Long-lost Mary Pickford short film FOUND !!!!!!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Silencebound

Long-lost Mary Pickford short film FOUND !!!!!!

Unread post by Silencebound » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:48 pm

While I'm still working on my 22nd founded film project titled "Les Suicides Par Persuasion", I have found a very-long lost 35mm Nitrate film print of Mary Pickford's 1911 short classic "PICTURELAND" ( USA - 1911 - 10 mins) in Japan and finally arrived and resurfaced right here in Australia. It came from USA film company called 'Independent Moving Pictures, Co of America' that it has shown fully on the bottom of each survived English intertitles. That film is very highly-significant finding, which it is almost completed print ever survived. This film is lost until it resurfaced right on my hand. It is in very good condition with few decomposed brownish spots at end of the film but it won't affect the other frames just because the brown spots is very small and dry. It came with oldest and rusted Fuji-brand reel can and wooden film holder which hasn't been existed nowadays. There have more than 30 cement-splicing throughout the 1000ft roll. Dispute that I haven't gotta my time to scan it for closer proof presentation due to midst operative of the 22nd project that I'm in on it, but here's just two pixs right here. :)

This film was directed by great Thomas Ince, who his other film with Mary Pickford in their another 1911 film "Their First Misunderstanding" in shorten version which has been shown in Youtube. Dispute the film "Pictureland" was left and being forgetten in Japan alone until I searching for any significant films awaiting to be discovered, and then this one ! Very luckily, this film only gotta unscathed intertitles in English - without Japanese translation - as I can describe all the twelve intertitles from this film :-

PICTURELAND ( released in USA on 20th February, 1911 )

1 :- OFF TO WORK

2 :- THE STORY, PABLO AND ROSITA ARE SWEETHEARTS

3 :- ROSITA FALLS IN LOVE WITH THE TOURIST

4 :- THE SAME EVENING

5 :- ROSITA'S DREAM

6 :- PABLO SEES HIS SWEETHEART KISSED BY ANOTHER

7 :- HER AWAKENING

8 :- LATER

9 :- MARRIED & HAPPY

10 :- THEIR DAYS WORK DONE

11 :- TAKE A COCA-NUT WITH YOU

12 :- BACK TO THE STUDIO

That's all. Unfortunately, the newly-discovered film has no main title and ending, but I got it all by identified the film from IMDB that connected the characters' names, that capped it all. If you have any further information about this discovery, then just pop-in your opinion(s) here. :D
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/" target="_blank and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

Murnau

Re: Long-lost Mary Pickford short film FOUND !!!!!!

Unread post by Murnau » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:40 am

Excellent news!

_Devoid_

Unread post by _Devoid_ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:51 am

This made my day.
Awesome.

Tastypotpie

Unread post by Tastypotpie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:43 am

Can we get a pic of Pickford?

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:39 am

Great news! Thank you so much for the news.

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:45 am

Yes, there's Mary Pickford but only mainly in 'Long-shot' appearance as it was shot in 1911, before D.W.Griffith made his filmmaking techniques with medium-shot and close-up. I will try to scan the pics with her in the film, especially slightly close-up but maybe not. So please stay tuned, mates ! :o
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/" target="_blank and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

bobfells

Unread post by bobfells » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:38 am

Amazing find - we never know what will turn up. Out of curiosity and just for fun, I wanted to get a better look at the frames so I ran it through Photoshop:

A poster on imdb has added some new info recently including King Baggot as Mary's leading man, Pablo. Tony Gaudio is the cinematographer. One of Carl Laemmle's IMP films, it was released on Feb 20, 1911, and was apparently the first IMP filmed that year in Cuba. Here's a summary from a trade paper of the day courtesy of imdb:

The actors arrive in a motor car, and are welcomed to the hotel by the boniface and his assistants. The Americans admire the surroundings, and are agreeably surprised at what they see, and the cordial welcome extended to them. All the well-known "Imp" stars appear in traveling costume, which is their first formal introduction in proper personae, an innovation which will be welcomed by their many admirers. In the next scene they sally forth to engage in the work of producing a picture. The producer heads the force, with the camera men in evidence, a jolly party of folks who depict "Imp" pictures in pantomime.

