R. I. P., "Baby Marie" Osborne, 99

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

DShepFilm

R. I. P., "Baby Marie" Osborne, 99

PostMon Nov 15, 2010 11:46 am

Obituary via Jean-Jacques Jura, her friend:

Marie Osborne Yeats, one of the first child stars of the silent screen, the celebrated “Baby Marie,” passed away, Thursday, November 11, 2010 in San Clemente, California. Born Helen Alice Myres, November 5, 1911, Marie was a native of Denver, Colorado. Her foster parents, Leon and Edyth Osborn(e), introduced their daughter to the movies when they left Colorado in 1914 to work at the Balboa Studios of Long Beach, California. Baby Marie appeared for the first time on screen in Maid of the Wild (1915), playing the part of a small boy. At Balboa, the famous director, Henry King, launched Marie’s stardom with Little Mary Sunshine (1916), and most of Marie’s ten movies at Balboa co-starred Henry King. From age three to eight, Baby Marie made 28 films and most of these movies were produced at her own studio called the Diando Studios, the former Kalem movie studio in Glendale.
By age 12, Marie had left the movie screen, only to return in her twenties with the help of Henry King for his film Caroline (1934). At Fox, Marie also did stand-in work for Ginger Rogers in Change of Heart (1934) and also appeared in the Gay Divorcée (1934); she later did stand-in work for Deanna Durbin. At Paramount, Marie did stand-in work for Betty Hutton. Marie would stop working before the camera altogether as she developed a new talent as a costumer, beginning with the Western Costume Company, then with Republic.

Her work as a costumer included these films: Guys and Dolls (1955) with Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons; This Earth is Mine (1959) with Rock Hudson and Jean Simmons; Spartacus (1960) with Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier, and Jean Simmons; Circus World (1964) with John Wayne and Rita Hayworth; The Chase (1966) with Jane Fonda and Robert Redford; The Legend of Lylah Clare (1968) with Kim Novak and Peter Finch; The Way We Were (1973) with Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford; Mame (1974) with Lucille Ball and Bea Arthur, and many others, including The Godfather, Part II, as well as becoming special costumer for Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra (1963).

Marie married twice, to Frank J. Dempsey on May 2, 1931, whom she divorced in 1937. Dempsey was the father of Marie’s only child, Joan, born May 13, 1932. In the 1940s, Marie married Murray F. Yeats on June 14, 1945, a fellow actor with whom she enjoyed a conjugal life till his death on January 27, 1975.

After her retirement, Marie moved to San Clemente in 1977 until her death with her daughter, Joan, and son-in-law Don Young.

Baby Marie always savored the moment, exhibiting a kind and responsible tenderness toward those around her: family, friends, and all living things, including her special appreciation of the animal world. In order of importance, Marie was most grateful for her Roman Catholicism, for her excellent health throughout her full and interesting life, for her cherished daughter, Joan, and for the beauty of nature.

Marie is survived by her loving daughter Joan and son-in-law, Don Young, and their five children, Mark, Gary, Brian, Joyce, and Karen.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Viewing: 11am-8pm
Rosary: 7pm
Lesneski Mortuary
640 S. El Camino Real
San Clemente, CA 92672
(949)492-1717
105 N. La Esperanza
San Clemente, CA 92672
(949)492-4101
Burial: 12noon
Mission San Luis Rey
4050 Mission Ave.
Oceanside, CA 92057
(760)757-3651 Ext.133

(Note: "Little Mary Sunshine" has been preserved in 35mm by Lobster Films, Paris).

salus

PostMon Nov 15, 2010 4:43 pm

May Eternal Light Shine Upon Her and May Her Soul and The Souls of All the Faithful Departed Rest In Peace!!

salus

PostMon Nov 15, 2010 4:46 pm

The book is now closed on all of the stars,actors and actresses and others who appeared in the silent film era of the 1910s!!

