Intolerance Blu-Ray

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
bigshot

Intolerance Blu-Ray

Unread post by bigshot » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:14 pm

The DVD Beaver review is up and the screen caps look fantastic. It blows all previous versions out of the water.

All Darc

Re: Intolerance Blu-Ray

Unread post by All Darc » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:38 am

Strange... The images looks very good (like a original print), but according wikipedia these are not the best 35mm in existence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intolerance_(film" target="_blank)

"Extant versions

Intolerance is now in the public domain and there are currently four major versions of the film in circulation.

Major versions:

The Killiam Shows Version: This version, taken from a third-generation 16 millimeter print, contains an organ score by Gaylord Carter. Running approx. 176 minutes, this is the version that has been the most widely seen in recent years. It has been released on LaserDisc and DVD by Image Entertainment. This is the most complete version currently available on home video, if not the longest. Image Entertainment currently also has out a 197 minute version.

The Official Thames Silents Restoration: In 1989, this film was given a formal restoration by film preservationists Kevin Brownlow and David Gill. This version, also running 197 minutes, was prepared by Thames Television from original 35 millimeter material, and its tones and tints restored per Griffith's original intent. (The Internet Movie Database states this version is 177 minutes). It also has a digitally recorded orchestral score by Carl Davis. This version was released in the U.S. briefly around 1989–1990 by HBO Video, then went out of print. This version is under copyright by the Rohauer Collection, who worked in association with Thames on the restoration. This version of the film was given a further digital restoration by Cohen Media Group (which currently serves as keeper of the Rohauer library), and was reissued to select theatres in 2013. It will be issued on Blu-ray for the first time in the fall of this year.

The Kino Version: Pieced together in 2002 by Kino International, this version, taken from better 35 millimeter material, is transferred at a slower frame rate than the Killiam Shows print, resulting in a longer running time of 197 minutes. It contains a synth orchestral score by Joseph Turrin. An alternate "happy ending" to the "Fall of Babylon" sequence, showing the Mountain Girl surviving and re-united with the Rhapsode, is included on the DVD as a supplement. While not as complete as the Killiam Shows Version, this print contains footage not found on any other home video release.

The Restored Digital Cinema Version: Restoration conducted by ZZ Productions in collaboration with the Danish Film Institute and Arte France of the version shown on 7 April 1917 at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in London. This version runs approximately 177 minutes and premiered 29 August 2007 at the Venice Film Festival and on 4 October on arte.[17]"

Or maybe the text refers about The Kino as having better 35mm source than the earlier version from kino itself.
Keep thinking...

SilentsPlease

Unread post by SilentsPlease » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:14 pm

bigshot wrote:The DVD Beaver review is up and the screen caps look fantastic. It blows all previous versions out of the water.
But that comparison doesn't include what is probably the most pertinent comparison: the Cohen Blu-ray versus this 2010 region-2 PAL DVD from French publisher Diaphana, which was the best-looking DVD edition before the Blu-ray came out. And here is the comparison.

TheyHadFaces

Unread post by TheyHadFaces » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 am

Those screen shots really make me want to snatch this up, but 50 bucks? Might have to wait til Christmas and try to find it on sale.

Scoundrel

Unread post by Scoundrel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:00 am

" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 am

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 pm

It's 1080p, not 1080i for those who care about that.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:25 pm

bigshot wrote:It's 1080p, not 1080i for those who care about that.
Uh-oh, that cradle might be rockin' herky-jerky...

Rick

Allen Perkins

Unread post by Allen Perkins » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:44 pm

1080p? Oh no, a supposed error that will upset a handful of silent fans

Get your torches and pitchforks ready, handful of silent fans!
L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation
Class of 2017

Nosferatu

Unread post by Nosferatu » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:28 am

Why does the back of box say it has a runtime of 168 minutes?

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 am

Nosferatu wrote:Why does the back of box say it has a runtime of 168 minutes?
Maybe they added a minute of credits?