Then comes the story, a beautiful Cuban romance. Pablo, of humble origin, loves Rosita, a beautiful maiden, and is apparently prospering in his love affair, when a stranger appears on the scene, Wallace Crawford, an American tourist, who evidently finds time hanging heavily on his hands. Crawford rides up to the home of Rosita and asks for a drink. He is quick to note the lovely face and graceful curves of the Cuban girl, and resolves to meet her again. He rides away and Rosita, forgetting Pablo, looks with altogether too much concern after the visitor. Pablo call with his guitar and, as is his wont, played to the girl, who, seated beside him, allowed her thoughts to wander from the scene and dwell on the tourist. Lulled to sleep by the soft tones of the instrument Rosita dreams, and her dream is depicted on the screen. In her dreams she meets Crawford, who is an adept in the art of charming unsophisticated women. He attempts to caress her, but is repulsed. Knowing the longing of women for finery, he produces rare jewels and adorns the girl with a rich necklace, which she admires. She is won, and is in his arms. The pair move away, Crawford leading his horse.

They are detected in their clandestine love-making by Pablo, who summons her parents. Rosita, in her innocence, thinks Crawford means honorably by her, and she directs his steps to the church and asks the priest to unite them in marriage. Crawford had not reckoned on this phase of his, to him, harmless love affair, and he declines. He is attacked by Pablo, and only the intervention of the Holy Father saves the life of the faithless American. During the struggle Rosita awakens to find it all a dream. She is contrite, and the drama closes with the venerable Father uniting Rosita and Pablo in marriage. The actors are then seen returning to the hostelry, where they reappear clad in their street habiliments, only to leave in a motorcar; their work of producing the picture being finished. The film closes with a rare tropical scene peculiar to Cuba.

- Written by The Moving Picture News
Official Biographer of Mr. Arliss

http://www.ArlissArchives.com" target="_blank
http://www.OldHollywoodinColor.com" target="_blank
https://www.Facebook.com/groups/413487728766029/" target="_blank

BankofAmericasSweetheart

Unread post by BankofAmericasSweetheart » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:50 pm

OH WOW HOW AMAZING!!
"It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talkies instead of the other way around." - MP

Turpinutz

Unread post by Turpinutz » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Hope you'll let us know if Ben Turpin's in this one with the other IMPsters.

Congrats - and thanks - for finding another RARE IMP.

– Steve Rydzewski

Ned Thanhouser

Unread post by Ned Thanhouser » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Fantastic!! Congrats!

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:36 am

Many thanks for your wonderful amazing instincts at my new finding. :D I have got my free time to scan some selective photos directly from the discovered 35mm film print of "PICTURELAND". The picture adjustment from my Epson scanner has worked out very nicely to gives you all the better inspection, especially to see the clearer images of Mary Pickford. Sorry, I don't see Ben Turpin there. Well, let's have a close-up-and-personal looking at them below :-

1. Start of the film 'Pictureland'.

2. I think that they're carrying some film-related materials.

3. First intertitle. Note that 'IMP' is shown below of this screen.

4. Is she a Mary Pickford ? She's at far left of this scene.

5. Second intertitle.

6. Rosita ( Mary Pickford ) cooing at him . . .

7. Third intertitle.

8. The other guy on horse is greeting at them.

9. Fourth intertitle.

10. Does they have their plan to elope, or . . .

11. . . . just stuckin' themselves on seats to hear the music from his mandolin ?

Above pictures came from the first 350ft roll but haven't got time to scan the rest of the film due to my time strain involded on the overlong-awaiting great 22nd film project. I presumedly that all the scenes is very-static photographed ( it's 1911, as you knew why ) and rather too long takes that I checked every shots out of it. Few of scenes probably be over two minutes long on a single take, as meaning that the film is kinda stage-y presentation. If the crystal-clearer pix of Pickford doesn't help you to ID her well, then maybe there's other pixs might leads you to grant yourselves at her facial expressions status that Pickford has been encountered before, for instance. Her face is rather bit different away from her actual early films appearance, but it's problem that this film has no medium-shot or less than that. Too bad. Enjoy your investigation at this special film classic. :)

LouieD

Unread post by LouieD » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:16 am

Doesn't look anything like Mary Pickford to me.

