TCM Remembers 2017

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

boblipton

Re: TCM Remembers 2017

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 5:26 pm

JLNeibaur wrote:I keep track of celebrity passings (film, TV, music) and put together an article at the end of each year. This should be a complete list. If I missed anyone, please let me know, as I can go in and add.

Here is the link:

http://jln4151.wixsite.com/jlneibaur-wr ... LS-OF-2017" target="_blank" target="_blank

Does Irwin Corey get two asterisks because at 102, he was the oldest to die?

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

JLNeibaur

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 pm

boblipton wrote:
JLNeibaur wrote:I keep track of celebrity passings (film, TV, music) and put together an article at the end of each year. This should be a complete list. If I missed anyone, please let me know, as I can go in and add.

Here is the link:

http://jln4151.wixsite.com/jlneibaur-wr ... LS-OF-2017" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Does Irwin Corey get two asterisks because at 102, he was the oldest to die?

Bob

Yeah, and I have one asterisk by the first celeb death reported in 2017 (who actually died in late '16 but not reported till the new year). Should've explained that.

JN

Donald Binks

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Jim,
whose Ottawa town is currently minus 27 Celsius with windchill factor.

One attempts to stifle a raucous guffaw, but fails - it is gunna be 41 here on Saturday! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Jim Roots

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 11:03 am

Donald Binks wrote:

One attempts to stifle a raucous guffaw, but fails - it is gunna be 41 here on Saturday! :D

Fahrenheit?

Jim,
now getting a big snowfall.

drednm

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 11:58 am

It's been MINUS here for a week. Fahrenheit.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Donald Binks

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:

Fahrenheit?

Jim,

No! Celsius! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Jim Roots

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:One attempts to stifle a raucous guffaw, but fails - it is gunna be 41 here on Saturday! :D

Fahrenheit?

Jim,

No! Celsius! :D

Not for me, then. I start to decompose at 15C. Love the cold!

Jim

BankofAmericasSweetheart

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Vetiveronica wrote:2017 TCM Remembers listings: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls027270028/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

No Carrie Fisher. Would have been nice by her mother.

I rarely post on here but I'm a big fan of Debbie Reynolds and her often overlooked contribution to the Hollywood preservation community. At the risk of sounding bitter or possibly offending people who work at the Academy, the Academy Awards decided probably ten years too late to award Miss Reynolds with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Oscar but at least it happened.... practically on her death bed... but it happened in 2016.

Anyway, I agree with you that they(Debbie and Carrie) should have been side-by-side in TCM Remembers 2017. TCM Remembers for the most part does a good job. Sorry, but one more jab at the Academy Awards, I would argue they(TCM Remembers) rival the Academy Awards In Memoriam segment which seems to arbitrarily omit people without a good explanation, most notably in 2006 with Teresa Wright who was nominated twice as Best Supporting Actress for The Little Foxes and Mrs. Miniver.

My theory on why Carrie and Debbie were not included together is just a guess but they didn't want to attach Debbie Reynolds to 2016 Remembers because they(TCM) felt she deserved more than a quick edit insert that would only air for two more days before the new year. Whereas with Carrie Fisher, and please correct me if I'm wrong her greatest contribution to the Hollywood film industry was in the Star Wars franchise, along with memorable supporting, but smaller roles in a few 1980s comedies so maybe the TCM staff felt it okay to quickly attach her in a last minute edited version of TCM Remembers 2016.

At any rate, here's what I think should have been done. Being that it was such a terribly unusual situation, TCM should have broke the rules a little bit just this once and included Carrie Fisher yet again for TCM Remembers 2017, along side her mother Debbie Reynolds. They could have just used the same clip of Carrie as they did for 2016 and just put it next to her mother. My reasoning for this is that they were shown together in every memorial segment that aired in the United States this past year with the exception of the Grammys in 2017.

Lastly, you're not wrong in your opinion and I'm sorry you are having trouble getting your voice heard in this forum. I often post threads on here or post replies that nobody responds to that I think are relevant. It is one of the main reasons I've stopped coming here since I got the impression that this community might intentionally be avoiding newbies or outsiders. Again, the moderators can correct me if I'm wrong but that's just the feeling I get sometimes on here. Just an FYI to the members on here who had no intention on alienating anyone.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. I am off the soap box so to speak and wish everyone a well 2018.
"It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talkies instead of the other way around." - MP

Danny Burk

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 10:22 pm

BankofAmericasSweetheart wrote:It is one of the main reasons I've stopped coming here since I got the impression that this community might intentionally be avoiding newbies or outsiders. Again, the moderators can correct me if I'm wrong but that's just the feeling I get sometimes on here.

Not at all - everyone is always welcome and encouraged to join the conversation.

boblipton

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 am

BankofAmericasSweetheart wrote:
Vetiveronica wrote:2017 TCM Remembers listings: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls027270028/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

No Carrie Fisher. Would have been nice by her mother.