(According to the thread in "Talking about Silents," the theatrical showings have been 167 minutes. As also noted in that thread, DVD Beaver reported the length of the film incorrectly in their review. So 168 is the official run-time. My copy is to arrive on Monday, and I'll report if I get a chance to see it.)
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

David Alp

Unread post by David Alp » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm confused with all these different versions; I really am! I wish they would just have an "Ultimate" version. Can someone explain to me? This new 2013 version of it. The one with the Carl Davis orchestra. Is it taken from the original 35mm negative? And as an "aside", what is the story behind the original 35mm negative for "Intolerance"?

I bought the Gaylord Carter version on 16mm, like many of us did, about 8 years ago or more now? It's not very good because the picture quality is questionable. I would like to see a better version. So what exactly will I be getting if I buy the new Cohen Film Collection version? (I have to also say that I adore Carl Davis' scores over the Gaylord Carter ones)

Christopher Jacobs

Unread post by Christopher Jacobs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:08 pm

David of The Alps wrote:I'm confused with all these different versions; I really am! I wish they would just have an "Ultimate" version. Can someone explain to me? This new 2013 version of it. The one with the Carl Davis orchestra. Is it taken from the original 35mm negative? And as an "aside", what is the story behind the original 35mm negative for "Intolerance"?

I bought the Gaylord Carter version on 16mm, like many of us did, about 8 years ago or more now? It's not very good because the picture quality is questionable. I would like to see a better version. So what exactly will I be getting if I buy the new Cohen Film Collection version? (I have to also say that I adore Carl Davis' scores over the Gaylord Carter ones)
I bought a Museum of Modern Art version on 16mm about 20-30 years ago, which has no soundtrack on the print but reproduces the color tints from the 35mm nitrate it was copied from. I did make a cassette tape recording of a live keyboard score (using its pipe organ setting) performed one time I'd screened it, however, running at approximately 18 fps with one audio cassette for each reel (running on one projector made it easy to start recording at the beginning of each reel). The editing and tints are slightly different from a different MoMA print I'd seen. The editing is also slightly different from the B&W Blackhawk print I'd seen. The Murray Glass (Glenn Photo) print I understand was different yet, as well as a separate reel of Babylon scenes that were different from his main print. There are many 16mm prints in circulation of much lower image quality that are duped from these or copied from various other sources. There are no two surviving 35mm prints that are alike. Some years ago there was also a reconstruction made with freeze-frames to indicate scenes in the opening night premiere that were missing from any surviving release prints. Whatever print(s) get put onto various video formats, there is no way there can be a "definitive" version of INTOLERANCE.

An "Ultimate" video edition might try to assemble several surviving alternate cuts and include the reconstruction, with alternate running speeds and alternate music scores as well as multiple audio commentary tracks, a reproduction of the original souvenir program and frameable mini-onesheets, but I suspect there might be a dozen or two people at most who would actually ever watch them all, a few others who'd buy it just so they could have it, and maybe a few dozen libraries who might like to add a copy to their collection, so it's doubtful something so ambitious would ever be attempted unless there is some fanatical INTOLERANCE-fan millionaire who decides to underwrite it.

Rob Farr

Unread post by Rob Farr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Deep Discount is having their semi-annual 25% off the already discounted price sale, and they're listing the Blu of Intolerance for $27 and change (free shipping too). Not all discs have the extra discount because many of the boutique labels don't participate. But there are still plenty of deals to be found. And DD sometimes adds new titles as the sale continues through Nov. 18
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

Nosferatu

Unread post by Nosferatu » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:17 pm

Rodney wrote:
Nosferatu wrote:Why does the back of box say it has a runtime of 168 minutes?
Maybe they added a minute of credits?

