Sydney Chaplin (the younger) has died

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

hetton

Sydney Chaplin (the younger) has died

PostWed Mar 04, 2009 10:36 am

Sydney Chaplin--the eldest living child of Charlie--died peacefully at home yesterday at the age of 82.
Last edited by hetton on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sierradane

PostFri Mar 06, 2009 7:47 am

Will he be buried next to his father?

misspickford9

silentfilm

PostSun Mar 08, 2009 4:17 pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_1186 ... ck_check=1

Sydney Chaplin, 82, successful stage actor in own right
By WILLIAM GRIMES

New York Times

Posted: 03/07/2009 10:29:51 PM PST

Sydney Chaplin, who emerged from the shadow of his famous father, Charlie Chaplin, to carve out a successful stage career that included leading roles opposite Judy Holliday in the musical "Bells Are Ringing," and Barbra Streisand in "Funny Girl," died Tuesday at his home in Rancho Mirage. He was 82.

His death followed a stroke, Jerry Bodie, a friend, told The Associated Press.

Chaplin was the younger of two sons his father had with his second wife, the ingénue Lita Grey. After his parents' divorce in 1927, he was reared by his maternal grandmother and encountered his father only intermittently until he reached adulthood. When Charlie Chaplin wrote "Limelight," however, he had Sydney in mind for the part of Neville, the young composer who wins the heart of Claire Bloom. Sydney later appeared in his father's final film, "A Countess from Hong Kong" (1967).

Chaplin, described as a child as "restless, turbulent, independent" by the magazine Screenland, made his reputation on his own, and on the stage. His performance as the answering-service client whom Holliday's character falls for in "Bells Are Ringing" earned him a Tony Award for best featured actor in a musical in 1957.

In The New York Times, Brooks Atkinson praised him as "an admirable leading man," noting his "warmth, taste, skill and grace." These qualities were on display once more in "Funny Girl," in which his performance was rewarded with a Tony nomination for best actor in a musical in 1964.

Early struggles

Sydney Earle Chaplin, named for his father's half-brother, was born in Los Angeles. He made a nuisance of himself at several schools before dropping out and trying to enlist in the Army at 17. He failed at that, too, but was drafted a year later and served as a bazooka man in Europe with the Third Army under George Patton.

On returning to the United States, he joined with a group of undergraduates at the University of California-Los Angeles to form the Circle Players, a semiprofessional company named for its commitment to theater in the round. The group attracted national attention for its ambitious productions, the first of them staged in a former funeral parlor. It presented several plays by William Saroyan, including the world premiere of "Sam Ego's House."

In the 1950s Chaplin appeared in several less than memorable films, including "Land of the Pharaohs," "Abdulla the Great" and "Pillars of the Sky," a western.

"I wasn't a leading man," he told Cue magazine in 1957. "So they slapped a coat of dark greasepaint on me and cast me as an Indian or an Egyptian."

Musical career

He did achieve leading-man status on the musical stage, although he had never sung until he auditioned for "Bells Are Ringing." He later took a starring role in "Subways Are for Sleeping," also by Betty Comden, Adolph Green and Jule Styne, and in "Funny Girl" he held his own opposite Streisand as Nicky Arnstein, the gambler who woos Fanny Brice. In the film version of the play, the part went to Omar Sharif. Chaplin left the show in 1965 after a dispute with the director and spent the next several years making films in Europe.

In the late 1980s he opened a restaurant, Chaplin's, in Palm Springs. It closed in the early 1990s.

His first two marriages ended in divorce. His survivors include his wife, Margaret Beebe Chaplin; a son, Stephan; and a granddaughter. The actress Geraldine Chaplin, a daughter of Charlie Chaplin and his fourth wife, Oona, is one of his eight half-siblings.

"I'm no genius," he told The Daily News in 1957. "I don't have Dad's capacity for work. I just want to be a good actor."

silentfilm

PostWed Mar 11, 2009 11:44 am

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/culture/entries/2009/03/10/sydney_chaplin_rip.html

Sydney Chaplin RIP
By Scott Eyman | Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 02:26 PM

I spent decades collecting string on Charlie Chaplin, with the vague idea of one day writing a book, until I realized that I didn’t really have anything interesting to say on the subject - not that that has stopped a lot of people from writing books on the same subject.

Syd Chaplin, who died last week at 82, was Chaplin’s son and a thoroughly delightful man - unpretentious, charming, quite funny. (Robert Wagner, who did time with Syd at a boarding school both men assured me was unspeakable, says to this day that Syd was one of the funniest men he’s ever known.)

Syd was also a good actor and very handsome, but he didn’t have the career his talents entitled him to. His dad gave him a great start with “Limelight,” and Syd had a couple of big Broadway hits, including “Bells Are Ringing” and “Funny Girl.”

But once you got to know him, it made perfect sense. Charlie Chaplin was a true obsessive/compulsive - once he got his teeth into a film, he lived and breathed it 24 hours a day until the picture was finished, for years at a time.

Syd gave the definite impression that at these times he found his dad to be exhausting. Syd had other interests, and he can fairly be said to have enjoyed his life, especially when it came to women and golf.

Charlie liked his son, and when it came to women, the apple hadn’t fallen far from the tree, but he didn’t understand his lack of drive. Actually, it makes a certain rough sense, for Syd was named after Charlie’s brother, also quite talented, also a man who could be said to have opted for the more relaxed pleasures of life at the cost of a distinguished career.

I used to side with Charlie about these things, but the older I get, the more I think that Syd Chaplin - uncle and nephew - might have had the right idea. Unfortunately, these kinds of things derive from nature, not nurture.

In any case, as anybody who knew him could attest, Syd was always a gentleman, and I’m glad I knew him, however tangentially.

Return to Silent News