Max Linder films.

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
  • Author

eqlipse

Max Linder films.

PostSun Jan 22, 2012 7:34 am

Gentlemen, we are working on a documentary about Max Linder and we are in the research process.

We are looking for Film or PAL/NTSC, VHS, DVD, Betacam, U-Matic, D-Video or HD quality masters of Linder's shorts to add to out doc. Specially lost ones, of course, you never know. We have to ask.

You'll be credited in the film, of course.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Eqlipse PC SL
Zanzibar Prods.

Jim Roots

Re: Max Linder films.

PostSun Jan 22, 2012 10:11 am

You should contact Jack Hardy at Grapevine VIdeos. He put out a compilation of Linder shorts many years ago -- something like 15 or 20 of them on one tape. I just re-watched it a couple of months ago (after first viewing it 15 or more years ago), and they still play like a charm in VHS format.

Jim

boblipton

PostSun Jan 22, 2012 2:38 pm

There is an individual who has some off-the-tracks Linder who posts them to Youtube as notremaxnational. Also, a few months ago, there was a very early Linder from about 1906 called LE PENDU that showed up at a MOMA screening a few months ago. I believe it was from a Dutch archives. Nitratevillains Steve Massa or Ben Model might be able to help you with the last.

Bob
“Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.” — James Thurber

silentfilm

PostSun Jan 22, 2012 10:39 pm

David Shepard has a few Linder films in his library, like Troubles of a Grass Widower.

pookybear

PostMon Jan 23, 2012 4:36 am

http://www.maxlinder.de/startenglish.htm no reason to rebuild the wheel, has a page on what remains and
where it is located too. Just check the "prints page"

I have one title on 28mm film but it is only a part of a film, which is known to be complete somewhere else. So can
not be of any help on footage. Sorry.

pookybear

eqlipse

PostMon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for the info, please feel free to add more anytime. We'll check your suggestions. Kind regards.

eqlipse

Re: Max Linder films. (SOUND?)

PostTue Jan 24, 2012 2:39 am

Hello again, I have another question for you.

Have you noticed any recorded sound of Max Linder's voice?

I have been told that in Europe or more probably in United States he was interviewed for local ratio stations and some of those recordings have survived.

Any idea about where/who to start asking? Any suggestions? Thanks again in advance.

Jonathan

PostTue Jan 24, 2012 5:02 am

While not impossible, it would be extraordinarily fortunate if even one Linder broadcast survives as I understand there are very few radio recordings extant from 1925 and even less from previous years. This site documents the earliest known recordings. You could try contacting some of the organizations and individuals credited at the bottom of the article.

As for the films, as you may know, many Linder shorts were released on the early (from 1911/12) and now very rare non-theatrical 28mm format. Martyn Stevens has reproduced the original 28mm catalogues (including plot descriptions) and transferred some Linder titles (among many others) from that format to privately issued DVD-R (Max the Juggler, The Man who Hanged Himself [macabre and semi-prophetic of course], A Strange Bet, Impossible Rest). He may have more that haven't been transferred. His 28mm website is here and his e-mail address is at the bottom of this page.

eqlipse

PostSun Jan 29, 2012 7:38 am

Jonathan wrote:While not impossible, it would be extraordinarily fortunate if even one Linder broadcast survives as I understand there are very few radio recordings extant from 1925 and even less from previous years. This site documents the earliest known recordings. You could try contacting some of the organizations and individuals credited at the bottom of the article.

As for the films, as you may know, many Linder shorts were released on the early (from 1911/12) and now very rare non-theatrical 28mm format. Martyn Stevens has reproduced the original 28mm catalogues (including plot descriptions) and transferred some Linder titles (among many others) from that format to privately issued DVD-R (Max the Juggler, The Man who Hanged Himself [macabre and semi-prophetic of course], A Strange Bet, Impossible Rest). He may have more that haven't been transferred. His 28mm website is here and his e-mail address is at the bottom of this page.

Thanks for the kind answer, Jonathan, we'll take a look and contact the websites you mention. Kind regards.

Damon

PostSun Feb 05, 2012 8:55 am

First of all, I'd like to say "hello" to everyone as it's my first post in this forum.

Eqlipse, I have a lot of Max Linder Comedies in VHS format in good quality.
I've recorded them in the french TV in the 90's (Arte).
The name of the serie was "En compagnie de Max Linder". More than 30 films were broadcasted.
I also recorded some episodes of the serie called "Max follies" back in the 80's.
These two series were made by Maud Linder, his daughter.
I also have a very good recording of the documentary "L'homme au chapeau de soie" (The Man in the Silk Hat) made by Maud in 1983 and 2 more documentaries from Arte made in 2000.
Let me know if you want the list of all the films I own or if you need more informations about the docs.

And sorry to all for my bad english, as you may understand I'm french :wink:

JFK

Later Linder Letter ? and photo

PostFri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 am

Here's a "signed" photo, but the signature doesn't match the one on the letter.Image
Last edited by JFK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 11 times in total.

eqlipse

Re: Later Linder Letter

PostThu Jul 05, 2012 11:42 am

JFK wrote:Image

Hello, the letter looks interesting. Have you been able to translate it? Do you have other memorabilia, films or photos of Linder?

Kind regards.

Return to The Exchange