(According to the thread in "Talking about Silents," the theatrical showings have been 167 minutes. As also noted in that thread, DVD Beaver reported the length of the film incorrectly in their review. So 168 is the official run-time. My copy is to arrive on Monday, and I'll report if I get a chance to see it.)
So the older Kino release is 20 minutes longer at 197 minutes.
dvdbeaver comparisons with the cohen version: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompar ... erance.htm" target="_blank

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't know the precise origin of each of these versions, of course, but what I do know is what Russell Merritt wrote years ago, which is that there are plenty of versions of Intolerance and it would change from city to city as Griffith tinkered with it. Until now, at least, the best one I've seen in terms of internal coherency was Merritt's version, released by Image on laserdisc and DVD, which is based on a 1926 reissue; he regarded that as Griffith's final and best word on it, but acknowledged that a ten-years-later Intolerance won't be to everyone's taste as THE Intolerance.

You can read Merritt's piece here.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Allen Perkins

Unread post by Allen Perkins » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:29 pm

I just wish it was easy to find a version of Intolerance true to the time it was released. Stuff like the 1926 reissue just gets me curious for something closer to what was seen at some point in its original release during the mid-to-late teens, since we may never see the premiere cut. All revision does is pique my interest in earlier cuts (I'm looking at you Chaplin). I've read about a 1917 print before, is there any way to procure a copy of it?
L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation
Class of 2017

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:40 pm

All of this is addressed in the Merritt piece. Basically, he says the "New York premiere" should be regarded as analogous to an out of town tryout of a Broadway show, as it was substantially revised almost instantly and continuing for some time. It's not at all the case that it was a final version which was then whittled down, but rather an early version that continued to be worked on.

A 1917 version is what David Shepard's Film Preservation Associates offered, albeit somewhat reconstructed, according to a footnote in the Merritt piece. I'm not clear on whether any of the existing versions on home video was theirs at this point.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Roscoe

Unread post by Roscoe » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:49 am

Rob Farr wrote:Deep Discount is having their semi-annual 25% off the already discounted price sale, and they're listing the Blu of Intolerance for $27 and change (free shipping too). Not all discs have the extra discount because many of the boutique labels don't participate. But there are still plenty of deals to be found. And DD sometimes adds new titles as the sale continues through Nov. 18
Many many thanks for the heads up on this. I picked up both INTOLERANCE and NOSFERATU for substantially less than I'd have paid at that goddamn Amazon.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com" target="_blank

SilentsPlease

Unread post by SilentsPlease » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Nosferatu wrote:So the older Kino release is 20 minutes longer at 197 minutes.
dvdbeaver comparisons with the cohen version: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompar ... erance.htm
It's longer mainly due to the slower speed. And yes, it does have some footage (not a lot) not found on the 1999 Image DVD, which is considered the "standard version".

For instance, in the scene where the Friendless One is about to shoot the Musketeer through the window, the Kino DVD shows that she suddenly has a flashback to the time she first met The Boy, making her hesitant to fire the gun. We see her trembling hands and nervous expression, clearly struggling with the idea of committing a murder. This dramatic moment is NOT on the Image DVD ("standard version"). The Image DVD simply shows her shooting the gun mercilessly and without hesitation.

But overall, Image DVD is more complete. I did a side-by-side comparison yesterday and there are numerous shots, many in the Babylon story, that are absent on the Kino disc but present on the Image disc.

Most importantly, the Kino DVD is missing the happy ending that involves the Dear One's baby, found on the Image DVD.

Allen Perkins wrote:I just wish it was easy to find a version of Intolerance true to the time it was released. Stuff like the 1926 reissue just gets me curious for something closer to what was seen at some point in its original release during the mid-to-late teens, since we may never see the premiere cut. All revision does is pique my interest in earlier cuts (I'm looking at you Chaplin). I've read about a 1917 print before, is there any way to procure a copy of it?
Mike Gebert wrote:A 1917 version is what David Shepard's Film Preservation Associates offered, albeit somewhat reconstructed, according to a footnote in the Merritt piece. I'm not clear on whether any of the existing versions on home video was theirs at this point.
The 1917 version was released on Region-2 PAL DVD in 2010 by the French publisher Diaphana. The closing credits of the DVD clearly show "From a 1917 print..." I will check the exact wording later. (EDIT: the exact wording is: "From the 1917 nitrate print [#3] tinted, that Griffith kept at Lloyd's Storage Company, bartered in 1954 by the George Eastman House." It says further, "The digitalisation of the B&W internegative produced in 1960, from the nitrate print [#3], was supervised by Thomas C. Christensen, Danish Film Institute.")

