my Laserdisc of this classic. Need to see a Blu Ray someday.

Red Bartlett

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Need to add Keely Smith, unless I missed it.

Vetiveronica

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 5:02 am

2017 TCM Remembers listings: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls027270028/

No Carrie Fisher. Would have been nice by her mother.

boblipton

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 5:04 am

Vetiveronica wrote:2017 TCM Remembers listings: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls027270028/" target="_blank

True, but died 27 December 2016.

Bob

Vetiveronica

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 5:33 am

Debbie Reynolds died the following day.

boblipton

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:06 am

So she did. I recalled it was immediately after; I forgot it was.... that quick. Well, I guess TCM s**wed up somewhere along the line. I imagine they got Miss Fisher into a revamped version of their 2016 "TCM Remembers" and not her mother, or didn't think her "classic" Hollywood or something. I don't quite remember the fillers I saw a year ago. Heck, I can't remember what I had for dinner three nights ago.

I suppose the omission indicates something about the corporate mentality of TCM. I agree, if they were going to show Miss Reynolds, a mother-daughter two-shot would have been night.

Bob

Harlowgold

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Was saddened to see them completely miss Juanita Quigley but then her death was not well publicized. I wish I had seen this soon I could have emailed them and hopefully they would have edited her in (it appeared there were slots for last minute editions). Of course it's too late now since it's only going to be airing for just a few more days. Juanita's films certainly have been on TCM far more than many of the people in this tribute, some of whom I must admit to not being familiar with. IMITATION OF LIFE and RIFFRAFF seem to play every six months (or did in the past - I no longer have TCM access) and she was one of the few 1930's players we still had around in 2017.

Mitch Farish

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 8:26 pm

The passing of Rose Marie is just the latest example of why TCM should wait until the new year to release its memorial tribute.

CoffeeDan

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Vetiveronica wrote:2017 TCM Remembers listings: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls027270028/

Carrie Fisher was an end-of-the-year addition to TCM Remembers 2016 (they added Zsa Zsa Gabor, too):

Vetiveronica

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 10:20 pm

CoffeeDan wrote:
Vetiveronica wrote:2017 TCM Remembers listings: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls027270028/" target="_blank

Carrie Fisher was an end-of-the-year addition to TCM Remembers 2016 (they added Zsa Zsa Gabor, too):

Thank you for making my point, CoffeeDan. We already knew that.

Debbie Reynolds died in 2016.

TCM Remembers should have added Debbie in 2016 or included Carrie with her mother in the 2017 TCM Remembers.

I think it would have been nice if TCM included Carrie Fisher with Debbie Reynolds.

That is my opinion. You may disagree. But you and boblipton are bullying.

I think it would have been nice,

fwtep

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 11:32 am

People who make a point that you don't agree with aren't automatically "bullying." I see no bullying at all on this thread.

Vetiveronica

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Debbie Reynolds died in 2016. Carrie Fisher died in 2016. Debbie Reynolds was included in the 2017 TCM Remembers.

I am not especially fond of either Debbie Reynolds or Carrie Fisher. I have seen Debbie Reynolds' films and 「Star Wars 」. Very enjoyable. In consideration of the daughter and mother dying within a day of each other and their participation on TCM, it would have been nice if TCM had 2017 TCM Remembers with each other as Debbie Reynolds was included in the 2017 memories.

Do you remember Carrie Fisher on 「The Essentials」and Debbie Reynolds' interview with Robert Osborne and TCM cruise? I do. If Robert Osborne was living, I feel he would have attended to this.

The attempts to disprove my feelings may not be bullying but are rude and impolite. boblipton was so intent on catching me out yet he was not aware Debbie Reynolds died the day after Carrie Fisher. In 2016. CoffeeDan thought it was important to add that Carrie Fisher was included in the 2016 TCM Remembers. We already knew that. This thread specifically pertains to 2017 TCM Remembers. It is better to ask why wasn't Debbie Reynolds included with her daughter in 2016. Or why was she included in 2017?

fwtep excuses boblipton and CoffeeDan. Are you a moderator? If it wasn't before, that does constitute bullying.

I have been a member of Nitrateville for four years. I regularly read the boards but seldom contribute because someone has already brought into conversation the item that came to mind or feel that my thoughts are not interesting or important enough to register in the discussion. Perhaps a moderator should point out that this is an international discussion board and there are standards.

If boblipton, CoffeeDan, and fwtep want to save face, they will sincerely apologize.

topchap

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 3:53 pm

'Tis the season for snowflakes. Happy New Year to all (especially those trying to "keep warm" [thanks, Groucho]).

boblipton

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Vetiveronica wrote:Debbie Reynolds died in 2016. Carrie Fisher died in 2016. Debbie Reynolds was included in the 2017 TCM Remembers.

I am not especially fond of either Debbie Reynolds or Carrie Fisher. I have seen Debbie Reynolds' films and 「Star Wars 」. Very enjoyable. In consideration of the daughter and mother dying within a day of each other and their participation on TCM, it would have been nice if TCM had 2017 TCM Remembers with each other as Debbie Reynolds was included in the 2017 memories.

Do you remember Carrie Fisher on 「The Essentials」and Debbie Reynolds' interview with Robert Osborne and TCM cruise? I do. If Robert Osborne was living, I feel he would have attended to this.

The attempts to disprove my feelings may not be bullying but are rude and impolite. boblipton was so intent on catching me out yet he was not aware Debbie Reynolds died the day after Carrie Fisher. In 2016. CoffeeDan thought it was important to add that Carrie Fisher was included in the 2016 TCM Remembers. We already knew that. This thread specifically pertains to 2017 TCM Remembers. It is better to ask why wasn't Debbie Reynolds included with her daughter in 2016. Or why was she included in 2017?

fwtep excuses boblipton and CoffeeDan. Are you a moderator? If it wasn't before, that does constitute bullying.

I have been a member of Nitrateville for four years. I regularly read the boards but seldom contribute because someone has already brought into conversation the item that came to mind or feel that my thoughts are not interesting or important enough to register in the discussion. Perhaps a moderator should point out that this is an international discussion board and there are standards.

If boblipton, CoffeeDan, and fwtep want to save face, they will sincerely apologize.

If I thought I had done something disrespectful, I would. as I did not. I shall not.

Bob

Danny Burk

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Vetiveronica: indeed we do have standards, and I see nothing here to think that our other members have gone beyond them. Nor do I see that they have said anything requiring an apology. We (the moderators) believe in using a light touch whenever possible - we are all adults here - but there is simply nothing that requires moderation in this thread. Polite disagreement or stating of facts is to be expected on a public forum. However, I'm posting now since you have specifically inquired about moderation, and to be perfectly honest, I am puzzled as to your reason to be offended.

Jim Roots

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 9:24 am

topchap wrote:'Tis the season for snowflakes. Happy New Year to all (especially those trying to "keep warm" [thanks, Groucho]).

It was Chaplin who said that to Groucho, not the other way around.

That being said, keep warm yourself, friend! :D

Jim,
whose Ottawa town is currently minus 27 Celsius with windchill factor.

JLNeibaur

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 5:22 pm

I keep track of celebrity passings (film, TV, music) and put together an article at the end of each year. This should be a complete list. If I missed anyone, please let me know, as I can go in and add.

Here is the link:

http://jln4151.wixsite.com/jlneibaur-wr ... LS-OF-2017" target="_blank
Next

Return to Silent News