FrankFay

PostMon Nov 15, 2010 5:49 pm

"Marie married twice, to Frank J. Dempsey on May 2, 1931, whom she divorced in 1937. Dempsey was the father of Marie’s only child, Joan, born May 13, 1932. In the 1940s, Marie married Murray F. Yeats on June 14, 1945, a fellow actor with whom she enjoyed a conjugal life till his death on January 27, 1975. "

I find that last line to be peculiar- is it some sort of circumlocution for "They stayed married and lived together"? It almost suggests that their married life was a 30-year sex romp.
Eric Stott

PhilipS

PostMon Nov 15, 2010 7:14 pm

salus wrote:The book is now closed on all of the stars,actors and actresses and others who appeared in the silent film era of the 1910s!!

Aren't Mickey Moore and Jack Totheroh still alive?

skyvue

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 5:27 pm

FrankFay wrote:I find that last line to be peculiar- is it some sort of circumlocution for "They stayed married and lived together"? It almost suggests that their married life was a 30-year sex romp.

Isn't every marriage a 30-year-sex romp? That's what I'd been led to believe, though I'm only three years into mine.

Conjugal just means of "relating to the married state." The word "marital" could have just easily been used, without changing the meaning.
Cladrite Radio: Toe-tapping Tunes of the 1920s, '30s and '40s
http://www.cladriteradio.com

silentfilm

The Telegraph: 'Baby' Marie Osborne

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 9:25 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... borne.html

Film Obituaries

'Baby' Marie Osborne
'Baby' Marie Osborne, who died on November 11 aged 99, was an early child star of silent films and a favourite with First World War audiences; she made her film debut aged three, and soon appeared as the lead in almost 30 pictures, including her most memorable title, Little Mary Sunshine.
Her fame was, however, short-lived. By the time of her 10th birthday her career was almost over and her fortune dissipated. "I set the trend for virtually every other child star that followed," she said almost 90 years later.

Helen Alice Myres was born in Denver, Colorado, on November 5 1911, and at the age of three months became the foster daughter of Leon and Edith Osborn (the "e" was a later addition). At the suggestion of her foster mother, her name was changed to Marie.

The Osborns left Denver for Long Beach, California, in 1914, and soon found jobs acting with the Balboa Amusement Company. Unable to afford a babysitter, Leon and Edith took Marie with them to the studio, where she came to the attention of the director Henry King.

King had wanted to cast a male toddler in Maid of the Wild (1915), but liked Marie's bob hairstyle, and guessed that, with the right wardrobe, she could easily pass for a boy. Soon recognising that he had a potential star on his hands, King urged Balboa to put her under contract.

Later, under his supervision, King had Little Mary Sunshine (1916) especially written for her. The film, which King directed, tells the story of an infant who is suddenly orphaned and taken in by the parents of a man who has been ditched by his fiancée. The scenes starring Baby Marie, as she was billed, remain the film's most engaging, and made her a star.

Together King and Marie produced a series of successful films, including Joy and the Dragon and Shadows and Sunshine (both 1916), Told at Twilight (1917) and The Locked Heart (1918). The child was well paid for her efforts. "I couldn't quite understand all the attention being paid me," she recalled. "I was earning $300 a week when the average American was making less than $1,000 per year."

Such was her success that, in 1917, Leon and Edith Osborn formed their own production company, Lasalida, and released a string of Baby Marie pictures. In 1918-19, at the height of her popularity, a merchandising deal with a New York toy manufacturer saw Baby Marie Osborne dolls on Christmas wish lists for little girls across the globe.

By 1920 she owned three vast properties in the Hancock Park area of Los Angeles, and was driven about town by a dapper chauffeur in a 1907 Hudson.

But her star then began to wane in the face of competition from younger, cuter girls. Baby Marie travelled America to re-engage with her once loyal audience, but the tour did little to reactivate her flagging career. By the time she entered her teens, she had retired.

What happened to the money remained a mystery to Marie Osborne. "I was the first of Hollywood's washed-up child stars. There was a trust fund, but I never seemed to have received anything from it," she recalled. "My foster parents lived a gilded life."

In 1931 she married a businessman, Frank Dempsey, but when their marriage foundered she was obliged to look for work. "I wrote to Henry King," she remembered. "He was very gracious, and quickly aided me in joining the newly formed Screen Actors' Guild." Marie Osborne then appeared in numerous films, often as a stand-in for the likes of Ginger Rogers, Deanna Durbin and Betty Hutton. The Dempseys divorced in 1937.

