Lost Bille Dove Film Found! Being Restored!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Gagman 66

Lost Bille Dove Film Found! Being Restored!

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:40 am

:shock: Wow, Big breaking Billie news on her Birthday which is today May 14th! Our good pal Hugh Munro Neely reports this morning that a long lost 1927 film of her's THE STOLEN BRIDE Directed by Alexander Korda, has been found and is actually even being restored as we speak! He has posted a couple of captures. Hugh is of course the guy who found Colleen Moore's HER WILD OAT (1927), and Dolores Del Rio's RAMONA (1928) in the Czech archive at Prague!

Quote from Face book Silent film group. : "Happy Birthday Billie! And given that it's your birthday, here's a picture of you from the previously-thought-lost 1927 film "The Stolen Bride." It was taken off the ground glass of a flatbed editor, from a surviving print...so sorry that the quality isn't better. I promise details soon...but,...okay I admit it...I'm having too much fun being coy just at the moment! <big grin> I had meant to save any public word for later, but since it's Billie's birthday... Meanwhile, here's Billie and Lilyan Tashman together, having a little moment of truth between them. Sorry the picture isn't sharper! Meanwhile, here's Billie and Lilyan Tashman together, having a little moment of truth between them. Sorry the picture isn't sharper! Gotta run just now. Back later." - Hugh Munro Neely.

Looks like the captures are not showing up here? I'm not sure why? Code not working? :( Ok the second one is visable but not the first? Trying to fix it.

Last edited by Gagman 66 on Thu May 14, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

silentfilm

Re: Lost Bille Dove Film Found! Being Restored!

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu May 14, 2015 11:23 am

Jeffrey, the first photo is not showing up because the link is bad.

Here are some stills from The Stolen Bride (1927) with Lloyd Hughes and Billie Dove.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Thu May 14, 2015 11:43 am

There is no more exciting news on this site than a presumed lost film being found and restored. Thanks for posting.

Matthew

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:48 am

:D Awesome stills Bruce. I never saw the second one before! Thanks. Expected this to be a hot topic, along with SEVEN SINNERS being found only a few weeks ago. Any update on the British Silent LOVE, LIFE AND LAUGHTER (1923) the big find of about a year ago? Or how about Colleen Moore's NAUGHTY BUT NICE?

Michael O'Regan

Unread post by Michael O'Regan » Thu May 14, 2015 1:44 pm

mwalls wrote:There is no more exciting news on this site than a presumed lost film being found and restored. Thanks for posting.

Matthew
I agree. Fantastic news, as always.
:D

entredeuxguerres

Unread post by entredeuxguerres » Thu May 14, 2015 4:33 pm

mwalls wrote:There is no more exciting news on this site than a presumed lost film being found and restored.

Matthew
True, true, but exciting-er would be it's availability on DVD.

Javier

Unread post by Javier » Thu May 14, 2015 7:44 pm

Yeah!
The screen-caps give themselves to a very promising storyline.

Having Billie Dove, Lilyan Tashman and Lloyd Hughes together in this film, judging by the stills makes my mouth water to see it.
And this being Alexander Korda's first American film, makes it an important find.

Thank you Jeff for this news. :D
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Javier,

:o I didn't realize that it was Korda's very first American film! That's definitely noteworthy. Maybe just maybe we will finally get a Billie Dove Silent debuting on TCM before to long? Now has anyone got an update on NAUGHTY BUT NICE?

rogerskarsten

Unread post by rogerskarsten » Fri May 15, 2015 9:54 am

That's great news that the film is going to be restored, but it wasn't exactly lost. In fact, in this thread about Billie Dove from six years ago (and started by Gagman), Harold compiled a list of her surviving silents and it is among them, with the Czech archive listed as the holding institution.

~Roger

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Fri May 15, 2015 11:11 am

Here's one more of Lloyd Hughes (left) from the same film.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Fri May 15, 2015 11:26 am

Great news. I bet lots of goodies lurk in the Prague archive..... Did this copy have Czech intertitles??
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
blog: https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Fri May 15, 2015 11:31 am

Yes, in his post, Hugh mentioned that Czech intertitles. Hopefully there is a script, cutting continuity or censor records somewhere with the original titles.