BankofAmericasSweetheart

Unread post by BankofAmericasSweetheart » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:19 am

Okay I'm confused, the lady in the frames doesn't look like Mary Pickford to me. Are you sure she's in this film?
"It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talkies instead of the other way around." - MP

Rob

Unread post by Rob » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Definitely NOT Mary Pickford in those frame emlargements.

Rob McKay

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:06 pm

People have seen Pickford in frames from where they are supposed to be in the studio carrying film cans around. She wasn't yet a big star at IMP and might have been in a small role.
Eric Stott

eidoloscope

Unread post by eidoloscope » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:31 pm

The actress in photo 6 is certainly not Mary Pickford, but is most likely Isabel Rea, the IMP Company's other leading actress at the time. Also, the frame captures clearly show Joseph Smiley in several shots - he's the man with the white trousers and dark jacket in photos 2 (foreground) and 4 (background) - as well as King Baggott (seen most clearly in photo 6). At the time of the Cuba trip, Smiley headed the Baggott unit, while Thomas Ince worked with Mary Pickford (though they did very occasionally switch units, as in the case of THE PENNILESS PRINCE, a Baggott/Rea film directed by Ince and released 3/23/1911). Finally, the actor on horseback in photo 8 looks very much like Hayward Mack, who worked in both units. So, all the evidence points to the fact that this is neither a Pickford, nor an Ince film, but an original release print of a Joseph Smiley-directed IMP film from the company's Cuba sojourn - and is an even rarer find for that fact.

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Oh yeah ?!? Well, I will search for more frames concerning Mary Pickford after the first 350ft to find the rest of remaining frames to get her. Yep, it's nearly 1,000ft long but certainly she should be in it far away dispute it's very small role on her. Please give me time to work this out. TA. :(

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Still, two King Baggot films turning up within the space of a month is pretty cool. Or is this the one from the skip?

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:31 pm

To sum it up, I have carefully checked out at all actor's faces that that connected with their names from this uploaded photos. Some does matched to their names with this one, but this film ? The other survived copy of the film "The Penniless Prince" ( USA - 1911 ) is in The Library of Congress in Washington D.C., with IMDB's author's typed this detailed synopsis :-

"The Penniless Prince finds the title character (King Baggot) unemployed in Cuba, finding work on the Lopez Tobacco Plantation. Even as a field hand, royal blood makes him still gallant to his coworkers. This arouses the ire of Inez Lopez, who has a false letter sent claiming that he has been called home, in order to humiliate him. Dolores (Isabel Rea), a field hand who has benefited from the prince's kindness, sells her long, beautiful hair to gain the money for the prince to return. Meanwhile, the German embassy has told him the disillusioning truth. Later, however, an authentic note comes for the prince asking him to return, and Inez is truly scorned when the prince selects the virtuous Dolores to be his princess. As I outline in my Thomas Ince biography, at the time he had been sent by Imp with Baggot, and Mary Pickford, to shoot on location in Cuba, spinning stories from the area."

Is she an Isabel Rea who casted as 'Dolores', and the background featuring the tobacco fields ? More looks like it. But I will continues to track some more frames to ID it and have them uploaded to this page later this tonight, although that there's no character names of Pablo and Rosita in the film "The Penniless Prince" as IMDB says that their characters' names actually only belonged in the film "Pictureland" - See the intertitles to gives the main evidence. Come on, let's plead at LoC to upload the film "Penniless Prince" here or at YT ! Well, thanks to eidoloscope for his nice finding at that film "The Penniless Prince". Do you know anything bit more about this and that, doctor-kiss ? :o

BankofAmericasSweetheart

Unread post by BankofAmericasSweetheart » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi, please don't be offended by this but please don't worry if it has Mary Pickford in it or not.

I am curious if you are a professional AV archivist? If not, and again please don't be offended, instead of looking at it over and over again, going by IMDB, and posting photographs of it on nitrateville and the like, maybe you can send it to someone who is able to properly I.D. this film and give it a proper evaluation on it's condition?

I am sure the archive you send it to will give you the proper credit for rediscovering the print and perhaps it can be placed in a well air conditioned vault so it won't deteriorate any further.

