Searching for Pieces

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
  • Author

Andrew Greene

Searching for Pieces

PostSat Jan 07, 2012 10:34 am

All,

I'm searching for the following pieces of music to be used in a silent film:
The Wooden Soldier (1906, Copyright Witmark & sons) by John W. Bratton
Mignonette (1922, Copyright Boston Music Co) by Domenico Savino
and Frozen Bill (?, Copyright Carl Fisher) by Arthur Pryor.

All of them are for 11-and-piano small orchestra. If anyone has these pieces, please contact me at info@peacherineragtime.com. I'm willing to trade or pay for photocopies.

Thanks,
A
Andrew Greene
Founder & Director, Peacherine Ragtime Society Orchestra
http://www.peacherineragtime.com

Rodney

Re: Searching for Pieces

PostMon Jan 09, 2012 7:50 am

I don't have these, I'm afraid... I've got three Mignonettes and a Mignardaise, but they're by other composers (Henry Hadley, Rudolf Friml, Ralph Jackson, and Th. Lack, respectively), so I'm sorry about that.

The University of North Texas collection contains five "Mignonettes," and only one overlaps with my little bouquet, but none are by Savino. So there must have been at least eight compositions with that title. The size of the repertoire continually impresses me.

Apparently mignonettes are a kind of flower. If my French etymology is accurate, it'd be a cute one.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Jack Theakston

PostMon Jan 09, 2012 12:16 pm

National Library of Australia has "Wooden Soldier" with parts. Pryor's "Frozen Bill Rag" (1909, sometimes "Frozen Bill Cake-Walk") is as the University of Colorado at Boulder.
J. Theakston
Capitol Theatre, Rome, NY
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Frederica

PostMon Jan 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Rodney wrote:Apparently mignonettes are a kind of flower. If my French etymology is accurate, it'd be a cute one.

Or lettuce. But cute lettuce.
Fred
"She jerked away from me like a startled fawn might, if I had a startled fawn and it jerked away from me."
Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister
http://www.nitanaldi.com
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp

Rodney

PostMon Jan 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Jack Theakston wrote:National Library of Australia has "Wooden Soldier" with parts. Pryor's "Frozen Bill Rag" (1909, sometimes "Frozen Bill Cake-Walk") is as the University of Colorado at Boulder.

Well, that's my local University, so I'm embarrassed I didn't see it there! It's just the piano music, though, unless there's another entry I'm not seeing. The piano sheet music is easier to get online as a PDF at the U of Mississippi (click on "Access this Item"). I see that mp3's of Frozen Bill seem to be all over the net. There's a band arrangement as a pdf here, where it looks like someone scanned the original winds and brass parts (but no piano/conductor or strings), then added new parts for piccolo and horns for a wind band, and that would get you more parts...
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Return to Music For Silents