NY Post: Millennials don’t really care about classic movies

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Donald Binks

Re: NY Post: Millennials don’t really care about classic mov

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 6:43 pm

bigshot wrote:YouTube pays content creators for views. They don't pay for "likes". Who cares about likes?

Precisely. It is about as much use as a six inch piece of knotted string - same as all that balderdash that is Twitter - who's got time to read the drivel some nitwit goes on about - which reminds me - why is anybody reading what I have just written? :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

boblipton

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 6:45 pm

To see if you have saved me the trouble of writing it myself.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Jim Roots

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 am

Donald Binks wrote:
bigshot wrote:YouTube pays content creators for views. They don't pay for "likes". Who cares about likes?

Precisely. It is about as much use as a six inch piece of knotted string - same as all that balderdash that is Twitter - who's got time to read the drivel some nitwit goes on about - which reminds me - why is anybody reading what I have just written? :D

Sorry, Donald, I skipped your posting, so I can't reply to it.

Jim

wich2

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:58 am

The sky is not falling; in fact, this actually makes rough sense.

For Millennials today, the classic-era movies that many of us love are a good 75 years old...

So:

How many of we Boomers were big fans of pre-1900 films?

-Craig

boblipton

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:29 am

wich2 wrote:The sky is not falling; in fact, this actually makes rough sense.

For Millennials today, the classic-era movies that many of us love are a good 75 years old...

So:

-Craig

I am!

Bob

-- Avram Davidson

Dean Thompson

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 am

boblipton wrote:
wich2 wrote:The sky is not falling; in fact, this actually makes rough sense.

So:

-Craig

I am!

Bob

Same here. I caught a few Lumiere snippets on PBS when I was twelve, and I was hooked! It was only a matter of time before I secured a Blackhawk catalogue and began cutting grass to save up for Great Train Robbery and other films close to that millennium.

Scar Face

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:53 am

As a 30 year old I've never met anyone from my generation who knows anything about 1930s films or likely even seen one. Once I was walking on St. Mark's and I happen to wearing my James Cagney shirt. This black dude about my age was like "hey James Cagney? I know what it is!". Blew my mind

bigshot

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 2:24 pm

When I was a kid I read 100 year old books and listened to old music.

wich2

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Yes, I did too.

But -

- how much?

Too much "Hey you kids - get off my lawn!" in some of these threads. WE hated that tunnel-visioned attitude back then; and we should not fall into the trap ourselves, now.

-Craig

bigshot

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Perhaps it's best to just focus on quality and not age.

westegg

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 am

When I was growing up I could care less how old anything was--I read or watched it anyway. I always had a sense of history.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 5:25 pm

wich2 wrote:How many of we Boomers were big fans of pre-1900 films?

Roundhay Garden Scene was always a big hit with me and my friends.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

wich2

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 am

bigshot wrote:Perhaps it's best to just focus on quality and not age.

Big, that's pretty much how I've always rolled...

WHEN something was created means less than nothing to me; HOW it was done, is everything.

Smari1989

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 12:34 pm

As I've said before in this thread, nowadays I tend to share the view that it's only natural that youngsters of today, as a general rule, may care more about things of their own era than the stuff of the past... For that matter, anyone who's watched a few movies or heard a few radio shows from, say, the 1930s may have noticed that most things also at that time tended to "age" surprisingly fast in the public mindset... Just look at how films of the 30s would mock silent films, or how helplessly OLD Jack Benny's Maxwell car was supposed to be even though it was really "only" from the 1920s.

That said, speaking purely from my own personal point of view, I still find it a bit odd, if nothing else, that so many youngsters (or people at all, really) seem so disinterested in older things. I mean, I'm only in my late 20s, but ever since I was a kid I've surely been very CURIOUS about the past; what did things look like? How did people behave? Were their similarities to ourselves more striking than their differences or the other way around? I really can't identify with people who flatly state that they find books, films or TV series set in the past to be "boring," yet I've encountered people with just that opinion quite a lot. Thankfully, at least some of my peers also possess an interest in the past, if not to the same "extreme" level as I do.
My WEBCOMIC, Ticklish Town: http://www.ticklishtown.com

Mitch Farish

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 pm

It's not Millennials; most Boomers who were born after the advent of widescreen and no B&W, have no interest in vintage movies. It makes us special, but also a small (call it select) number.
Last edited by Mitch Farish on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Roots

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Mitch Farish wrote:It's not Millennials; most Boomers who were born after the advent widescreen and no B&W, have no interest in vintage movies. It makes us special, but also a small (call it select) number.

