Watch That Movie Night 2014— Win Kino Releases

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Watch That Movie Night 2014— Win Kino Releases

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:36 pm

You heard a rumor it was coming out. You read the review at one of the DVD review sites. You pre-ordered at Amazon. You got it and popped it in to check the quality. You set it in the pile to watch.

And... three years later, it's still in that pile!

I don't know if that happens to you, but it sure happens to me. So it's time again for NitrateVille's remedy for the piled-up DVD, the tucked-away laserdisc, the dust-covered VHS tape, the 16mm print that gets rewound once a year but never watched: NitrateVille's own at-home film festival for the dog days of January, the 6th Annual Watch That Movie Night!

If you haven't participated before, here's the idea. "Watch That Movie Night" is the time we all take one of those movies from our collections and finally watch it— and tell our fellow NitrateVillains about it, expanding the base of knowledge about what's out there. And if you're game, you have a chance to win a movie on blu-ray or DVD, courtesy of our good friends at Kino Classics who bring us so many great things all year long:

• NOSFERATU: Kino's new two-disc edition of the horror classic, offering two restored versions based off the 2006 Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung restoration.

• COLLEGE: The last starring feature in the Buster Keaton blu-ray series.

• DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE: Advance copy of their new release of the John Barrymore version of the classic horror story.

Here's how it works:

1. Pick a classic era movie that's been in your collection for at least a year, unwatched. (Blu-ray, DVD, VHS, 16mm, 9.5mm, whatever you have.) If you're one of those people who actually watches everything as it comes in, just pick something you've wanted to see for a long time. Or anything.

2. Announce your choice in this thread.

3. Watch it on (or around) Friday, January 24.

4. And post something, anything about it in this thread by Monday, January 27th.

Winners will be selected at random from all posters and announced here the next day. (In other words, it's not a literary contest— we're not judging your entry, whatever you post gets you into the drawing. Sorry, US and Canada posters only for the prize due to rights issues, but we'll be happy to hear from everybody all the same.)

So please join me in taking the "Watch That Movie Night" pledge and announcing your choice over the coming days. Then be prepared for a great movie you might never have watched otherwise, and lots of interesting posts from NitrateVillains. If you've lurked but never posted before, what better way to make your first post than by joining in today!

So what's my "Watch That Movie!" movie choice? It's... the Marcel Pagnol trilogy, Marius, Fanny and Cesar, released some years ago by Kino. I watched Marius... and never got to the other two. So keeping with last year's very-long-French-films theme, I'm finally going to watch it all back to back this year.

Here's the link to the first Watch that Movie Night thread, and the second, the third, the fourth and the fifth. Check 'em out-- there's lots of great commentary in them.

Now, what will your choice be? Tell us!
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Brooksie

Re: Watch That Movie Night 2014— Win Kino Releases

Unread post by Brooksie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Wowee, is it really that time of year again? :shock:

My Great Pile of Unwatched is still sitting over on the other side of the world, but I WILL find some way of participating!

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:03 pm

I don't have any unwatched dvds. I'll have to wait until Grapevine sends the next shipment.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Derwiddian

Unread post by Derwiddian » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:05 am

I'll go with The Trail of the Axe, a 1922 Dustin Farnum feature about which I know nothing other than it occupies space as a second feature on a cheaply produced DVD.

David Alp

Unread post by David Alp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:49 pm

I am in the UK... I want to take part... So please please please will you let me do the following!! I have lots of family in the US, my partner has THREE cousins!!! Dottie, Sunny and Gloria!! Can I enter the draw and then if I win have the blu-ray sent to my cousin, and she will then: find a way/use our own transportation/cover all postage costs (and take all the risk of it being opened by customs and having to pay duty on it) etc, ourselves?? Like a "family arrangement"... :) Honestly I won't land you in it... I will take full responsibility if I win.... Plus its my birthday on January 27th and I'm gonna be 45, and I'm not looking forward to it!

