Announcing the 3rd Annual Watch That Movie Night!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Announcing the 3rd Annual Watch That Movie Night!

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 pm

It's gray out, there's nothing on TV, the holidays are only a memory around your hips... so it must be time again for the most exciting thing ever to hit the dog days of winter, NitrateVille's own at-home film festival, the 3rd Annual "Watch That Movie!" Night!

If you haven't participated before, here's the idea. We all have movies that we couldn't wait to own— but never seem to get around to watching. They pile up faster than you can keep up with them, it seems. DVD, blu-ray, 16mm, Selectavision— whatever the format, you know you have 'em.

"Watch That Movie!" Night is the time we all take one of those movies from our collections and finally watch it— and tell our fellow NitrateVillains about it, expanding the base of knowledge about what's out there. And if you're game, you have a chance to win another movie on DVD, courtesy of our good friends at Kino— it's their extra-super deluxe most-complete-ever edition of Metropolis, in your choice of standard DVD or Blu-Ray.

Here's how it works:

1. Pick a classic era movie that's been in your collection for at least a year, unwatched. (DVD, VHS, 16mm, 9.5mm, whatever you have.)

2. Announce your choice in this thread.

3. Watch it on (or around) Friday, January 28th.

4. And post something, anything about it in this thread by midnight, Monday January 31st.

A winner for the Metropolis DVD or blu-ray will be selected at random from all posters by my luck-enhancing children and announced here the next day. (In other words, it's not a literary contest— we're not judging your entry, whatever you post gets you into the drawing. Sorry, US and Canada posters only for the prize due to rights issues, but we'll be happy to hear from everybody all the same.)

So please join me in taking the "Watch That Movie!" Night pledge and announcing your choice over the coming days. Then be prepared for a great movie you might never have watched otherwise, and lots of interesting posts from NitrateVillains. If you've lurked but never posted before, what better way to make your first post than by joining in today!

So what's my "Watch That Movie!" movie choice? It's...

THE CHESS PLAYER

I was thrilled that Milestone put this much-acclaimed Raymond Bernard film out... so thrilled that I promptly filed it between Capitaine Fracasse and Cyrano de Bergerac and never got it out again, apparently. (Even though I really liked Wooden Crosses when Criterion put it out.) So this is the year I'm finally going to watch it.

Here's the link to the first Watch that Movie Night thread, and here's the second. Check 'em out-- there's lots of great commentary in them.

Now, what will your choice be? Tell us!
Last edited by Mike Gebert on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:58 pm

OK, I'll play....my choice is CITY GIRL on blu-ray. I've seen the film many years ago, but this copy (like its cousin in the Murnau-Borzage box) has yet to be watched. So far, it's made it close to the top of a "to watch" pile, so now's as good an excuse as any to open it up.

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 pm

I've still got a couple of the late Borzage films in the Big Box to watch- I think I'll watch "They Had To See Paris" because I like Irene Rich- there's an autographed picture of her on the wall near me as I write this. (I admire Will Rogers' talent but I think he's more of a personality than an actor)
Eric Stott

bobfells

Unread post by bobfells » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 pm

This motivates me to watch FAZIL. It is rather fuzzy looking but it has the movietone track. This lets me kill two birds with one stone because I have the sheet music with the love theme ("Neopolitan Nights") that haven't tried to play yet. Now I'll do both by the end of the month.
Official Biographer of Mr. Arliss

http://www.ArlissArchives.com" target="_blank
http://www.OldHollywoodinColor.com" target="_blank
https://www.Facebook.com/groups/413487728766029/" target="_blank

myrnaloyisdope

Unread post by myrnaloyisdope » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:52 pm

What a great idea. I'm not sure what I'll end up watching. Maybe one of the early Myrna Loy talkies I've yet to watch...The Squall or The Desert Song perhaps?

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:16 am

Looks like I blew it. Just today I finished watching (I spread it out over 3 days) my laserdisc of Ben Hur that I bought for $44.95 in 1988. I've watched parts of it before (the Technicolor sequences in particular), but I can't honestly say I recall ever watching it in toto. But all is not lost; at least now I finally know where "I am Golthar! Golthar the Terrible! What have I to fear from Rome?" comes from.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:20 pm

Well, I've got a nice dvd of AN ITALIAN STRAW HAT sitting around here. Saw it about ten years ago on a mediocre vhs tape. Time to see a clean copy.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

silent-partner

Unread post by silent-partner » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:25 pm

THIS IS MY FAVORITE PART OF THE YEAR!!!
I'm going to unwrap "The Ocean Waif" (1916) and see if I can get through it. Its been sitting there on my shelf for two years.
Since Jan 28th is my birthday and the day of the contest, I shall watch it that night.

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Unwrapping the Ocean Waif...sounds quite naughty
Eric Stott

Chuck W

Unread post by Chuck W » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Hey, I wanna play! I've got two discs from the Warner Archive I still haven't gotten to: OLD SAN FRANCISCO (1927) and A LADY OF CHANCE (1928). Aaaaaaand... judging by my perennial obsession with Anna May Wong (hence the avatar) and Kevin Brownlow's complete evisceration of the film's racial politics, I'll probably wind up going with the former (unless convinced or bullied to do otherwise). I mean, how could I resist the temptation of a lurid and flagrantly insensitive silent melodrama starring Anna May Wong?