Spiro Agnew would have called us an effete elite!

(Bonus points to any millennial who can identify Spiro Agnew without googling it.)

Jim

Dean Thompson

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

At least we (well, some of us, anyway) are not "nattering nabobs of negativism."

(For forty-five years I've wondered: how did Agnew come up with such phrases?)

boblipton

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Dean Thompson wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

At least we (well, some of us, anyway) are not "nattering nabobs of negativism."

(For forty-five years I've wondered: how did he come up with such phrases?)

William Safire wrote it for him.

Bob

-- Avram Davidson

Donald Binks

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:53 pm

It is easy to sum up why millin, millem, millom...those born in the 2000's have a narrow focus.Have a look at the rooms in houses these days. There are such names as "parent's retreat" - "rumpus rooms". Families don't seem to get together and share in entertainment as they did in days of yore. Everyone seems to go their separate ways.

I think a lot of us on this august forum are a bit like Benjamin Button in a way. Where everyone else seems to be continually going forward (as the current expression alludes), a lot of us are shunting backwards with considerable speed. :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

westegg

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 3:24 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
wich2 wrote:How many of we Boomers were big fans of pre-1900 films?

Roundhay Garden Scene was always a big hit with me and my friends.

Yes, same here. It stands up to repeat viewing to catch things not noticed before!

NotSoSilent

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Mitch Farish wrote:It's not Millennials...

I agree. Over the holidays I had family members in their mid-forties whining when somebody wanted to watch a Christmas movie from the 30's or 40's. "No, it's black and white!" How does that disqualify it from being a good or entertaining film? I don't get it. Additionally, I take my mother to a silent film festival each year and her co-workers, mainly women close to retirement age, always give her a hard time about it. The strange thing is most (if not all) of them have never seen a silent film, yet they have a strong opinion about it.

It would certainly be great to grow the fan base of early cinema, but minds will have to open first.

Donald Binks

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 4:34 pm

NotSoSilent wrote: The strange thing is most (if not all) of them have never seen a silent film, yet they have a strong opinion about it.

It has always intrigued me that the ones most vocal in opposition to something are the ones who know least about the subject.
Regards from
Donald Binks

Changsham

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 am

With so much access to all kinds of films, TV shows, documentaries and so on these days it not surprising old films are under appreciated. I find I am overwhelmed with content and choices available with anything made in the past decade for starters. Many times I am recommended I should watch this or that latest great film or documentary. Sorry, there just is not enough time. Millennials interested in old stuff have more than several generations of content to catch up with before they get to silents.

oldposterho

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 8:32 am

Changsham wrote:Millennials interested in old stuff have more than several generations of content to catch up with before they get to silents.

Totally agree with this, but would add it's not just millennials with this problem. I've got 'recent releases' from 4 years ago I still haven't gotten around to, I can't imagine having 90 years of cinema to plow through before you even get to the silents. Lucky for us geezers we've had a head start.

Mitch Farish

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 8:35 am

I think the way cinema is viewed by everybody is the inevitable result of home video, which has made so much past cinema available to the public, but has also turned cinema into a non-event. You can have it wherever and whenever you want it. It's a consumable that's not particularly special. Lots of people don't seem to mind watching an image that will fit on a phone or a tablet. I've asked some people about this, and they don't seem to care about artistry, cinematography, etc. But I have hope that there will always be a small but significant segment of film fans that will care about those things. After all, the great operas of the 19th century continue to be performed, and people still listen to classical music.
Last edited by Mitch Farish on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maliejandra

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 8:25 am

Donald Binks wrote:Have a look at the rooms in houses these days. There are such names as "parent's retreat" - "rumpus rooms". Families don't seem to get together and share in entertainment as they did in days of yore. Everyone seems to go their separate ways.

As a modern parent I would have to disagree with you strongly there. While a modern family might recognize a need for separate space and privacy, it is also much more cooperative and involved than the family of the boomer generation which had clearly defined roles and lines that could not be crossed. My dad could never sit down and have a discussion with his father, even about something as simple as music which polarized them greatly. His mother loved Elvis and therefore Elvis was banned from the house, as was the 70s hippie music the kids listened to. His father was the commander and, "What he says goes." Being in the same room has no bearing on whether a family is a cohesive unit.