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:01 pm

I'll watch THE LATE MATHIAS PASCAL.
Eric Stott

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Let's just say that the prizes can be sent to any US/Canada address, what happens to them after that is not our concern... but what's your movie?
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm

I seem to do this every year. I have three Grapevine videos that I bought in December 2012 and January 2013, and haven't seen yet, so do I watch DANCING MOTHERS, VENUS OF THE SOUTH SEAS, or FEEL MY PULSE?

Hmmm decisions, decisions
- Rosemary

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Watch DANCING MOTHERS - Pauline Frederick is superb.
Eric Stott

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:10 pm

I'll go with the Edition Filmmuseum Asta Nielsen set.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

wms4silents

Unread post by wms4silents » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 pm

I will watch Loving the Classics disc of Under Two Flags…1922…Priscilla Dean and James Kirkwood

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 am

I got the blu ray of The Uninvited for Christmas, so I'll watch that.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

Rob Farr

Unread post by Rob Farr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:40 am

Going to watch "Upstream". And probably the other shorts on the New Zealand set.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

Daveismyhero

Unread post by Daveismyhero » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:42 pm

This sounds like a great excuse for me to watch the dusty copy of The Generalthat I have been sitting on for over a year, so kindly sign me up for that!

Dave
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

David Alp

Unread post by David Alp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 pm

Oh thank you so much!!!!!! :D

I will watch my Blu-ray of "NOSFERATU". I've had it since Christmas day and STILL haven't watched it!!! :oops: What's wrong with me??? Why do I have this passion for buying movies and then never watching them??? It's unreal! I've got a five pack of 5 Alice Faye movies, and I've only watched one of them; and I've had the collection for about 6 years now! (Oh, I did happen to watch "Hollywood Cavalcade" as mentioned on another thread)...

Do we have to say what movie we want on bluray if we win??? And is it only those 3 titles at the top of the page?

David Alp

Unread post by David Alp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Sorry that was a bit rude of me saying "Only those 3 titles".... I do apologise. If I win I would pick the KINO release of "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" with Barrymore. I've been holding off of that title because I've been eagerly waiting for them to find a 35mm original nitrate copy of the film; but since that seems as if its never going to happen I will enjoy the 16mm version for now... :wink:

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:14 pm

Two years ago I bought "West of Zanzibar" at a Monster Bash around Pittsburgh. It still sits on the shelf wrapped. I have meant to watch it many times, but have not yet done so. Now is the perfect opportunity. Please count me in.

ColemanShedman

Unread post by ColemanShedman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 pm

I'm ashamed to admit it but I've never watched The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Will rectify that on the 24th. I have the KINO version...which score do you recommend, the Donald Sosin or the Rainer Viertlböck?

augustinius

Unread post by augustinius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:03 am

I never got all the way through the Preston Sturges box so I will select The Palm Beach Story.

rudyfan

Unread post by rudyfan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 am

I'll watch Stella Dallas (1925) which I just received
http://www.rudolph-valentino.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://nitanaldi.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.dorothy-gish.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:12 pm

augustinius wrote:I never got all the way through the Preston Sturges box so I will select The Palm Beach Story.
My favourite Preston Sturges film. Mary Astor is a scream ... enjoy! :)

I've got a big backlog of pre-Codes, and given that I'm still trying to make it through Barbara Stanwyck and the Complete History of the Whole World (still going ... slowly), I'm going to go with Ladies They Talk About (1933).

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:22 pm

I have two copies of The Primitive Lover with Constance Talmadge, Harrison Ford and Kenneth Harlan. One I purchased when Unknown Video went out of business, the other was just purchased by mistake from Alpha. I must really want to see this movie, so I will watch one and compare the other one to it.

