Rare Larry Semon film clip

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

prowlingowl

Rare Larry Semon film clip

PostSun Mar 20, 2011 2:19 pm

This is my first post, so I'd like to introduce myself and ask my first question.

I have been a collector of 16mm silent and sound films for many years. My collecting started in the 1930s when my parents bought me a toy movie projector and some titles from the "Exclusive Movie" catalogue which are of course fragments from 20s silents.

I still have many of these, most still play!

I have now brought these films out of storage and have been looking through what I have and checking the titles against what is on u-tube or on offer from dealers on the internet.

One I can't identify is a 50ft Larry Semon Exclusive Movie sepia print called "Taken For A Ride" in which Larry commandeers a motorcycle with a side car, puts the girl in the sidecar and careens recklessly down the street finally crashing into a telephone pole.

As I have only a small knowledge of Semon's output I was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone of you.

Big Silent Fan

Re: Rare Larry Semon film clip

PostFri Mar 25, 2011 7:59 am

prowlingowl wrote:This is my first post, so I'd like to introduce myself and ask my first question.
One I can't identify is a 50ft Larry Semon Exclusive Movie sepia print called "Taken For A Ride" in which Larry commandeers a motorcycle with a side car, puts the girl in the sidecar and careens recklessly down the street finally crashing into a telephone pole.

As I have only a small knowledge of Semon's output I was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone of you.

Welcome to the group. I've just watched Semon and his wife, Dorothy Dwan in the 1925, "Wisard of OZ." I don't know that I have an answer, but here's what I found.

Is this a girl, or a man dressed like a girl in the film? Looking through a list of 35 Semon films, this plot about crooks seems to match "Taken For A Ride." Sometimes the titles might have been changed when feature-length films were cut down to sell to the public.

Girl in the Limousine (1924)
http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/movi ... 4#readMore

Here's a link that shows 35 features from his career (cut short by an early death).

http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/pers ... ageSize=50

prowlingowl

PostFri Mar 25, 2011 2:30 pm

I assume from what you are saying is that nobody knows of a print of "Girl In The Limousine" which means that the fragment I have may be all that's left if that is indeed where it originates.

The girl could I guess be a man in drag. I have had this film clip for 70 plus years and it never occurred to me.

The fragment is on double perf 16mm in sepia and runs 1:40 minutes. My transfer of it to my hard drive looks ok.

I would like to share this video with everyone here but I can't see anywhere on this site where I can upload it. So I guess I could upload it to u-tube. As I have never done this before it will be a real learning experience.

I'll notify everyone when I have accomplished this feat

Thanks for your diligent research.

Big Silent Fan

PostFri Mar 25, 2011 3:51 pm

prowlingowl wrote:The fragment is on double perf 16mm in sepia and runs 1:40 minutes.

You said earlier that this was just a 50 foot piece of film.

Then your running time might be just One minute, 40 seconds (1:40sec). Is that what you meant?

prowlingowl

PostFri Mar 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Sorry for the confusion. My fault.

One minute forty seconds is the total running time. Wish it was more.

Richard M Roberts

Re: Rare Larry Semon film clip

PostFri Mar 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Big Silent Fan wrote:
prowlingowl wrote:This is my first post, so I'd like to introduce myself and ask my first question.

Welcome to the group. I've just watched Semon and his wife, Dorothy Dwan in the 1925, "Wisard of OZ." I don't know that I have an answer, but here's what I found.

Is this a girl, or a man dressed like a girl in the film? Looking through a list of 35 Semon films, this plot about crooks seems to match "Taken For A Ride." Sometimes the titles might have been changed when feature-length films were cut down to sell to the public.

Girl in the Limousine (1924)
http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/movi ... 4#readMore

Here's a link that shows 35 features from his career (cut short by an early death).

http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/pers ... ageSize=50

Oh come on, it's not likely a clip from GIRL IN THE LIMOUSINE, Larry Semon, crooks, a motorcycle with a sidecar and a chase with a stuntman dressed as a girl in the sidecar could be any number of Semon shorts. These were standard Semon props in many a standard Semon chase scene. I know there's a motorcycle chase in THE COUNTER JUMPER, and perhaps HORSESHOES and several others. Gad, the later Semon shorts run together in my head they are so similar.

More important questions should be, who are the supporting players? Usually the Semon chases are mainly stuntmen, but if you can spot Oliver Hardy or Frank Alexander, that will narrow it a bit.

Oh yeah, and is there a water tower which someone swings off of and is then dynamited. That will narrow it to about 20 shorts.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

prowlingowl

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 1:38 pm

The Exclusive Movie fragment with Larry Semon called "Taken For A Ride" is now up on youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG_fiZVxbeY

I did not add any sound. I actually don't think it needs it.

Does this help in identifying the source film?

Steve Massa

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 4:19 pm

This a really fascinating clip as it isn't Larry Semon, but you can see why someone thought it was. I'm pretty well versed in silent comedians and I'm not sure who that is. He resembles a kind of a stretched out Eddie Bracken. Don't recognize the girl either. It looks around mid 1920s, and is a nice, fast-paced little bit.

Tommie Hicks

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 5:36 pm

If anyone here is interested in some semi-rare Larry Semon clips, check out my You Tube channel - TommieO61.

(That's an O and not a zero)

Richard M Roberts

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

This clip is from a Bobby Nelson Weiss Brother comedy,late 20's.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Massa

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks Richard. Potential material for Weiss-O-Rama 2.

prowlingowl

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 6:40 pm

This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get.

I am surprised that this isn't Larry Semon. I have never heard of Bobby Nelson.

Richard do you have the original film this came from? Can you tell me it's title?

Big Silent Fan

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:This clip is from a Bobby Nelson Weiss Brother comedy,late 20's.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Could you give us some details about the actor, if not the film itself? I've only been able to find two Bobby Nelsons in a search, and both of them would have not even been ten years old when this film was probably made.

In fact, these could be the same person, one giving a birthdate of January 1, 1923 and the other, January 17, 1922. Both apparently began in silents but continued as child actors in sound.

The Mystery continues...

spadeneal

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Seconded. I can't find this Bobby Nelson at all.

Nice clip, by the way! I like how you kept the original sense of framing.

spadeneal

Richard M Roberts

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 2:11 am

Oops, I'm mixing up my Weiss Brother Bobbys,(I'm out of town, just running in and out at the Hotel here while doing other stuff). It's not Bobby Nelson, thats the kid comic, it's Bobby Emmett aka Robert Tansey, who was another Weiss Brother comedy star. I think his series was the Crackerjack Comedies, or the Lucky Strikes, again, I don't have my library around me. When I get home, I can look it up and perhaps get you the title.

Tansey of course became a director of B Westerns and other low budget films in the 30's and 40's. He produced and directed GOD'S COUNTRY (1946) that featured Buster Keatonin a supporting role. I think Tansey was also producing and directing these Weiss shorts, and the ones I've seen are pretty lousy, even for the Weiss's. That clip is about the most accomplished I've seen from that series.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Return to Talking About Silents