Mitch, I had a discussion with someone at work the other day about going to the movies and she said she never goes. "It's too expensive and anyway it will come out on video in a few months and I can just wait." For some people the experience of watching a movie with a large audience means nothing.

bigshot

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 12:03 pm

You can get the whole family together at the dinner table and it can still be the same as being in different rooms. You'd have to confiscate all the cell phones to avoid that, and that is bound to create dissent.

I don't go to movies any more. I built a projection room in my home and I invite an audience of friends over to see movies with me. Much better than being herded in pens in mall theater queues and fighting for a good parking place! The best part is if a friend pulls out his cell phone in the middle of the movie, I can smack him!

Jim Roots

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 1:18 pm

maliejandra wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:Have a look at the rooms in houses these days. There are such names as "parent's retreat" - "rumpus rooms". Families don't seem to get together and share in entertainment as they did in days of yore. Everyone seems to go their separate ways.

As a modern parent I would have to disagree with you strongly there. While a modern family might recognize a need for separate space and privacy, it is also much more cooperative and involved than the family of the boomer generation which had clearly defined roles and lines that could not be crossed. My dad could never sit down and have a discussion with his father, even about something as simple as music which polarized them greatly. His mother loved Elvis and therefore Elvis was banned from the house, as was the 70s hippie music the kids listened to. His father was the commander and, "What he says goes." Being in the same room has no bearing on whether a family is a cohesive unit.

Mitch, I had a discussion with someone at work the other day about going to the movies and she said she never goes. "It's too expensive and anyway it will come out on video in a few months and I can just wait." For some people the experience of watching a movie with a large audience means nothing.

In response to your last point, I would note that nowadays many of the blockbuster movies come out on video at the same time they reach the theatres!

As for Donald's point, I feel that is impossible to discuss because every family is different. Think of all the young families living in condos that consist of open concept rooms (kitchen, dining room, living room with no walls between them). The age factor is another one that makes discussion useless; my kids used to join my wife and me to watch Saturday movies when they were little, but now they're all in their twenties and have lives of their own (and no longer enjoy Mom and Dad's taste in movies) and in fact the living room can no longer physically accommodate all six of us at the same time because we all be growed-up now, dude. But we all get together for dinner with long, lively conversations every day.

Jim

Smari1989

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 pm

I think there's truth both to Donald Binks' and Milejandra's perspectives, actually. On the one hand, yes, it's true that entertainment as a general rule has become much more "specialized" in recent decades, especially with the advent of the Web -- compare this to when the whole family, presumably, would gather at 7 PM each Sunday for the Jack Benny program on the radio... BUT on the other hand, I share Maliejandra's impression that there seems to be less of a "gap" between children and their parents nowadays (esp. with young parents) as far as cultural references are concerned, than what was typically the case in earlier times... I know parents who are now in their 40s/50s who mostly share the same tastes in music as their kids (Radiohead, Bowie, etc), but I find it hard to believe that many parents who grew up on Bing Crosby'd find much merit in Elvis in the 50s... (I'm sure there were some, but...). My own father is in his mid-80s (got me fairly late in life) and while we chat easily about quite a lot of things, I suspect that's partly because I happen to be somewhat a-typical for people of my age, into very "old" stuff, classical music, etc.

In sum, I think you can make a good argument either way. ;)
My WEBCOMIC, Ticklish Town: http://www.ticklishtown.com

Jim Roots

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Smari, there are postings scattered throughout NitrateVille in which people your Dad's age vilify rap and/or hip-hop, just the same way their own fathers slagged the Beatles because they weren't Frank Sinatra, and their grandfathers slagged Sinatra because he wasn't Rudy Vallee.

There are a few artists who transcend the generations, and you accurately mentioned Bowie (I turned my son onto Bowie three years ago!) The Beatles and, depending on the case, the Ramones are two others. Yes, the Ramones ... as long as you like real, fun, energetic rock'n'roll.

This Christmas I gave my son CDs of Marvin Gaye, Yes, and Mitch Ryder. We both idolize Lou Reed and a long-forgotten Canadian prog band called FM.

Jim
PreviousNext

Return to Talkie News