I rarely post on here but I'm a big fan of Debbie Reynolds and her often overlooked contribution to the Hollywood preservation community. At the risk of sounding bitter or possibly offending people who work at the Academy, the Academy Awards decided probably ten years too late to award Miss Reynolds with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Oscar but at least it happened.... practically on her death bed... but it happened in 2016.

Anyway, I agree with you that they(Debbie and Carrie) should have been side-by-side in TCM Remembers 2017. TCM Remembers for the most part does a good job. Sorry, but one more jab at the Academy Awards, I would argue they(TCM Remembers) rival the Academy Awards In Memoriam segment which seems to arbitrarily omit people without a good explanation, most notably in 2006 with Teresa Wright who was nominated twice as Best Supporting Actress for The Little Foxes and Mrs. Miniver.

My theory on why Carrie and Debbie were not included together is just a guess but they didn't want to attach Debbie Reynolds to 2016 Remembers because they(TCM) felt she deserved more than a quick edit insert that would only air for two more days before the new year. Whereas with Carrie Fisher, and please correct me if I'm wrong her greatest contribution to the Hollywood film industry was in the Star Wars franchise, along with memorable supporting, but smaller roles in a few 1980s comedies so maybe the TCM staff felt it okay to quickly attach her in a last minute edited version of TCM Remembers 2016.

At any rate, here's what I think should have been done. Being that it was such a terribly unusual situation, TCM should have broke the rules a little bit just this once and included Carrie Fisher yet again for TCM Remembers 2017, along side her mother Debbie Reynolds. They could have just used the same clip of Carrie as they did for 2016 and just put it next to her mother. My reasoning for this is that they were shown together in every memorial segment that aired in the United States this past year with the exception of the Grammys in 2017.

Lastly, you're not wrong in your opinion and I'm sorry you are having trouble getting your voice heard in this forum. I often post threads on here or post replies that nobody responds to that I think are relevant. It is one of the main reasons I've stopped coming here since I got the impression that this community might intentionally be avoiding newbies or outsiders. Again, the moderators can correct me if I'm wrong but that's just the feeling I get sometimes on here. Just an FYI to the members on here who had no intention on alienating anyone.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. I am off the soap box so to speak and wish everyone a well 2018.

Good to see you. Wish you'd post more. Just because I rarely reply to you doesn't mean I don't read what you write and find it interesting. It simply means that you rarely raise any points I think needs expanding on.

My theory as to why they didn't include Debbie Reynolds in the 2016 TCM Remembers is timing. I expect that when Carrie Fisher died, there was just enough time to edit the reel before the end of the year. By the next day, when her mother died without any warning, a lot of personnel had left for the holidays and getting the clips from the library was viewed as too much of a problem.

I don't know how TCM determines its subjects. Quite obviously a lot of people in the film industry die every year, and there is a limited amount of time for the "in memoriam". As I remarked above, certainly they might have chosen a two-shot of her and her mother for Miss Reynolds, thus serving the interests of brevity and sentiment.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 am

I always thought it was odd that the Academy basically snubbed Debbie Reynolds for so many years ... probably because she was seen as a lightweight (comedy and music) and not a great dramatic star. Even her preservation work, when finally recognized, was after her costume collection had been sold. I think what finally spurred them to action was Reynolds' winning the SAG Lifetime Achievement award the year before. IMO, not well handled by the Academy.

The memorial salutes seem to come out earlier every year when there's no reason to release them in mid-December. They can't be THAT difficult to edit/update quickly when all they're doing is adding a photo or a few seconds of film.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:26 am

Donald Binks wrote:

You're making me nostalgic for this time last year, when I was down in SW Australia (Margaret River wine country area) and on the day we set aside to hike up the highest peak in the region -- Bluff Knoll in the Stirling Ranges, amazing to see them cropping up out of the outback -- the temperature was in the neighbourhood of 39 degrees Celsius. I thought my eyeballs were going to explode at some point halfway along the 3 km trail (the peak itself is about 1 km straight up), but somehow I did it. Thank goodness I had about 3 litres of water with me, those bottles were drained well before we reached the bottom again.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Jim Roots

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Why doesn't somebody simply ask TCM? Instead of making all these unsubstantiated speculations.

Jim

boblipton

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Why doesn't somebody simply ask TCM? Instead of making all these unsubstantiated speculations.

Jim

Then we’d have nothing to talk about.

Bob
— Joe Darion

Roseha

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 pm

Here is the link:

http://jln4151.wixsite.com/jlneibaur-wr ... LS-OF-2017" target="_blank" target="_blank

Sad to see all the lists of great artists who have passed away, thank you.

I believe Barbara Hale was not included though?
- Rosemary

Robert W

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 8:36 pm

The one that made me the saddest was Robert Osbourne, actually.

Debbie Reynolds is a close second - she was a huge (and welcome) live presence at many TCM Film Festival and TCM Cruise events, and sure knew how to work a crowd.
Previous

Return to Silent News