Garbo on TCM in April

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
silentfilm

Garbo on TCM in April

Unread post by silentfilm » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 am

https://movieswithmichael506.blogspot.c ... april.html

Monday April 1st

Torrent (1926) Director: Monta Bell. Starring Greta Garbo and Ricardo Cortez. 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern.

The Temptress (1926) Director: Fred Niblo. Starring Greta Garbo and Antonio Moreno. 6:45 pm Pacific, 9:45 Eastern.

The Mysterious Lady (1928) Director: Fred Niblo. Starring Greta Garbo and Conrad Nagel. 8:45 pm Pacific, 11:45 pm Eastern.

The Kiss (1929) Director: Jacques Feyder. Starring Greta Garbo and Conrad Nagel. 10:30pm Pacific, 1: 30 am Eastern.

The Single Standard (1929). Director: John S. Robertson. Starring Greta Garbo and Nils Asther. 11:45 pm Pacific, 2:45 Am Eastern.

Tuesday April 2nd

Wild Orchids (1929) Director: Sidney Franklin. Starring Greta Garbo and Lewis Stone. 1:15 AM Pacific, 4:15 Am Eastern.

The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924) Director: Mauritz Stiller. Starring Lars Hansen and Greta Garbo. 3:00 AM Pacific, 6:00 Am Eastern.

The Gold Rush (1925) Director: Charlie Chaplin. Starring Charlie Chaplin and Mack Swain. 6:15 AM Pacific, 9:15 AM Eastern.

Sunnyside (1919) Director: Charlie Chaplin. Starring Charlie Chaplin and Enda Purviance. 8am Pacific. 11 am Eastern.

Wednesday April 3rd

The Battleship Potemkin (1925) Director: Sergei Eisenstien. Starring Alexander Antonov and Vladimir Barsky. 3 am Pacific, 6 am Eastern.

Thursday April 4th

Flesh and the Devil (1926) Director: Clarence Brown. Starring Greta Garbo and John Gilbert. 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern.

Love (1927) Director: Edmund Golding. Starring Greta Garbo and John Gilbert. 7:15 pm Pacific, 10:15 pm Eastern.

A Woman of Affairs (1928) Director: Clarence Brown. Starring Greta Garbo and John Gilbert. 9 pm Pacific. 12am Eastern.

Friday April 5th

La Bohme (1926) Director: King Vidor. Starring Lillian Gish and John Gilbert. 1:30am Pacific, 4:30am Eastern.

Sunday April 7th

The Best Man (1928) Director: Harry Edwards. Starring Jimmy Hertz and Joy Lind. 9:30pm Pacific, 12:30 am Eastern.

Thundering Fleas (1926) Director: Robert F. McGowan. Starring Our Gang. 9:51pm Pacific, 12:51am Eastern.

Bright Eyes (1922) Director: Malcom St. Clair. Starring Dave Anderson and John J. Richardson. 10:11pm Pacific, 1:11am Eastern.

Thursday April 16th

The Gold Rush (1925) Director: Charlie Chaplin. Starring Charlie Chaplin and Mack Swain. 5pm Pacific, 9pm Eastern.

Sunday April 21st

King of Kings (1927) Director: Cecil B. De Mille. Starring H.B. Warner and Ernest Torrance. 10pm Pacific, 1am Eastern.

TinaC

Re: Garbo on TCM in April

Unread post by TinaC » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:17 am

Not Garbo related, but with the silent movie schedule up I just want to mention there is also still Silent Sunday Night on April 28. They will be playing a foreign silent from 1933 called Passing Fancy.

Roscoe

Unread post by Roscoe » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:59 am

The print of GOSTA BERLING'S SAGA run on TCM yesterday had a Janus Films logo -- is a Criterion release in the works?
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com" target="_blank

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:38 pm

LOVE was just on TCM, and the live recorded score (taken from a UCLA screening) was appalling. Aside from being terribly repetitious, there is inappropriate laughter breaking out at dramatic points in the film (it is a tragic romance, after all), and I cannot fathom how Warner thought this to be the score to use for the Archives release.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 am

I taped Love last night but have not yet watched it. I see that Love is available through Warner Archives. Was the same score used on the DVD? I know we have discussed on this forum the idea of simply taping scores played live at screenings as an inexpensive way for TCM to obtain a score so that at least films can be shown. Much like the other thread of Colleen Moore films that are not shown due to lack of a score. Audience reaction would invariably go along with taping a live score. Was this by chance an attempt/experiment with doing it that way?

Matthew

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:41 am

I imagine the conversation went something like:

"Hey, we got a score for Love?"

"Just this one from a screening."

"Use it."