Prior to the Cohen Media Blu-ray/DVD, this French DVD had the best-looking print ever, from a restoration by Danish Film Institute in 2007.

I gave some details about this DVD in a thread I started here. As I said in the last post, this DVD is a disappointment. The climax of the modern story has an erroneous sequence of shots, and the entire scene of the French king signing the order for the massacre is missing. Like the Kino DVD, the disc is less complete in terms of the amount of footage compared to the Image DVD. And it's even less complete than the Kino DVD. For instance, the French DVD is missing a lot of the "rocking the cradle" insert shots. It's missing the Boy's flashback shots during his murder trial. It's missing a key shot during the car-train chase: the closeup of The Dear One at the front seat of the racing car, shot with the camera mounted on the front of the car, showing Griffith's technical prowess in action scenes.

But like the Kino DVD, this DVD has footage not found anywhere else. For instance, during the car-train chase in the modern story, when The Dear One and her companions finally catch up to the train, the French DVD (1917 print) has an extra shot of them boarding the train. The Image DVD and Kino DVDs don't have this shot. (CORRECTION: the Kino disc does have this shot, but the Image disc doesn't.)

The French DVD also has many "alternate takes". For instance, in the scene where The Dear One and The Boy "set their steps on the straight road", the French DVD shows different costumes and actors' performances for this scene. We see them facing the camera, with her arms around his, both looking upwards, standing very still, appearing to be praying. VIDEO CLIP. The Image and Kino DVDs show this scene very differently. VIDEO CLIP.

Another intriguing instance of an added shot is when The Dear One looks through the window of someone else's home and sees a couple and their baby. The Image and Kino DVDs both show the scene like this:

1. a closeup of the baby.
2. a closeup of The Dear One smiling at the baby.
3. a closeup of the baby seemingly noticing The Dear One.
4. a close up of The Dear One smiling some more.
Altogether 2 closeups of the baby. VIDEO CLIP.

But the French DVD shows the scene as follows:

1. a closeup of the baby.
2. a closeup of The Dear One smiling at the baby.
3. a closeup of the Dear One looking startled and starting to look away.
Only one closeup of baby. VIDEO CLIP.

The Image DVD has an excellent "visual essay" in the bonus section written by the aforementioned Russell Merritt. At the end of the essay are hundreds of still pictures of frames from "alternate takes", showing that different costumes and sets were used.

The visual essay also says, quite noteworthily, that the Image DVD ("the standard version") both includes AND excludes some footage from the 1917 version when necessary.

And that makes me wonder:

Were the shots of (a) the Friendless One's hesitation to fire the gun (found on Kino DVD), and (b) the Dear One's startled look (found on the French DVD), considered "not necessary" to be included in the "standard version" (i.e. Image DVD)? I wonder what the reasoning for those decisions was.
Last edited by SilentsPlease on Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nosferatu

Unread post by Nosferatu » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks for the wealth of information. I already have the Image version so I'll just stick with it for now.

Roscoe

Unread post by Roscoe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:27 am

Roscoe wrote:
Rob Farr wrote:Deep Discount is having their semi-annual 25% off the already discounted price sale, and they're listing the Blu of Intolerance for $27 and change (free shipping too). Not all discs have the extra discount because many of the boutique labels don't participate. But there are still plenty of deals to be found. And DD sometimes adds new titles as the sale continues through Nov. 18
Many many thanks for the heads up on this. I picked up both INTOLERANCE and NOSFERATU for substantially less than I'd have paid at that goddamn Amazon.
Alas, INTOLERANCE now seems to be on backorder at Deep Discount, and they're telling me that there's no way of knowing when or even if they'll have it available, so that discount doesn't really mean much.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com" target="_blank

