Gallery of Mastheads

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

MaryGH

Re: Gallery of Mastheads

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Love that masthead gallery it really is a great collection.

So with "The Adventures of Captain Marvel" recently released on Blu-ray (the timing could not be any better!) and Zach Levi in the upcoming starring role (2019) - will Captain Marvel, I mean, Tom Tyler make a masthead some time in 2018?

Never hurts to ask. :)
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 11:44 pm

It could happen... didn't think about Captain Marvel (and had just done a serial one).
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Daveismyhero

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 8:30 am

I'm sad that I didn't see this masthead the first time it appeared, but I'm very grateful to see it now! :D
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

Donald Binks

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 8:16 pm

I always like what Ivor Novello said about creating the script for the early talkie Tarzan pictures where he came up with "Me Tarzan, You Jane". He said it was the greatest drivel he'd ever written. :D I remember as a child we used to have competitions at school as to who could give the best impression of Johnny Weismuller's famous yell. Ah, yes, the things we did when young... At least the Elmo Lincoln picture didn't steer too far away from the original story - neither did "Greystoke", come to think of it.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Well, how odd. I wrote a post about this masthead and it vanished... never happened in the first ten years...

Well, anyway, the gist of it was that there are three legendary pulp fiction characters who have lasted to the 21st century, played by many actors and still putting out starring films in the 21st century— Dracula, Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan of the Apes. 100 years ago, Elmo Lincoln was the first one, with Enid Markey his Jane, and though many of us must have seen this on Blackhawk 8mm back in the day, it took till quite recently for the first discussion here of the film.

In any case, here's to one of the enduring fantasy figures of action cinema, in his debut.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

bobfells

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 10:58 am

A fine choice Mike. Some films and the stories they are based on will never be ranked as "classic," at least among those whose job seems to be making such rankings. But for everybody else some tales and their characters transcend their modest origins and continue to speak to us. Tarzan is surely one of those.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 9:42 pm

For February, Myrna Loy: just because.

Brooksie

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 11:32 pm

There is never any other reason required for Myrna. She just is.

boblipton

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 5:31 am

I've seen silents, with men going gaga over other women, and ignoring Myrna and wondered when their blindness would clear up.

What’s the source for this picture, Mike?

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Rick Lanham

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Where's this photo from? A movie, a photo session?

I confess that I didn't recognize her.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

boblipton

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 2:00 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:Where's this photo from? A movie, a photo session?

Rick

You cad!

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Just a glamour shot, so far as I know. There was no indication of where it was from, where I found it.

Rick Lanham

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:Where's this photo from? A movie, a photo session?

Rick

I hadn't seen this image before, but I'd know those cheekbones anywhere!

Great picture. I love the tousled hair.
-- Charlie Morrow

rudyfan

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 10:01 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:For February, Myrna Loy: just because.

Nobody ever needs a reason! Love Myrna

Jim Roots

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 2:06 pm

I can't decide if she's emerging from the bedroom, or heading into it. In either case, I'm gonna follow her and see what happens.

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 11:31 pm

If you are of an age to remember the nostalgia craze of the 1970s, the fellow at the top of the page this month was ubiquitous—not just that his movies were common on TV, but that there were W.C. Fields for President buttons and Esco statuettes and comedy albums and a misbegotten bio movie with a miscast Rod Steiger and TV commercials and who knows what. His cynical, never give a sucker an even break attitude fit the era, and he seemed one of the figures of his time surest to last eternally in the popular mind. Yet just a few years later he has become a specialized taste; he was rarely popular with women (though his humor is never crude, just paints them as domineering harridans), perhaps that's why he seems to have fallen into a semi-obscurity, better known than Wheeler and Woolsey but less than Groucho and much less so than the Three Stooges. Maybe that's why I never found a reason to put him on the masthead in NitrateVille's first decade.

No matter; Kino is bringing us, at the end of this month, two of his silents, Running Wild and It's the Old Army Game. I don't remember how often we've discussed him, but this thread brought up one of his most indelible shorts recently.