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:42 am

mwalls wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 am
I taped Love last night but have not yet watched it. I see that Love is available through Warner Archives. Was the same score used on the DVD? I know we have discussed on this forum the idea of simply taping scores played live at screenings as an inexpensive way for TCM to obtain a score so that at least films can be shown. Much like the other thread of Colleen Moore films that are not shown due to lack of a score. Audience reaction would invariably go along with taping a live score. Was this by chance an attempt/experiment with doing it that way?

Matthew
Yes, it was inexplicably used for the DVD too. The audience reaction involves recurring laughter at dramatic or sad points in the film. I honestly thought there was a mistake in the score, because it made no sense why there would be laughter at such moments. Take out the audience and you're left with a rather dull, monotonous score (particularly the use of the brass section), but it would certainly be infinitely more tolerable without the laughter. Believe me, when you hear it, it's akin to canned laughter, and you get the feeling the film is being laughed at, which really hurts how one experiences silent films in particular. If I were watching THE BIG LEBOWSKI, I wouldn't care less which random moments in the film audiences members collectively laugh at, even if the timing feels off, but a Garbo film? Particularly LOVE, which has far better performances from both Garbo and Gilbert than in FLESH AND THE DEVIL. Ironically, the one scene I actually thought would feature laughter had none at all (the horse racing scene in which a delirious Garbo reacts to Gilbert racing in excess hysterics –– the only exaggerated moment in her performance).

smokey15

Unread post by smokey15 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:27 am

Does anyone know why "As You Desire Me" is missing from the Garbo schedule? It's not on DVD either. Is there some copyright or litigation going on that is keeping this film away from public viewing? It hasn't been shown on TCM in around 12-13 years yet it's an MGM film.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:37 am

I had never given Garbo much of a chance before. So famous as a goddess I just did not think her films would be very interesting if it was just a matter of showcasing her in various fancy gowns and her being the object of affection/pursuit by various men in films. But, I decided to give it a shot and taped a bunch of her silent films on TCM and was very pleasantly surprised. They were not what I was expecting and overall quite good. I particularly enjoyed Torrent and Mysterious Lady.

I also recorded one of her talkies to try and that was Ninotchka, which is quite famous. Honestly I have had it in my recorded queue twice before but ended up just deleting before watching. This time I would actually watch. But, as of twenty minutes or so into the film I was not at all taken in by the movie and deleted it. I know that is a strange reaction because it is Garbo and because Ninotchka is such a famous movie. But, I guess I am just in the minority on this film.

Matthew

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:00 pm

mwalls wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:37 am
I also recorded one of her talkies to try and that was Ninotchka, which is quite famous. Honestly I have had it in my recorded queue twice before but ended up just deleting before watching. This time I would actually watch. But, as of twenty minutes or so into the film I was not at all taken in by the movie and deleted it. I know that is a strange reaction because it is Garbo and because Ninotchka is such a famous movie. But, I guess I am just in the minority on this film.

Matthew
Not in the minority at all, it's a film I've never been able to warm to either. One of the first film books I ever read was Otto Friedrich's City of Nets, which counted it as one of the great films of 1939. I watched with great anticipation, and ... nothing. But then, I run hot and cold on Garbo. I sometimes suspect that her legendary sense of mystery was a bit of a con, and she knew it, and milked it.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm

I like Garbo, and I love Lubitsch. But NINOTCHKA just doesn't do much for me. I'd pick almost any of her (or his) other films to watch instead...

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:00 pm

“Méliès is the OG.” —Liam Gebert

Trueblood

Unread post by Trueblood » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm

To each his own, I guess. NINOTCHKA--to me--is one of Garbo's (and Melvin Douglas's) greatest films. Funny, romantic, beautifully written, lovingly performed, buoyed greatly by the synergy of Lubitsch and Billy Wilder. Even Bela Lugosi is good. Plus the incomparable trio of Sig Ruman, Felix Bressart and Alexander Granach. Certainly, NINOTCHKA is much more alive and convincingly romantic than many of her late MGM silents (which often had weak, unconvincing leading men and tortured plots).

Leon: What kind of a girl are you anyway?
Ninotchka: Just what you see. A tiny cog in the great wheel of evolution.
Leon: You're the most adorable cog I've ever seen. Ninotchka, let me confess something. Never did I dream I could feel like this toward a sergeant.

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:25 pm

NINOTCHKA always has and always will be my favorite Garbo film. The deadpan humor is everything. QUEEN CHRISTINA is a close second. I really am not too fond of her talkies, to be honest.

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:20 pm

CAMILLE is great, ANNA KARENINA pretty good, ANNA CHRISTIE a decent early talkie version of a classic American play, and CONQUEST okay historical romance.

QUEEN CHRISTINA is too arch for me.

