New Look

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Jim Roots

Re: New Look

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

The italics function is weird. With the old look, you would click on the italics icon, type in the word(s), then click again on the icon to stop italicizing. In the new look, you are not permitted to do this unless you want the commands to be printed in your text or unless you want double italicization in the edit (which of course cancel each other out). Instead, you have to type the word in regular font, then go back and highlight it and click on the icon.

Seems an odd little annoyance, though I'm sure I'll get used to it.

And ... okay, I know I'm being a pain on this topic, but ... can something be done about all the g.d. white space? Can you add some backdrop, some fancy graphics, some mock pillars as sidebars, anything to relieve this relentless whiteness?

Jim

CoffeeDan

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 10:28 am

Does "View active topics" work? I've tried several times with several settings, but nothing comes up.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 10:39 am

The developer is working on fixing the Internet Explorer bug so it will look like other browsers, which all look like this at worst, white spacewise. A normal thread, where posts are longer, has less white space. This does not seem objectionable to me.

PhpBB3 changed how the buttons worked a little bit, but not in a bad way, just different. There are two ways to italicize (or bold or whatever):

1. Type your text.
2. Highlight it.
3. Click the button and it will place code at both ends of what's highlighted. (PhpBB2 worked the exact same way.)

Or...

1. Click button. Both codes appear, removing necessity to click button a second time to close tag.
2. Type within the codes. When you're done with what you want to italicize, move your pointer outside the coded text to continue typing uncoded.

The third way, of course, which I use sometimes, is simply to type the code yourself, it's easy enough to type bracket-i-bracket and bracket-slash-i-bracket.

Dan is right, View Active Topics seems disconnected. I'll mention that to him.

So anyway, the developer is working on these minor fixits:

1) IE bug that puts white space next to avatar
2) Default so links open a new browser window, leaving NitrateVille page open behind
3) Probably new set of icons entirely, to improve visual distinction, and I'm just not wild about the scratchy lines anyway
4) Getting jump to first unread post functionality back (that is, it still exists in a three step process, but I think there ought to be a way to make it two step, ie, you click on View Unread Posts on the main page, then are able to jump directly to the first unread post from the results page, rather than having to go to the thread, then jump to unread post).
5) Photos now automatically resize to site's maximum width, but need to make links do it too.

I'll add View Active Topics to that.
If you truly love film, I think the healthiest thing to do is not read books on the subject. I prefer the glossy film magazines with their big colour photos and gossip columns, or the National Enquirer. Such vulgarity is healthy and safe. —Werner Herzog

silentfilm

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 am

I don't want to add to your long to-do list, but didn't we lost the Felix the Cat icon that was in the URL window?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 11:03 am

Oh yeah, I'll have to see if I even have that, and figure out how to put it back...
If you truly love film, I think the healthiest thing to do is not read books on the subject. I prefer the glossy film magazines with their big colour photos and gossip columns, or the National Enquirer. Such vulgarity is healthy and safe. —Werner Herzog

Harlett O'Dowd

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 11:04 am

silentfilm wrote:I don't want to add to your long to-do list, but didn't we lost the Felix the Cat icon that was in the URL window?

I have Felix in IE8, but that may be cached.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 11:13 am

I found it, thanks.

Jim Reid

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 1:52 pm

My experience is pretty much the same as noted. When I use IE I get the white space, Firefox, no white space.
I mostly use IE anyway. The white space doesn't bug me that much, and the way I use the forum works better on IE. I hit the unread posts link, click the first topic and then the first unread post link. Then I back out and the topic I just read is no longer on the list. With Firefox, it's still there.

silentfilm

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 pm

CNTRL-F5 in Firefox will force the browser to clear the cached page in memory and display it again.

Danny Burk

PostMon Jul 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Or, right-click and choose "Reload".

Jim Roots

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 6:29 am

Jim Reid wrote:My experience is pretty much the same as noted. When I use IE I get the white space, Firefox, no white space.

Maybe I should clarify my own use of the term "white space". I'm not generally referring to the insertion of extra lines of blank white that happens in IE. I'm referring to the sheer emptiness of the pages that occur even in Firefox.

Example: the width is wall-to-wall white space. No sidebars. This means every posting has a default width of nearly 12 inches (including the avatar part).

Vertically, even a one-line posting is set in a box more than 3 inches in length. I do understand that the avatar is partially responsible for this, but in the old format a one-liner didn't extend more than an inch and a half, even including an avatar.

Right now, as I type this, the writing-box is maybe 20 lines long, 9.5 inches wide, with the emoticons making a 2-inch-square sidebar. Above this box is nothing more than the topic header and the subject line ... meaning, about an inch and a half of nearly empty space above the box. Below the box is the "submit/preview/save draft" line, and 4 of the Options ... meaning, about 2 and a quarter inches of nearly empty space below the box.

So that's why I would really prefer some kind of decoration sidebars or anything to reduce the width of the printed line, and a vertical compression to reduce the empty space lengthwise.