Donald Binks

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Ah! Wunnerfull, Yes indeedy, thank you a thousand times....your mastheads look a lot better now that they bear a daguerreotype of the Great Man. It looks even better when seen from the bar. Matter of fact, I feel a mite gritty after the affairs of the day and am in need of some internal lubrication in order to ward off evil spirits.....

:D :D :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

boblipton

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 5:34 am

It must be five o'clock somewhere.

Bob
— Joe Darion

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 3:28 pm

It saddens me a little to think that The Great Man's star has dimmed a bit with the passage of time, but he'll always rank high in my personal pantheon of comedians. There are several of his films I could watch again any time, even though I can practically recite the punchlines before they're spoken.

Great choice for the masthead!
-- Charlie Morrow

Javier

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 8:23 pm

"so relentlessly pursued o'erial housetop and vice-versa,I have thwarted the malevolent machinations of our scurrilous enemies. In short..I have arrived!"
W.C Fields avoiding Creditors and landing on his abode via a window in the rooftop. From David Copperfield, (1935).
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Rick Lanham

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 pm

"Whilst travelling through the Andes mountains, we lost our corkscrew.
Had to live on food and water for several days!"

Donald Binks

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Oh! Drat! Don't know why I come in here. The flies get more than I do. Go on, go away, shoo!
Regards from
Donald Binks

JFK

Gallery of Mastheads

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 12:27 am

Last edited by JFK on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Roots

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 6:48 am

It's interesting that Fields was a hero to the young in the 1960s, yet his humour may be best appreciated by people over 50 or 60.

I was one who loved him when I was young in the '60s, but I find myself enjoying him even more in my own 60s. Somehow the nonsense he spouts hits home more and more, the older I get.

Jim

Donald Binks

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 am

The problem with people nowadays appreciating the Great Man is that we live in an overtly politically correct society where it would be impossible for anyone to say they liked him because of what he stood for or didn't stand for. (Even though most politicians seem to be incarnations of W.C. Fields in that they are liars, cheats and not unwilling to engage in chicanery.)

Drinking now is also frowned upon. One wonders how Foster Brooks would have got on with his act in today's clime?

It's such a pity that we have to temper good honest comedy with a view to not upset anyone.

I'm with Jim - as I grow older, I am becoming more like the Great Man. I grumble under my breath at almost everything and am loathe to give any sucker an even break. There's no chance in my games! :D (I can't drink as much as I used to though, alas...)
Regards from
Donald Binks

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 7:39 am

"There comes a tide in the affairs of men, my good Blubber, when we must take the bull by the tail - and face the situation!"

Daveismyhero

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 10:11 am

The Great Man looks like the mustached-version of Gene Hackman to me. :)

I wonder what Fields would have thought of Myrna Loy?

I have seen a couple of his films (The Fatal Glass of Beer and Never Give a Sucker an Even Break), and I have a couple more lounging on the ol' DVR. I'll watch one of them in his honor, and I'll make sure to have an appropriate beverage for toasting.
Last edited by Daveismyhero on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 am

Daveismyhero wrote:I'll watch one of them in his honor, and I'll make sure to have an appropriate beverage for toasting.

"Who put pineapple juice in my pineapple juice!!??

greta de groat

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 am

Jim Roots wrote:It's interesting that Fields was a hero to the young in the 1960s, yet his humour may be best appreciated by people over 50 or 60.

I was one who loved him when I was young in the '60s, but I find myself enjoying him even more in my own 60s. Somehow the nonsense he spouts hits home more and more, the older I get.

Jim

The people over 50 or 60 *are* the young of the 1960s!

And, yes, i do still love Fields. A lot has to do exposure, in the SF Bay Area his films and the Marx Bros. Paramount films were on constant rotation on TV and i saw them all many times. And i still recall many of his quotes, but not well enough to quote them myself. Which is too bad because a lot of times i'll think them apropos (same with Groucho). Oddly, i'm not that fond of his silents, they seem meaner and i miss his constant mumbling. And the mustache is disgusting.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat
PreviousNext

Return to Site Chat