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:45 am

Roscoe wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Alas, INTOLERANCE now seems to be on backorder at Deep Discount, and they're telling me that there's no way of knowing when or even if they'll have it available, so that discount doesn't really mean much.
As I type this ImportCDs lists it as shipping in 5-10 days for just under $30 plus shipping/handling.

http://www.importcds.com/movies/2650875/intolerance" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick

SeminaryGuy

Unread post by SeminaryGuy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Got my copy in the mail yesterday...gorgeous transfer, beautiful music, very little cropping (if any). The only thing I missed was a documentary on its restoration. :D The interview with David Sheppard was great. I'm really, really glad that my first time seeing this film was this blu-ray Cohen Collection version.
--
David L. Gill
Film lover
Film Score novice
Musician

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Just got it. Wow. There's just so much three-dimensionality to the images that you've never seen before. Truly a new experience with this film. And the Davis orchestral score has a grandeur befitting its scope. A very impressive release.

DShepFilm

Unread post by DShepFilm » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:31 am

Umm, if there is an interview with me on this disc, my memory is worse than I thought ...

David Shepard

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:01 am

DShepFilm wrote:Umm, if there is an interview with me on this disc, my memory is worse than I thought ...

David Shepard
I think that someone confused you with Kevin Brownlow. I get that all the time too, since we're all about the same height.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 pm

They wear the same after shave...

SilentsPlease

Unread post by SilentsPlease » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 am

I finally got my Cohen Media Blu-ray and watched it. It largely duplicates the Kino DVD in terms of the amount of footage available. As I said in my previous overlong post, the Kino DVD is missing quite a few shots that are found on the Image disc. So naturally, the Cohen edition is missing the same shots. Even though the Blu-ray looks and sounds quite stunning, I can't help feeling just a tad disappointed. The Image disc not only has more shots, but in some instances it is edited a little more competently as well.

Below is a list of the missing shots I've found, and they may not be complete. They may explain why the Image disc runs 178 minutes and the Cohen edition only 168 min. (Kino disc runs 197 min but it is due to its slower speed.)

Compared to the Image DVD, Kino and Cohen discs are missing:

(1) a closeup shot of the words Jesus wrote on the ground after he rescued the prositute by saying "he who never sins may cast the first stone." Both the Image DVD and French DVD have this shot, but the Kino & Cohen editions don't. The Kino & Cohen editions show a long shot of him writing something on the ground, but we don't see what exactly he wrote.

(2) A 2-minute scene where Belshazzar rescues the Mountain Girl from being killing by the High Priest of Bel. This scene is found on the Image DVD at 00:46:37 and also on the French DVD.

(3) A long shot of the Babylon castle wall being attacked by Cyrus's towers (found on Image DVD: 1:35:50).

(4) A closer shot of Cyrus's army climbing up to the Babylon castle (Image: 1:37:23). This shot improves continuity of the shots before and after.

(5) An extra shot of Babylonians praying in front of the statue of Ishtar, the Babylonian goddess (Image: 1:37:50). This shot shows a larger group of prayers than the existing, similar shots found on Kino & Cohen editions.

(6) A scene of an old lady offering 3 turnips and a carrot to Ishtar (Image: 1:38:03). This scene is followed by grisly killings of Babylonian soldiers, showing the futility of the old woman's prayer.

(7) Another shot of Babylonians in front of Ishtar's statue (Image: 1:38:30). This shot is similar to No. (5) above.

(8) A closeup of a severed head of a dead soldier (Image: 1:40:30). The poor picture quality of the Image disc makes the severed head hard to make out. But the much better-looking French DVD has this same shot and shows it more clearly. The French DVD was based on a 1917 print of the film. The Image DVD's special features include a visual essay in which restorer Russell Merritt writes that the Image DVD was based on a 1926 print plus some footage from a 1917 print.

(9) A closeup of The Mountain Girl looking terrified during the battle (Image: 1:42:26). This shot shows the horror of the battle is finally getting to the previously fearless woman.

(10) A shot of an exhausted woman worker collapsing and dying (Image: 1:43:03). The Image disc also has a title card identifying the "Woman aid worker", which is also missing on the Kino & Cohen editions.