She met the actor Murray Yeats, who became her second husband, while serving at the Hollywood Canteen during the Second World War.

Postwar she found work in the ladies' department at the Western Costume Company, later moving to Twentieth Century Fox as assistant costumier, then costume supervisor, for actors including Marlon Brando, John Wayne, Rita Hayworth, Rock Hudson, Robert Redford and Elizabeth Taylor. She retired in 1976. Yeats had died the previous year.

Marie Osborne is survived by a daughter of her first marriage. Of the dozens of films she made, only four complete titles have been preserved.

rogerskarsten

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 pm

The following films featuring Marie Osborne are listed in the FIAF database:

1. BABY MARIE'S ROUND UP Bertram, William United States of America 1919
bfi/National Film and Television Archive (London) [GBB]

2. CAPTAIN KIDDO Moore, Eugene United States of America 1917
Library of Congress (Washington) [USW]

3. CUPID BY PROXY Bertram, William United States of America 1918
Archives du Film du CNC (Bois d'Arcy) [FRB]

4. DADDY NUMBER TWO United States of America 1919

5. DAUGHTER OF THE WEST, A Bertram, William United States of America 1918

6. JOY AND THE DRAGON King, Henry United States of America 1916
Instituto Valenciano de Cinematografia (Valencia) [ESV]; bfi/National Film and Television Archive (London) [GBB]

7. LITTLE MARY SUNSHINE King, Henry United States of America 1916
Archives du Film du CNC (Bois d'Arcy) [FRB]; Lobster Films (Paris) [FRL]

8. LITTLE PATRIOT, A Bertram, William United States of America 1917 bfi/National Film and Television Archive (London) [GBB]

9. MAID OF THE WILD United States of America 1915
Library of Congress (Washington) [USW]; Cinémathèque Française (Paris) [FRC]

10. OLD MAID'S BABY, THE Bertram, William United States of America 1919
Cinémathèque Suisse (Lausanne) [CHL]

11. SHOULD A WIFE FORGIVE? United States of America 1915

12. SUNSHINE AND GOLD King, Henry United States of America 1917
National Archives of Canada (Ottawa) [CAO]; Cinémathèque Française (Paris) [FRC]

13. TOLD AT TWILIGHT King, Henry United States of America 1917
Museum of Modern Art (New York) [USM]

14. TWIN KIDDIES King, Henry United States of America 1917
Archives du Film du CNC (Bois d'Arcy) [FRB]; Cinémathèque Française (Paris) [FRC]

15. VOICE OF DESTINY, THE Bertram, William United States of America 1918

That's fifteen out of the twenty-nine films that "Baby Marie" made during the silent era -- just over fifty percent!*

~Roger

* Inclusion of a title in this database does not guarantee its availability nor completeness. Users should contact individual archives for more information.

sepiatone

PostWed Nov 17, 2010 7:32 am

RIP 'Baby' Marie Osborne.

sepiatone

PostWed Nov 17, 2010 7:44 am

Baby Marie's entry at the Findagrave site

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=61742842

Scatter

PostWed Nov 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Very sad...............RIP.

salus

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Whats sad about it she lived a longggg and happy life with family and a film career, we should be all soo sad.

Scatter

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 6:24 pm

The loss of yet another of the last living links to that era.

thomas_gladysz

PostFri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 am

Some additional perspective on this child actress, once known as the “Baby
Bernhardt,” can be found at

http://www.examiner.com/silent-movie-in ... -at-age-99

Also, for some nifty scans, check out

http://sfsilentfilmfestival.blogspot.co ... cisco.html

And the NPR story can be heard at

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =131424005
For the latest, check out the LOUISE BROOKS SOCIETY blog
http://louisebrookssociety.blogspot.com/

wildhoney66

PostSun Nov 28, 2010 12:57 am

i didn't know she passed away. 99 i think is a pretty good age to go at ya know? i don't think i saw any of her films, but than i may be wrong on that. at least there are Silent actors & actress still around such as

Mickey Rooney who just turned 90 back in September.

Return to Silent News