Jim

Changsham

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 6:45 am

Any chance of putting sprocket holes down both sides of the pages?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 8:46 am

Okay, here's a progress report:

1) The Internet Explorer/whitespace until below the avatar bug is said to be fixed. I have no way of checking this myself, so IE users, does it look better?

2) When you go to the View Unread Posts page, there's a little icon next to the thread title, looks like a page with the corner turned down. Click on that, not the thread title, and you'll go straight to the first unread post in that thread. That's two steps instead of three.

3) Links now force a new window to open.

4) Active topics, he says: I think its an issue with search index, right now I'm running reindexing script on your forum that will probably take few hours to reindex everything. It might solve issue. If it won't, I'll dig more to figure out what's causing it.

5) Felix the Cat is back as the favicon.

Still working on the icons, and I had suggested one way to possibly reduce the height of the left column with the avatar picture, but that doesn't look like it's going to work. I'd like to get that down a little, though, even if I don't entirely agree that the white space is all that bad. Still, it is less compact than it used to be vertically, and if there's a way to tighten it up, that would be fine by me. As far as being compact horizontally, I deliberately went to a fixed width this time to solve the recurring problem of threads stretching to accommodate giant pictures and messing up readability. I think this is better than shrinking and expanding with different threads.

Jim Reid

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 am

Problem 1 is definately fixed for me using IE.

FrankFay

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 10:45 am

Where's the button to unsubscribe from threads? There are a few I'm getting tired of.
Eric Stott

Jim Roots

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Changsham wrote:Any chance of putting sprocket holes down both sides of the pages?

What a great idea!

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Where's the button to unsubscribe from threads? There are a few I'm getting tired of

It's between your ears. You just have to ignore them.

CoffeeDan

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm

FrankFay wrote:Where's the button to unsubscribe from threads? There are a few I'm getting tired of.

There's a link to unsubscribe at the bottom of your email notifications.

Daniel Eagan

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Is there a way to adjust the screen resolution? The old board pages fit into my browser window. These don't.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, or one that's been asked before, or one that has a simple solution etc.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 9:22 pm

It's sized on the assumption that 1024 pixels wide would be the smallest screen resolution in use. (It's somewhat less than that.)

As you can see by this chart, most computers are set to at least that large, sorry...

Nick_M

PostWed Jul 27, 2011 2:40 am

Daniel Eagan wrote:Is there a way to adjust the screen resolution?

Try CTRL+scrollwheel. Playing around with font size may help, too.

CoffeeDan

PostWed Jul 27, 2011 7:14 am

The link problem hasn't been completely fixed. While links in the body of each post do open new windows (thanks, Mike), the links in the signature area -- the ones that open members' websites -- still open in the same window.

Daniel Eagan

PostThu Jul 28, 2011 7:10 am

Nick_M wrote:
Daniel Eagan wrote:Is there a way to adjust the screen resolution?

Try CTRL+scrollwheel. Playing around with font size may help, too.

I am just as tech ignorant as I feared. Thank you for the tip, sorry for the in retrospect idiotic question. No problem with the site, only with my approach to it.

boblipton

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 5:43 am

After all the kvetching:

I like the cans of film and clapperboards a lot.

Bob
“Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.” — James Thurber

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 8:35 am

Good, I'm glad. I agreed a bit with the comment that the look didn't "say" movies so much, but I think those (which the developer found and tweaked a little for our purposes) do a nice job of giving the site a little more individual personality.

Hopefully the fact that this thread is trailing off means that people are finding that the new system works pretty well and the opening-day problems have been resolved.

Frederica

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 9:13 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Good, I'm glad. I agreed a bit with the comment that the look didn't "say" movies so much, but I think those (which the developer found and tweaked a little for our purposes) do a nice job of giving the site a little more individual personality.

Hopefully the fact that this thread is trailing off means that people are finding that the new system works pretty well and the opening-day problems have been resolved.

I'm loving the "unread posts" combined with the little thingie that you click and it takes you to the latest post.
Fred
"She jerked away from me like a startled fawn might, if I had a startled fawn and it jerked away from me."
Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister
http://www.nitanaldi.com
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp

Rick Lanham

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 10:47 am

I love the "cans of film" change.

I almost was ready to complain that the old way of using the color red
was a little hard to see, and now it's been fixed in an elegant way.

Rick

BankofAmericasSweetheart

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 6:46 pm

The new version works just fine with me but I'm on a mac so I'm not sure if its any different on PCs. I'm not quite sure what everybody is complaining about.
"It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talkies instead of the other way around." - MP

Michael O'Regan

PostSat Jul 30, 2011 2:31 am

BankofAmericasSweetheart wrote: I'm not quite sure what everybody is complaining about.

Me neither.
:shock:

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Jul 30, 2011 7:45 am

They're not any more; the IE bug is fixed.
PreviousNext

Return to Site Chat