(11) A somewhat comical shot of a Babylonian soldier getting speared in his buttocks after he decapitated an enemy (Image: 1:44:12). Here, Griffith might have intended to "soften" the horror of the decapitation with a little comedy.

(12) The "justice and restoration" segment that shows a happy ending involving The Dear One's baby (Image: 2:53:41). Kino & Cohen don't have this scene at all, but the French DVD does. Some believe Griffith's final intention was to NOT have the happy ending. My feeling is that I prefer to have a loose end tied up.

Note that most of my observations occur in the first Babylon battle. There may be a lot more missing shots that I missed.

---

Besides missing footage, the Kino & Cohen editions also have a few instances where shots don't seem to be edited the right way. Of course, I'm by no means qualified to judge what Griffith's intention might have been. But let me explain my reasons for thinking so, and you be the judge:

(A) During the first Babylon battle, there are a couple of instances where we see a shot of soldiers falling from the top of the castle, followed by a shot of them crashing to the ground. On the Image disc, in both instances the shots are placed next to each other as they should be. But on the Kino & Cohen editions, while the first instance is edited correctly, the second instance is not. In the second instance, the fall of the soldiers is NOT followed by a shot of them crashing to the ground, but by some other shots. An editing mistake?

(B) Early in the battle, the Kino & Cohen editions both have a shot that I find befuddling. The shot shows Belshazzar *choking* the neck of one of his soldiers with his hands. This shot is not found on the Image disc. The Image disc has a *similar* shot of Belshazzar showing his anger towards his soldiers *later* in the battle. It seems to show that, late in the battle when the enemies are making a strong assault, Belshazzar is unhappy with his soldier's lack of aggression. Therefore, it seems that the shot of his choking his soldier on the Kino & Cohen discs should probably have been placed LATE in the battle, rather than early. In other words, the Image disc is more correct than Kino & Cohen in the placement of this shot.

---

The Image, Kino, and French DVD each has footage not found in other editions. And sure enough, the same goes with the Cohen edition.

Early in the Cohen's version, we see one of the reformers says (via a title card), "We must have laws that make people good!" This is followed by a couple of shots of the workers drinking and dancing. The Image and Kino discs DON'T HAVE this title card and the shots of the workers.

The French DVD also has the "make people good" title card and the shots, but the title card is in a different font and its wording is also different.

----

I've edited my previous overlong post to include some video clips of the footage unique to the French DVD. Just to show everyone what it looks like since it seems that not too many people have the French DVD.

----

I think I need to give a summation here:

(1) The Image DVD from 1999, while having the worst picture quality, is the most complete of all versions in terms of the amount of footage available.
(2) The French DVD from 2010, while having terrific picture quality (2nd only to the Cohen Blu-ray), is the least complete of all versions in terms of the amount of footage available.
(3) The Kino DVD from 2002, while having the longest running time, is not as complete as the Image DVD, but not as INcomplete as the French DVD.
(4) The Cohen edition from 2013 has largely identical footage as the Kino DVD.
(5) Each edition has footage not found in other editions.
(6) The Image disc seems to have better editing in some instances (my opinion only).

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:47 am

I cannot comment on the origins of the editions, but some of the shots you mention are in the separated-out stories (The Mother and the Law and The Fall of Babylon), and may not have been intended to be in the complete Intolerance. I didn't look up the battle shots (but am curious about what you find, since you are more familiar with that sequence), but the bit with Balshazzar saving the Mountain Girl from the priest is there. In fact, she's saved about three times in short order, and I wouldn't have blamed Balshazzar from finally giving up if she had kept it up much longer...

Don't feel cheated until you've watched those two films, which of course have many additional scenes that are not in any version of Intolerance, including very different endings for the Mountain Girl and the Dear One's baby.

I enjoyed the interview with Kevin Brownlow. He does mention David Shepard (which may be where the confusion arose in SeminaryGuy's post above), in an anecdote about when the two of them visited James Smith, the editor of Intolerance.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com