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:24 pm

I was hoping that a copy of Fantomas would turn up just in time for this year's contest, but if that doesn't happen i'll go with the copy of Sarah Bernhardt's Camille that just showed up on my desk. Maybe supplemented with something else, since it looks awfully short.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Derwiddian

Unread post by Derwiddian » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 pm

My main problem is figuring out what has been around for at least a year, but at least I know I have some box sets of that vintage I haven't worked through. One of them is cheap Hitchcock set. So I'll pick Young and Innocent (1937).

milefilms

Unread post by milefilms » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:25 pm

I'll watch City Girl and it's homage remake, Days of Heaven both on BluRay.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Chuck W

Unread post by Chuck W » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:15 pm

milefilms wrote:I'll watch City Girl and it's homage remake, Days of Heaven both on BluRay.
Yes! What an amazing double-feature!

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:14 am

I totally forgot that i was saving The Chaser for this occasion, so i'll do that one as well. Harry Langdon and Sarah Bernhardt, that should be quite a double bill.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:35 pm

It will have to be `around' the 28th for me, as I'll be on my way to Hong Kong that day!

Having read the recent thread on it, I think it's definitely time for me to watch the copy I have of Alfred Hitchcock's `Downfall' (1927).

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Is there a decent DVD of Downhill available? (for my commonplace USA region that is)
The one listed on Amazon has only two reviews, both mention a modern Techno score (ick)
Eric Stott

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:26 pm

In prep for watching "They Had to See Paris" I got the box set out and decided to watch "After Tomorrow" (1932) and I'll toss in a capsule review.

Nice little depression melodrama with some comedy and a lot of snappy precode dialogue- some of is pretty shocking. The cast are all in fine form, Charles Farrell is the most relaxed and natural I've ever seen him in a talkie, Marian Nixon is sweet and touching, together they make a lovely couple. At one point they sing at a piano- truly awful but heart breaking in the context. The supporting cast of Mina Gombell, William Collier Sr and a relatively young Josephine Hull are all superb. Borzage's direction moves things along at a good pace, managing to keep interest during the static dialogue scenes by use of interesting compositions and lighting (aided by James Wong Howe's excellent photography). The only flaw is a somewhat improbable deus ex machina plot twist that solves everyone's troubles all at once and makes for a happy ending.

The image quality on the disc is nice- work has been done to make it very steady on screen, though there must have been some damage to the left side of the film in some reels- black shadows waver in and out at times. Sound quality very clear. I'd give it 8 out of 10.
Eric Stott

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:49 am

"Luck-enhancing children"? What the hey! For the Christmas contest, I rubbed their humpbacks, patted their bald heads, tossed their dwarf bodies across the pub, and what luck did all of that get me?

Wait, you say that description doesn't match your kids? Aw, no wonder I lost the contest! I must have been manhandling Mickey Rooney! Or maybe Linda Hunt!

I don't keep DVDs around unwatched longer than a few months, so I'll go with either Chicago or the Jean Renoir box set, both of which I got for Christmas.

Now steer me in the direction of your allegedly luck-enhancing children...

Jim

Ann Harding

Unread post by Ann Harding » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:26 am

FrankFay wrote:Is there a decent DVD of Downhill available? (for my commonplace USA region that is)
The one listed on Amazon has only two reviews, both mention a modern Techno score (ick)
According to Silentera.com, the best version available of Downhill is on a French DVD release of Walzes from Vienna where the film is a supplement. I've read good comments about the music. Sorry, it's not R1!

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:53 am

At present DOWNHILL is viewable in its entirety on YouTube in a passable state with an acceptable synth score. Here's the part with the "World of Make-Believe" sequence- it starts at 3:38:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T2V7YHKkYgo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T2V7YHKkYgo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Eric Stott

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Now steer me in the direction of your allegedly luck-enhancing children...
The problem is, they enhance everyone's luck equally.

Funny how many things so far are things I considered too-- I've got that Renoir set unwatched, I thought about an ancient copy not of Downhill but The Ring that I have, and it's ridiculous that I haven't watched City Girl yet.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

rollot24

Unread post by rollot24 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:55 pm

I'll watch "Sappho" off of Grapevine's the Ladies of the German Cinema release. I've been waiting for just such an occasion.

ymmv

Unread post by ymmv » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm in. I'm gonna watch The Crowd. For some reason I only saw the first half and never got around to seeing the rest. Let's fix that mistake.

DoktorMabuse

Unread post by DoktorMabuse » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm

It looks like Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev - all 205 minutes of it! Courtesy of the fine folks at Criterion.

rudyfan

Unread post by rudyfan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:24 pm

I've had The Blot on my DVD shelf for-ever and have not watched it.

I may do that or bits and pieces from one of the Treasures From American Archives boxed sets.
http://www.rudolph-valentino.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://nitanaldi.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.dorothy-gish.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:14 pm

I'll watch Lonesome.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:54 am

DoktorMabuse wrote:It looks like Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev - all 205 minutes of it! Courtesy of the fine folks at Criterion.
Now that's a schizoid film. It veers from mesmerizingly great to snore-inducing terrible. But stick it out -- the final sequence is emotionally powerful and worth the 205 minutes.

Jim
(seen it 3 times)

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 am

I'll watch BROKEN HEARTS OF BROADWAY.

Shaynes3

Unread post by Shaynes3 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:27 am

Frederica wrote:I'll watch Lonesome.
How?

???

(Inquiring minds, and all that...)
Steve Haynes