New release: INFERNO (1911) from Cineteca Bologna

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
rogerskarsten

New release: INFERNO (1911) from Cineteca Bologna

Unread post by rogerskarsten » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:55 am

A new release in the Cineteca Bologna's "Cento anni fa" ("One hundred years ago") DVD series is now available: INFERNO (1911, dir. Francesco Bertolini), based of course on Dante's Divine Comedy and visually evocative of Gustav Doré's famous nineteenth-century illustrations of the text.

More information (in Italian) can be found here.

~Roger

Scoundrel

Unread post by Scoundrel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:28 pm

Is this the same film that was previously released with a Tangerine Dream soundtrack...?
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Yes.

Cool film, would be great to see with a more appropriate, non-vocal score.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

fredhedges

Re: New release: INFERNO (1911) from Cineteca Bologna

Unread post by fredhedges » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:43 am

Has anyone seen this version of Inferno? I have the old one with the TD soundtrack, which I am right tired of, but before I shell out for the Cineteca release I would like to know if the video edition and quality is improved any. Thanks.

Danny

Unread post by Danny » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 am

Great news! I've also seen it with the Tangerine Dream score. But the music was too distracting.

So, what is the final verdict on the score of this new release? Is it--or is it not--Tangerine Dream? I cannot find mention of it in the Italian announcement

Danny

ajabrams

Unread post by ajabrams » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Translation from the Italian description ---

"...with two distinct musical interpretations: a soundtrack of electro-acoustic music with voices and ambient sounds composed by Edison Studio and a composition for piano by Marco Dalpane ."

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 pm

I'd cross my fingers about the Dalpane score - he's definitely a talented pianist, but he's mostly known for arranging Frank Zappa's works for piano (no mean feat)

Here is his score for The General- not to my taste but I've heard worse

:
Eric Stott

kaleidoscopeworld

Unread post by kaleidoscopeworld » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:22 pm

I have the DVD! It's great. I LOVE the score by Edison Studio, but my tastes run more to the avant-garde than many people on this forum. I haven't listened to the Marco Dalpano piano accompaniment.

fredhedges

Unread post by fredhedges » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:09 pm

kaleidoscopeworld wrote:I have the DVD! It's great. I LOVE the score by Edison Studio, but my tastes run more to the avant-garde than many people on this forum. I haven't listened to the Marco Dalpano piano accompaniment.
What is the running time of this version? If I understand the description from Cineteca, theirs corrects previous damaged, mutilated or censored copies, and the old version I have is quite spotty in terms of video quality.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:57 pm

According to this Stanford site, the DVD is 66 minutes, which may include the extras:
http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/10093871" target="_blank

This site posts some video clips and restoration information, but doesn't list the length:

https://silentsplease.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/inferno/" target="_blank

Rick

kaleidoscopeworld

Unread post by kaleidoscopeworld » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:24 am

I can confirm that the length of the film is 66 minutes.

Here is a list of the extras, since the listing at Cineteca di Bologna's store is not very comprehensive:

* Il diavolo zoppo / The Crippled Devil (Ambrosio 1909) - 14'36"
* Come fu che l'ingordigia rovinò il Natale a Cretinetti / How Greediness Spoilt Foolshead's Christmas (Itala-Film 1910) - 13'18"
* Excerpt from Maciste all'inferno / Maciste in Hell (1926) - 8'28"
* Riferimenti iconografici - comparisons of Gustav Doré's illustrations and scenes in the film - 6'11"
* Dante e il muto italiano - slideshow of stills/posters/frames from Italian silent film adaptations of Dante - 5'20"

Scoundrel

Unread post by Scoundrel » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:09 am

So, is this only available from Cineteca di Bologna ...?

Is there an Amazon weblink avalable ...?
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Scoundrel wrote:So, is this only available from Cineteca di Bologna ...?

Is there an Amazon weblink avalable ...?
It's available through the Italian branch of Amazon, so you would have a familiar interface. Also, when I open this link in Google Chrome's browser, I'm offered the ability to translate the web pages (but I don't remember if I had to do anything to add that to the browser).

http://www.amazon.it/Cento-anni-fa-Infe ... a.+Inferno" target="_blank

Rick

fredhedges

Unread post by fredhedges » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 am

I ordered this film along with the 1915 Maciste from Cineteca. I will report here when it comes.

Bertrand

Unread post by Bertrand » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:01 am

I own it and have watched it.

I remember watching it with the volume turned way down so the score does not distract.

The film predates close-ups, travelling cameras, and modern film techniques. Everything is long shots from beginning to end. It's like sitting in the back row in a theater.

The movie has a few interesting moments with bat wing demon costumes but overall is a frightening bore to watch especially compared to anything silent filmed in the late 1920s.

Even when you are facinated with silent film, as you go back in time there comes a fine line between entertainment and archeology. For me, this one falls into the latter category.

Cheers!

fredhedges

Unread post by fredhedges » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:59 pm

One man's fascination is admittedly another's boredom. I received my order from Cineteca in four days (less time than it takes to get a package from Philadelphia), complete with 2 copies of a signed statement certifying that the enclosed video "contains no obscene or immoral matter, nor any matter advocating or urging treason or insurrection against the United States of America, nor any threat to take life or inflict bodily harm any person in the United States " [sic]. Having my anxiety thus relieved, I was able to enjoy the film and the several extras. The video quality is indeed improved, the piano accompaniment is appropriate and non-obtrusive, and the restored tinting adds warmth and a bit of drama. Of the extras, the excerpts from Maciste All'Inferno struck my fancy the most: there is a high quality print of this gem somewhere, and maybe it will make it to home video sometime.

La Longue Carabine

Unread post by La Longue Carabine » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:51 pm

First post on this site.
Recently gained an interest in these older films, and thought I would input some updated information on this particular release.
I ordered the Cento Anni Fa version of Inferno from Amazon Italy. Afterwards, I saw that the seller was Rarewaves USA (I simply hadn't noticed while I was purchasing). I received the package from the seller in only one week's time, though it had the wrong movie inside. Contacting them to switch the wrong item for the correct one, I was informed that they no longer had the item in stock.

Looking at the Cineteca di Bologna site, I saw that they no longer list the movie as available either.

Do any of you have any input on how I could obtain this copy of the movie?
Believe it or not, I haven't seen it yet, and refuse to watch the "Tangerine Dream soundtrack" version because I don't want my first impression of this movie marred by a an inferior soundtrack.