Rick

DavidWelling

Unread post by DavidWelling » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:17 pm

I still have not gotten around to watching City Girl from the Murnau Borzage Fox box set, so now is a good time. If time permits, I might also try to squeeze in Kean (1924)

ClarenceE

Unread post by ClarenceE » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:49 am

The Marx Brothers' The Big Store, after avoiding it like the plague for all these years. I found the (tiny) pleasures of Night in Casablanca, maybe there's a couple of moments worth my while.

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:01 am

Brooksie wrote:
augustinius wrote:I never got all the way through the Preston Sturges box so I will select The Palm Beach Story.
My favourite Preston Sturges film. Mary Astor is a scream ... enjoy! :)
Ditto on the favorite Sturges film--Rudy Vallee is also drop dead funny. Everyone needs a Wienie King at least once in their life. Hope we haven't oversold it for you.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

Amigojose

Unread post by Amigojose » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:00 pm

I have a blu of Keaton's College that I have yet to finish. Never watched my blu of The Navigator either! I'll go with one of them!

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:39 pm

I've got a disc of a 1937 drama with Spencer Tracy & Gladys George, They Gave Him a Gun, which has been on my DVD shelf for at least seven years. (I bought several early Tracy flicks from a dealer, who threw this one in as a bonus.) Word of mouth on it isn't the greatest, but I guess I'm ready to take a look at it. Plus, going in with low expectations always helps.
-- Charlie Morrow

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:02 am

Okay, we've got about 20 signed up so far, but let's beat last year's record which had 23 reviews and entries for the prizes by the end. Those are great odds when we've got three prizes, so if you're one of the many lurkers who's never posted here, all you have to do is take the Watch That Movie Night pledge now, announce what you're going to watch and then watch it next weekend and tell us about it. Who knows, you might like posting here, and in any case you'll be qualified for one of our three prizes courtesy of Kino. Here's what the reviews have to say about these releases:

NOSFERATU

"This is quite simply the best Nosferatu has ever looked on home video. As a film in the public domain, it's seen numerous releases by less-than- reputable distributors using thrice-duped, badly tinted, and poorly mastered prints. Kino-Lorber has aimed for a more definitive presentation, using an original print and attempting to stay true to the film's intended appearance... Specks and scratches still remain throughout, but the print's grain structure is preserved, with no signs of adverse noise reduction or edge enhancement. Detail is massively improved from previous editions—with finer textures and sharper lines all around—and both the contrast and color tinting are balanced perfectly. This edition is by far the best way to appreciate Nosferatu's stunning visuals." —Blu-Ray.com

COLLEGE

"Another fine entry for Buster Keaton is also another fine release in Kino's Keaton library. The College: Ultimate Edition upgrade dusts off the 1927 silent, remastering the whole thing in HD from original 35mm archives, to showcase this sports-based comedy for the 21st Century. Since College starred Keaton at his peak, it's no surprise that it's incredibly funny. College is a slapstick classic and a worthy addition to any home video library." —DVDTalk.com

DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE

From Kino's press release (no reviews yet):

Kino Classics is proud to announce the Blu-ray and DVD release of the landmark 1920 silent horror classic DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, adapted from the timeless Robert Louis Stevenson story and starring the great John Barrymore in a memorable performance as the scientist who is tempted to explore the dark side of his personality lurking beneath his respected and civilized surface.Set to street on January 28, 2014, this edition of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE comes to Blu-ray and DVD mastered in HD from archival 35mm elements with color tinting. This edition includes five minutes of footage missing from the previous Kino International DVD release of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE. The SRP for the Blu-ray is $34.95, and the SRP for the DVD is $29.95. The film is accompanied by a musical score compiled by Rodney Sauer, performed by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra.

frostwing

Unread post by frostwing » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi, i think i will watch the grapevine video the perfect clown with larry semon. Plus the short MOVE ALONG (1925) with Lloyd Hamilton.

Mitch Farish

Unread post by Mitch Farish » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:05 am

I've had the Criterion DVD of Children of Paradise for way more than a year and haven't watched it yet. That will be my choice.