- Craig

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 am

I've got a large lady's shoe-load of Garbo films on my DVR now, and decided to watch Two-Faced Woman, her final bow, last night, because I wanted to watch something light, which limits you in the case of her filmography. Realizing the film was a bomb at the time, I figured it would at least have some novelty value, although whatever chemistry Garbo and co-star Melvyn Douglas had in Ninotchka, it does not rear its head here. But I still enjoyed it for fun turns by Roland Young as Douglas's business partner, Constance Bennett as Douglas's old flame and a young Ruth Gordon, who steals every scene she's in.

Garbo is OK in the farcical plot about a woman trying to trick her husband into pseudo-infidelity by pretending to be her own twin sister, but her heart doesn't really seem to be in it. I do like her famous dance number, which is the best-known scene in the film for good reason, but you can almost feel like she has one foot out the studio door before the film has wrapped.

Just wondering if anyone else out there watched this one on TCM this month, there was something weird about the soundtrack on the version I saw, strange distortions and noises that seemed to be a flaw in the version they were showing, but could also have been related to the signal or something else.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:44 am

I'm also going down the GARBO list this month, checking out titles I had missed and revisiting a few others.

Half way through a new one (for me) - THE MYSTERIOUS LADY (1928.)

Anyone here know if it was originally released with a synchronized track - and if any of that track is known to survive?

The new (2002) TCM-commissioned score by Vivek Maddala is perfectly fine. It's certainly lush and tuneful. (If I were to pick at nits, I would say it sounds more Parisian then Viennese - except when more modern American sounds creep in. But overall it may be the best of the TCM scores.)

But the opera performance at top of the film is clearly TOSCA. And, presumably, Garbo warbles a bit of "visi d'arte" for Nagel when she bewitches him in her lair.

Did the original score include some Puccini? Did anyone dub in the aria for the original synced score (assuming there was one?)

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 am
I've got a large lady's shoe-load of Garbo films

(I saw what you did there...!)

Harold Aherne

Unread post by Harold Aherne » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:44 am
I'm also going down the GARBO list this month, checking out titles I had missed and revisiting a few others.

Half way through a new one (for me) - THE MYSTERIOUS LADY (1928.)

Anyone here know if it was originally released with a synchronized track - and if any of that track is known to survive?
I don't believe The Mysterious Lady was given a synch score at the time. It opened in Los Angeles in late July 1928 (a few days before the premiere of White Shadows in the South Seas, the first MGM to have a soundtrack) before going into general release on 4 August.

Soundtrack symbols don't begin to appear on MGM's general releases until September, when Our Dancing Daughters, Excess Baggage and While the City Sleeps were issued with scores. (White Shadows didn't go into general release until 10 November.)

--HA

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:51 am

wich2 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 pm
s.w.a.c. wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 am
I've got a large lady's shoe-load of Garbo films

(I saw what you did there...!)
Everything I know about Garbo's feet I learned from Warner Brothers cartoons.

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 am

Harold Aherne wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm

I don't believe The Mysterious Lady was given a synch score at the time. It opened in Los Angeles in late July 1928 (a few days before the premiere of White Shadows in the South Seas, the first MGM to have a soundtrack) before going into general release on 4 August.

Soundtrack symbols don't begin to appear on MGM's general releases until September, when Our Dancing Daughters, Excess Baggage and While the City Sleeps were issued with scores. (White Shadows didn't go into general release until 10 November.)

--HA
Thanks, Harold. That makes sense. TCM is usually loathe to commission scores for silent that were originally issued with tracks.

But why the composer opted to completely ignore what is obviously meant to be Puccini remains a mystery.

maliejandra

Unread post by maliejandra » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:58 pm

The first Garbo film I ever saw (aside from the clip from Camille in Annie) was Grand Hotel. I thought, “Geez, what a terrible overactor!” Then I saw a string of others (including Queen Christina) which didn’t impress me. Then I saw Ninotchka.

Oh Ninotchka! I’ll watch it anytime it is on TV. I’ve seen it dozens of times and it never gets old. The love scenes make me melt and it is so clever! Melvyn Douglas is at his best and Garbo is so appealing. All of the character actors are amazing too. (I especially love Felix Bressart.)

Her silents are superior to her talkies overall; her aloofness worked well in the medium. I love the score on the VHS release of The Mysterious Lady; it is moody and somewhat modern but it compliments the film well.

I know a lot of people dislike and even loathe Two faced Woman, but I think it is a lot of fun. It was certainly a departure for Garbo, and I could see someone like Carole Lombard playing the part. But I think she pulls it off and could have gone on making enjoyable films for many years. Can’t you just imagine her in those noir dramas as the cold-hearted woman from around the block pulling the strings behind the scenes?