This is a great discovery and I can't wait till it's safe and hopefully restored.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Information about the plot of "THE PENNILESS PRINCE" deleted by the author.

Rick
Last edited by Rick Lanham on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:20 am

Yeah !! Big thanks to bobfells, this is the exactly the 100% correct film called "Pictureland", not "The Penniless Prince" ! See the matching synopsis that he submitted here ( See up above of his post ). Although there's no Mary Pickford, or very little if spotted her carefully, but everything I found in the whole 35mm Nitrate film is fully matched to same synopsis that I has checked carefully and accepted it without hesitation. Congratulations to bobfells ! :D

( Tenth intertitle.)

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:39 am

I apologize for being dense, but now I am confused as to exactly what was found, and if it has anything to do with Mary Pickford. Can someone please connect the dots?

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:07 am

Distint difference in quality from these "photo transfer". Impressive.

1. Start of the film 'Pictureland'.

The quality of the scan and the image of sprocket holes the indicates it's very probably a original print.
The scratchs appers from the print itself, and coud mostly go away with wetgate.

Did you used a very professional scanner ?
I know prints from 1910's wasn't very sharp, but the abrasions in the sides of this print don't look pinsharp in yopu scans.
No offence, you did great. :D
Last edited by All Darc on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep thinking...

eidoloscope

Unread post by eidoloscope » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 am

My apologies if I was misunderstood - I did not mean to suggest that the film that Silencebound found is THE PENNILESS PRINCE, but that that film is simply an example of an Ince-directed Cuba film that did not feature Mary Pickford. The film being discussed here is most definitely PICTURELAND, an attribution I accepted quite readily, and without further comment, based on the frame captures in the initial posts, as well as Bob Fells' citation from MPW (by way of IMDB). I simply wanted to confirm the identities of certain players in the photos, provide some historical context, and make the point that this film is an important find and needs to be preserved photochemically, so as to ensure its long-term survival. It should find an archival home as soon as possible.

So, we all owe Silencebound a debt of gratitude. Congratulations on a great find, and on some solid research!

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:25 am

Rosita was indeed Pickford 's character in Pictureland.

What about send these scans to The Pickford foundation?

http://marypickford.org/filmography/pictureland/" target="_blank
Keep thinking...

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:44 am

Yes, they at Pickford Foundation just have already heard about this. I've received their e-mails and congratulated me. I will do the scanning ALL the frames ( about 10,000+ ) out of 1,000ft roll of "Pictureland", but will take hellva long time to do it unless if I acquired a good fast-scanning digital Canon scanner, not slowest analogue device which takes about two mins to have it fully scanned on each frame and uploaded on hard drive. Well, the other film that I'm working on is "Les Suicides Par Persuasion" that comes first. :wink:

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:46 am

eidoloscope wrote:My apologies if I was misunderstood - I did not mean to suggest that the film that Silencebound found is THE PENNILESS PRINCE, but that that film is simply an example of an Ince-directed Cuba film that did not feature Mary Pickford. The film being discussed here is most definitely PICTURELAND, an attribution I accepted quite readily, and without further comment, based on the frame captures in the initial posts, as well as Bob Fells' citation from MPW (by way of IMDB). I simply wanted to confirm the identities of certain players in the photos, provide some historical context, and make the point that this film is an important find and needs to be preserved photochemically, so as to ensure its long-term survival. It should find an archival home as soon as possible.

So, we all owe Silencebound a debt of gratitude. Congratulations on a great find, and on some solid research!

Thank you !

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:48 am

Will you donate the film for preservation?
Keep thinking...

sepiatone

Unread post by sepiatone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:07 pm

In the fourth still the woman in the center with the black shawl(being wind blown) most certainly looks to be Pickford, with her hair dark. She's just not with the curls you all are expecting. Pickford was probably playing a more womanly role rather than the girlish damsels she played at Biograph. No offense to the OP, but he may not clearly recognize Pickford without the curls though the title would suggest a Pickford appearance if she's supposed to be in the film.

I just finished enlarging the #4 frame and that's Pickford! You can run your mouse over the frame(using Google preferably) , right click, and send to your desktop. Then enlarge the photo. Ah the wonders of the internet. :wink: