Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Currently on Filmstruck:

Pabst: The Love of Jeanne Ney, Secrets of a Soul
Ozu: about a dozen silents including I Was Born, But, An Inn at Tokyo and more
Milestone: The Racket, Two Arabian Knights
Garbo: Torrent, The Temptress, Love, A Woman of Affairs and others
Hitchcock: The Lodger, Downhill, The Manxman

I keep buying blu-rays, but it's hard not to think of this as the future.
“Méliès is the OG.” —Liam Gebert

Thad Komorowski

Unread post by Thad Komorowski » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:27 pm

It may be the future, but that doesn't make it right. Streaming is fine as an alternative for television on-demand, but it isn't for home video. It just puts even more control in the hands of the rights holders and distributors. Consumers should always have the option to own a movie to watch when they want to and how often. When FilmStruck decides to purge some movies unavailable on DVD to save space, then what other option do we have? (I'm kinda sure the difference in numbers of people who just want to "sample" a silent movie v. actually buy it is negligible, too.)

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Here's the thing. The two Pabst talkies I just watched-- they're not that good. They have interesting moments, and shine an interesting sidelight on a semi-obscure (not to us, but even to your average Tarantino-Scorsese-Coen Bros. "film buff") career, is the best you can say for them.

Even I don't want to own them. But this was a chance to catch them, like a lot of other one-off screenings in my life. That used to be catching minor Hollywood product on the local TV channel at 10 pm; now it means catching minor French studio product on Filmstruck at my leisure.

When I say "the future" I don't mean that it will replace collecting blu-rays of good things. Hell, I bought A Matter of Life and Death right after. But I think it's a great new (to me) way to see a lot of things I wouldnt see otherwise. So, a net positive, as is my new von Sternberg and Dietrich set; as will be the films I see at Capitolfest in a couple of weeks.

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:40 pm

I prefer to watch Filmoteca online, which is free.

I'm not doing it this week due to some complications at home that the time it airs although this week they are showing Argentine films that are probably to be online also for free anyway.

buskeat

Unread post by buskeat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:50 am

I love FilmStruck. I can't own EVERY movie. I have a mortgage and I have to eat. But it's a great way to see films I would otherwise not ever have a chance to see. One of the best series in this vein was a series of French Films during the Occupation they had earlier this year. Saw some really fascinating Continental Films like Christian-Jaque's L'Assassinat du père Noël. I think they're featuring the doc Hitler's Hollywood later this year with a curated selection of films. It's sort of like my new Blockbuster, an online film festival and a new TCM all in one.

I will never have cable or satellite again, and it's proven especially in the last few months to be a more than adequate replacement.

Mike Gebert wrote:Here's the thing. The two Pabst talkies I just watched-- they're not that good. They have interesting moments, and shine an interesting sidelight on a semi-obscure (not to us, but even to your average Tarantino-Scorsese-Coen Bros. "film buff") career, is the best you can say for them.

Even I don't want to own them. But this was a chance to catch them, like a lot of other one-off screenings in my life. That used to be catching minor Hollywood product on the local TV channel at 10 pm; now it means catching minor French studio product on Filmstruck at my leisure.

When I say "the future" I don't mean that it will replace collecting blu-rays of good things. Hell, I bought A Matter of Life and Death right after. But I think it's a great new (to me) way to see a lot of things I wouldnt see otherwise. So, a net positive, as is my new von Sternberg and Dietrich set; as will be the films I see at Capitolfest in a couple of weeks.

Daniel Eagan

Unread post by Daniel Eagan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:08 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Here's the thing. The two Pabst talkies I just watched-- they're not that good. They have interesting moments, and shine an interesting sidelight on a semi-obscure (not to us, but even to your average Tarantino-Scorsese-Coen Bros. "film buff") career, is the best you can say for them.

Even I don't want to own them.
Streaming is the direction studios and distributors and content owners want to take. The filmmakers I've interviewed about it are uniformly unhappy about that, but resigned at the same time.

What bothers me the most is streaming's degraded visual quality. The whole point of Blu-ray was enhanced visuals. Plus the opportunity to provide extras (alternate soundtracks, directors' cuts, paraphenalia, ephemera). That disappears with streaming, which in some cases doesn't even arrive in the proper aspect ratio.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 am

But I don't see it as one or the other. Vinyl is all over at the same time as everybody buys from iTunes and restaurants all play Pandora. Blu-rays are becoming a specialty collector item for the film buff, while streaming services become the new way to catch things casually. Yes, some things that would have come out don't— there doesn't seem to be a blu-ray of The Death of Stalin, for some reason— but for me it's mostly a win-win, and the quality of streaming that I see is very high.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 am

As I noted elsewhere, the new licensing agreements with Turner are for broadcast on TCM and for streaming on FilmStruck. When I asked about streaming for older agreements, I was told TCM is not (at this time) going into retroactive mode. This may be selective, but since I don't get TCM and have never really looked at the FilmStruck site, I have no idea what kind of inventory they have ready for streaming.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Thad Komorowski

Unread post by Thad Komorowski » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:44 am

I don't like the idea of the rightsholders having even more control over the content.

Want to watch that series/short/movie again at a later time? Too bad - it's gone.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Thad Komorowski wrote:I don't like the idea of the rightsholders having even more control over the content.

Want to watch that series/short/movie again at a later time? Too bad - it's gone.
One of the primary reasons that I want a hard copy. Streaming has its place as a "preview" - watch it once, see whether you do or don't want to buy a copy - fine for that, but I want a real copy of something that I plan to watch again.

Mitch Farish

Unread post by Mitch Farish » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:02 pm

buskeat wrote:I love FilmStruck. I can't own EVERY movie. I have a mortgage and I have to eat. But it's a great way to see films I would otherwise not ever have a chance to see. One of the best series in this vein was a series of French Films during the Occupation they had earlier this year. Saw some really fascinating Continental Films like Christian-Jaque's L'Assassinat du père Noël. I think they're featuring the doc Hitler's Hollywood later this year with a curated selection of films. It's sort of like my new Blockbuster, an online film festival and a new TCM all in one.

I will never have cable or satellite again, and it's proven especially in the last few months to be a more than adequate replacement.
Ah, but one person's ephemeral viewing experience is another person's indispensable item. Wouldn't it be a shame if the 4K restoration of The Man Who Laughs never made it to disc, but was only available for streaming for a while and then disappeared?

buskeat

Unread post by buskeat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Mitch Farish wrote:
buskeat wrote:I love FilmStruck. I can't own EVERY movie. I have a mortgage and I have to eat. But it's a great way to see films I would otherwise not ever have a chance to see. One of the best series in this vein was a series of French Films during the Occupation they had earlier this year. Saw some really fascinating Continental Films like Christian-Jaque's L'Assassinat du père Noël. I think they're featuring the doc Hitler's Hollywood later this year with a curated selection of films. It's sort of like my new Blockbuster, an online film festival and a new TCM all in one.

Ah, but one person's ephemeral viewing experience is another person's indispensable item. Wouldn't it be a shame if the 4K restoration of The Man Who Laughs never made it to disc, but was only available for streaming for a while and then disappeared?
True, but I think FilmStruck and physical media can co-exist just fine. I think any negativity regarding the service comes from the assumption that it's a replacement. It is not. The majority of films on FilmStruck come from Warner Bros. and the Criterion Collection and both companies are still releasing hundreds of Blu-Rays and DVDs every year. But not *everything* can be released on disc. I'd much rather have access to more films than less films. Both FilmStruck and disc can live together.

Thad Komorowski

Unread post by Thad Komorowski » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Not everything can be on a Blu-Ray disc. Replication costs indeed make that option very prohibitive, so companies are understandably selective. Same with restoration costs.

Just DVDs on the other hand... With the amount of outright garbage being released, especially through MOD, I think there's a strong argument that everything can be released on disc.

Scoundrel

Unread post by Scoundrel » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:50 pm

" One of the primary reasons that I want a hard copy. Streaming has its place as a "preview" - watch it once, see whether you do or don't want to buy a copy - fine for that, but I want a real copy of something that I plan to watch again..."

DITTO.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:51 pm

I own way too many DVDs and blu-rays (and laserdiscs and at one time, Beta tapes) to not have the collecting bug, yet the fact is, many viewings are one offs by necessity. I remember the first time I saw William K. Everson at the Film Center of the Art Institute (now the Siskel Center) and he showed 14 B movies in one weekend. Of those, 20+ years later, I own a copy of one (Dr. Broadway, Anthony Mann's first film), have had numerous chances to buy another (Fear in the Night with DeForest Kelley), and saw a second screening of one at Cinesation (Wild Money, with Edward Everett Horton). The rest are gone with the wind and all those other Paramount titles Everson snagged on their way to some TV station's dumpster.

Some things, you just see and that was your chance. It would be cool to live in a world where La torre de los siete jorobados was available to me, but that obscure Spanish film passed my way once many years ago, and likewise, John Gregson in Value For Money, shown in an IB Tech print at Cinevent this year, will likely never pass my way again. Lucky me, to have known them once. I think that's just reality-- and part of the fun; it is a fact that collecting books ceased being as delightful as it was as a pursuit, once you could go to Abebooks.com and find anything. Buñuel wrote in his autobiography of how much a symphony orchestra coming to town was an event of great anticipation, in a way no one can imagine now that we all have our boxes in every room issuing every song in the world. Better? Worse? It's just different. We have the pains of satiation now, instead of the pangs of desire.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:01 pm

I agree with your thoughts, Mike, and there are any number of titles that I don't actually want to own. I've got far too many here that have never been watched, for one thing. My point about streaming vs ownership, and I think we are in agreement here, is that I want to make the choice between them, not have someone else make it for me.

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:49 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:54 pm
I keep buying blu-rays, but it's hard not to think of this as the future.
I get that, and maybe one day when the Thomas the Tank Engine phase has passed and I have a little more free time, I'll check out FilmStruck. I agree that it's good for those "watch once" films and YouTube and the Internet Archive have killed any interest I have in purchasing public domain B-movies. I just hope that we're given an option for physical media. I hate losing control of my own stuff.

nolisome

Unread post by nolisome » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Old Ironsides BluRay available for pre-order on Amazon